D.I.Y. Pre-amp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ap
audio school

Post by ap » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:03 pm

peterc, awesome site. I'm sure you've probably got better things to do, but it'd be cool if you had some text explaining how the circuit works and why you made some of your decisions.

Matta, where did you get your hardware, like the rotary switches and knobs, and the chassis?

Any thoughts on using a different IC? like maybe opa2604, 2132 etc?

matta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by matta » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:34 am

Hey AP,

I'm based in South Africa, not sure where you are. Most of my stuff was sourced from all over, the knobs and switches were sourced froma local vendor. the racks was from Benkler in Germany, the Panel was from London and engraved there as well.

If you update your profile field I'll be able to try and help you as i know of a couple places in both the UK and USA to source parts, if you love in either place.

I'm sure if an opamp was pin compatible with the NE5532 you could drop it and try.

The OPA's will go up to 18V where as I think the NE5532 max voltage is 15V, but the OPA's will run on 15V as well.

I'm not sure what effect the compensation caps would do with an OPA, I've never tried.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Allison
Mad Scientist
www.ashtonaudio.com

ap
audio school

Post by ap » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:01 am

thanks matta.

Stupid OT question: can the email addresses in your profile be picked up by spam bots? After using google groups, my website became a spam magnet.

peterc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by peterc » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:06 pm

AP

The audio core is from a famous designer console from a company now out of business. I'm not a theoretician so I have not done any analysis of the circuit.

The other sections are basically building blocks I've added along the way.
Not a lot of rocket science, just nice, stable ccts that are as good as the audio design & keep up to a professional standard.

There is alot of other data here:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5150

Regards
Peter
Home of the Green Pre [ 1176neve.tripod.com ]

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:35 pm

matta wrote: Firstly all the aforementioned pres feature discrete op-amps, while Peter's feature the NE5532 IC opamp, which is not to be scoffed at.
Indeed. I pulled open two Quad 8 eq's the other day (I wanted to see how cool the opamp/trannies must be), and sho nuff...nothing but NE5532's. It's one of favorite eq's...every bit as usable as the eq in my chandler ltd-1...

matta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by matta » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:24 pm

Stupid OT question: can the email addresses in your profile be picked up by spam bots? After using google groups, my website became a spam magnet.
I'm not sure, my guess would be yes, knowing what bots can do these days....

What meant about updating your profile was merely with your 'location', not e-mail address, just so I know what part of the world you live in.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Allison
Mad Scientist
www.ashtonaudio.com

peterc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by peterc » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:06 pm

Here is an interesting take on this pre......

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewto ... &start=210

Peter
Home of the Green Pre [ 1176neve.tripod.com ]