Syncing Two Akai DPS16s

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Syncing Two Akai DPS16s

Post by Devlars » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:33 am

Well ladies gents, I have a question regarding the possibility of syncing two DAWs. I have an Akai DPS16 which I will be using for tracking drums. This session will be in a new space and using some unfamiliar equipment for a side project that my mate heads up.

What I would like to do is set up multiple mics (8 or more) rather than using one set up and running with it. Then we can pick and choose afterwards which combination of said mics best suit each song.

So my question is this: I have my own Akai DPS16 and a friend of mine has one available as well. Being that they can only record 8 inputs at once within each unit, is it possible to sync two Akais together for simultaneous recording, and how would that work for playback and wav.file creation?

Any and all advice pertinent to this post would be greatly appreciated.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:37 pm

Check in the manual. I am currently dumping 30 songs from an Akai DPS16 into Digital Performer 4.61 via Midi Time Code. Everything lines up perfectly and most of the songs are 12-16 tracks each. I'm dumping everything 2 tracks at a time. Both the G5 and the Akai are living in sync. You should be able to do the same thing with two of them.

When you are in the main project screen of the Akai, you will see an option on the bottom right for "sync". Select this, and then set your master as MTC master and the 2nd machine as MTC slave. I believe that you will need two MIDI cables to connect both machines together.

Jeff

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:31 am

Ah, wonderful. Many thanks Jeff. This will definitely be a time saver in the long run.

So long then.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

sirbergersworth
audio school graduate

Post by sirbergersworth » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:20 am

I have also done some drops into cpu from a dps16 using MTC and it worked great. 2 tracks at a time as mentioned. I havent synced them to each other but I suppose it should work. only one way to find out.
http://www.myspace.com/sirbergersworth

"In the long run, we only hit what we aim at."
-Henry David Thoreau