Pet (Peeve) Sounds

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:04 am

Gotta agree on the basses. Though it's still a pleasure to hear a good performer regardless of the instrument, when I'm playing the bass, I generally consider the low E to be low enough to throw off the balance of a track, so I would never want to go any lower. Similarly, I avoid anything above the 9th or 10th fret on the G string because by that point you're basically dropping the bass out and intruding on guitars, keys, whatever, with this weird plunky little sound. In short, I would never want a bass line with a 4-octave range, that's just ludicrous to me. But on the other hand, I'm all for expanding the possibilities of an instrument... like many have said, it all comes down to the player.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:15 am

pianos must really tick you off. :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:16 am

timbertrout wrote:Ah yes... DI piezo acoustic guitar. The sound of ass.
Yes!

Also...

Bass drums that have no bass and just click
Chorus on electric guitars
Bass slapping generally
80s snare sounds

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:31 am

Marlowe wrote: 80s snare sounds
In my opinion there is only one sound among all those listed in this topic which has NO place in any music: The 80s snare sound. Every other sound that has been named has/can be used to good effect somewhere in some type of music. IMO.

stuben_baines
audio school graduate

Post by stuben_baines » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:51 am

The Real MC wrote:
John Jeffers wrote:
narcopolo wrote:five string bass.
Dammit, I'm tired of people crapping on the 5-string bass. It's not the bass, it's the bassist. Great googly moogly, give me a kick-ass 5-string player over a shitty 4-string player ANY DAY.
That's right - a poor craftsman always blames his tools.
Well, to me the bass and the bass player are connected. The player has to make the decision to buy the 5 string so their tool is an extension of their personality. Seeing a bass player with a 5 string bass raises red flags. They may be good and tasteful, but chances are they are going to wank.

Just like if a person walked in with a mullet, ripped jeans, or a Jackson flying V guitar (ironic or not), you could make assumptions that probably would be accurate about what type of player they would be.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:21 am

Today i am recording a tune with an awesome gated snare and my new 14 string bass. What I cant figure out is whether the solo should be sax, harmonica, or sped up steel drums...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:47 am

johnny7 wrote:Today i am recording a tune with an awesome gated snare and my new 14 string bass. What I cant figure out is whether the solo should be sax, harmonica, or sped up steel drums...
hey dude, can i jam the fretless bass with you on a track?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:36 am

trodden wrote:
johnny7 wrote:Today i am recording a tune with an awesome gated snare and my new 14 string bass. What I cant figure out is whether the solo should be sax, harmonica, or sped up steel drums...
hey dude, can i jam the fretless bass with you on a track?
Can it be gated piccolo snare?

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:34 pm

Piezos on ac guitar recordings - blame Dave Matthews?

I concur that they can be made useable (have to most of the time) with some strenuous EQ cuts but I have to disagree about using fancy Acoustic DIs - I strongly prefer el cheapo passives for piezos. It helps take the nasty plasticky "stink" off of them.

Roto toms!

I have been spreading the word - First drummer brings Rotos (unironically) into the club where I do live sound - I will buy him a BOTTLE of whiskey.

Hint for drummers - Seattle club

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:36 pm

ape32 wrote:Piezos on ac guitar recordings - blame Dave Matthews?

I concur that they can be made useable (have to most of the time) with some strenuous EQ cuts but I have to disagree about using fancy Acoustic DIs - I strongly prefer el cheapo passives for piezos. It helps take the nasty plasticky "stink" off of them.

Roto toms!

I have been spreading the word - First drummer brings Rotos (unironically) into the club where I do live sound - I will buy him a BOTTLE of whiskey.

Hint for drummers - Seattle club
sweet, i can add some rotos to my bonus rocking set up.. in fact i did have two along with my regular toms7 years ago... damnit.. i live whiskey!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:47 pm

Cereal, this thread is making me giggle 'cos I have fretless bass all over my new CD, and my brother's CD is all acoustics through distorted amps!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:51 pm

dubious wrote:no i disagree.... 5 and six string basses are ALWAYS wrong.. they look silly, and they sound like shit...

given the choice between a shitty 4 string player and a good 5 string player i would make the 5 string guy play a 4 string.
stuben_baines wrote: Well, to me the bass and the bass player are connected. The player has to make the decision to buy the 5 string so their tool is an extension of their personality. Seeing a bass player with a 5 string bass raises red flags. They may be good and tasteful, but chances are they are going to wank.
*repeats self*
i recorded a bass player last weekend who had a 5 string modulus and a hartke amp. great tone, great time, great feel, as tasteful as could possibly be. a total pleasure to listen to. kid had just turned 20 that day. :shock:
i'm as biased against fret monkeys as anyone, but c'mon.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:54 pm

I've shown up for a gig with roto toms before. Dang. Not in C-attle though.

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:56 pm

Trodden -

Come on in and live whiskey!

Still have them? I got my piezo harmonica out.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:27 pm

dwlb wrote:Cereal, this thread is making me giggle 'cos I have fretless bass all over my new CD, and my brother's CD is all acoustics through distorted amps!
ahahha yeah totally...

fretless bass on this..

http://home.comcast.net/~wormwood666/01 ... ight_2.mp3

and acoustic guitars through half stacks mixed with electric guitars on this..

http://www.meisce.com/mp3/Meisce%20-%20 ... Reilly.mp3