luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:00 pm

good suggestions, guys. keep em coming.

so no one's heard the black finger?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:22 pm

luckybastard wrote:good suggestions, guys. keep em coming.

so no one's heard the black finger?
I actually like the white finger enough that I got two of them custom racked up with xformer I/O for smashing things. The black finger is cool, but for drums, at line level, my money went to the white finger. I also have two NY2A's which is like the "grown up" black finger (understatement).

The symetrix 501 would work well.
The Symetrix 150 would work.

Try the black finger with a reamp and DI, I bet it will totally rock. Or get a white finger, and do the same. preferrably reamp in, DI out, but two DI's will work. Or put it on a send so you can trim the level to the input, then gain it back up with the pedal. Mess with it a lot. Have fun, most of all.

Matt Allison
audio school

Post by Matt Allison » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:25 pm

Alted 1612As; I've got three and I'm selling two. $200 for one $350 for both.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:24 pm

for a tight budget actually I like the Alesis 3630 for stereo buss drum compression. Super extreme squished and blended back into the drum mix. It's super cheap.
At work I use 2 distressors though.
Last edited by nestle on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:44 pm

Another shout out for the Microlimiter.

If you want it to break up all uneven, an ART Levelar may do the trick, but the Microlimiter, she is something. you might want to mix a little of the original signal back in with the decimated signal to retain some of the highs and lows, though.

You can't beat the 1176 with the "nuke" setting for that, but you'll need some scratch for one of those.

If you are tracking with a computer, the stuff from http://www.digitalfishphones.com is good. The Blockfish set at VCA would be a good starting point.

SSL has a free plugin that does the smooshing quite well. It is a digital version of thier talkback mic compressor that got used by Phil Collins in the 1980s. Don't let that scare you, it is pretty amazing.

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/resour ... lugin.html
not to worry, just keep tracking....

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:04 am

i recently obtained a dbx 163a. i mixed down some drums and did a mono send through this compressor, mostly kick drum which sounded nice and phat!

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:57 am

lyman wrote:i recently obtained a dbx 163a. i mixed down some drums and did a mono send through this compressor, mostly kick drum which sounded nice and phat!
That's a good call....

Also, there's a Furman single rackmount thingee that is just an obnoxious POS, but it does remind me of a Level Loc for a mono drum masher...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:07 pm

There's the FMR RNLA, for under $250 new.

You can really get a range of smashed-ness out of it, it's a quiet circuit, and in my brief experiments running drums through it, I liked what that "Log Rel" switch did on overheads.

Leigh

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:59 pm

I just whacked a room mic to tape with the DBX 163 (not the "X" - the wood panneled one w/rca i/o)

Way better than it should have been!

I also have a furman also - boy howdy how that thing sucks! I could turn a pretty nice UA 610 DI bass sound into a squeeky ducke farte (and nothing else despite efforts).

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:33 pm

Use a Sansamp and nothing more.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:35 pm

nestle wrote:for a tight budget actually I like the Alesis 3630 for stereo buss drum compression. Super extreme squished and blended back into the drum mix. It's super cheap.
Doesn't the 3630 run unbalanced though? Not real cool.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:43 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:
nestle wrote:for a tight budget actually I like the Alesis 3630 for stereo buss drum compression. Super extreme squished and blended back into the drum mix. It's super cheap.
Why is that a big deal with the Alesis? The dbx 163, the Microlimiter, the FMR stuff, and many more are all unbalanced.

Leigh

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:19 am

Here we go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-M62V-Lot-of-4 ... dZViewItem

I wonder how the seller will spend all his free time after he retires from this listing.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:07 pm

leigh wrote:
Jeff Robinson wrote:
Why is that a big deal with the Alesis? The dbx 163, the Microlimiter, the FMR stuff, and many more are all unbalanced.

Leigh

Aw jesus, thanks fer calling me out and saying my lil' Alesis is "uncool" I haven't had any problems with noise with that thing. The major jive problem is noisey knobs after 11 years of service. Shit I never said it was the coolest thing in the world it just has it's place in my bag of tricks. Drum buss compression is about all I use it for these days when all of my "cool" compressors are doing other things, plenty of other stuff I use is unbalanced including my Tascam 38....which is very very "COOL" thank you.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:17 pm

nestle wrote:
leigh wrote:
Jeff Robinson wrote:

Leigh
plenty of other stuff I use is unbalanced including my Tascam 38....which is very very "COOL" thank you.
pfft....balance is for ballerinas and tightrope walkers. rock on!