Best/Safe Monitoring Levels?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Muxlow
pluggin' in mics

Best/Safe Monitoring Levels?

Post by Muxlow » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:25 pm

What db do you guys monitor at?

If you know of a previous post that covers this (I'm sure there's one in there somewhere), by all means, post a link.

And YES, I UTFSF. It returned 48 pages of results for "monitoring levels db", and I just didn't have time to read past the first 5 pages.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:38 pm

I don't have a spl meter, but I monitor pretty low. The studios I have been to also monitor at just above conversation level, and then dip below conversation level every now and then for a check on levels. I stopped mixing and tracking loud after I realized that the bass seems louder than it actually is at high levels, resulting in weak low end in the final mix.

I try to keep a consistant volume for mixing, that way I get used to my room and can perceive errant frequencies a little easier. Sorta like if you skate the same bowl every day you can tell when there are weak spots.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:23 am

Usually I mix at a low conversation voice level. I basically turn it up just enough so that I can hear bass frequencies with a little thump. I like to constantly check my mix at even lower levels, say whisper level. If you can get everything balanced at low volumes, it will translate better when turned up. When I have a good basic mix started, I'll have fun and turn it up on my PA system and see if it sounds good pumping... But I try not to adjust many levels when it's turned up. Mixing loud constantly can tire your ears out.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:18 am

No offense, but, doesn't anyone "crack a book" anymore?
85db, then taper it down to see if everything is still there, check it in mono to see if it phases, thencrank it to 110db and see if the edge surround on your monitors wrinkle, if so, back off the bass till they edges stop wrinkling.
Harumph!

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:51 am

then crank it to 110db and see if the edge surround on your monitors wrinkle, if so, back off the bass till they edges stop wrinkling.
Never done that!

I like to moniter at comfortable levels that won't damage my hearing. I do test lower and higher to make sure everything is staying put and sometimes listen from outside the room to see what it sounds like from that perspective.
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:56 am

yeah 85 db SPL is a good rule. But i have more sensitive ears than others. I think 85 db SPL is too loud. I almost never listen to anything that loud. Mabey when im watching tv with my roomate, he is so deaf.

You should get an SPL meter and check and see how loud 85 db really is, then you can see where that is on your gear and its knobs/faders/meters.

You could also add SPL or Sound Pressure Level to your search. db is a very very very generic thing. theres a million different db's.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:03 am

Whatever level your comfortable is where you're comfortable... but take Brian's "go very soft so you can hear if anything disappears" and "go way loud so you can figure out what's really happening on the bottom" advice to heart... also the "does it hold up in mono" thing Brian mentioned is way important!! The mix [balances, textures, relationships] should hold true in mono or stereo... the mix should not change radically.

Best of luck with it.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:09 am

Cyan421 wrote:yeah 85 db SPL is a good rule. But i have more sensitive ears than others. I think 85 db SPL is too loud. I almost never listen to anything that loud. Mabey when im watching tv with my roomate, he is so deaf.
It's about spoken voice level.
You should get an SPL meter and check and see how loud 85 db really is, then you can see where that is on your gear and its knobs/faders/meters.

You could also add SPL or Sound Pressure Level to your search.
You should have a meter.
db is a very very very generic thing.
theres a million different db's.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Harumph!

Muxlow
pluggin' in mics

Post by Muxlow » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:50 am

My meter is reading 65-70 db at normal listening levels, and even this is a bit loud for all-day use. About right for when I mix, though.

And to whoever's listening at 85-110 db on a regular basis, enjoy your tinnitis in a few years!

nakedemperor
audio school

Post by nakedemperor » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:03 am

Brian wrote:No offense, but, doesn't anyone "crack a book" anymore?
Why do people feel compelled to complain about other people's posts? If you've wasted SOoooOO much of your valuable time reading someone else's "faulty" post, why waste more of it reaming them out for offending you? I'm talking about the "UTFSF" and "RTFM" guys, but even this "crack a book" comment is annoying. Nobody asked you to read the post, much less reply to it. It didn't sound like a demand, just a question for anyone that had time to answer. It's not your job to read every post, it's not your responsibility to keep the board free of duplicates, it's not costing you any money, so WHY do you care what a post says? Why do you guys constantly have to open your pie hole every time someone irritates you with a question you consider "dumb"? You saw by the title what the post was. If it so offended you, why bother opening the post and replying at all? I just don't get that.

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:27 am

I can't believe I wasted my time reading nakeemporer's post - rants are never my favorite!

Jeez... I could have been cracking a book or reading someone else's post... are we O.T. yet?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:16 pm

On the meter tip, I have a Rat Shack meter I paid about US$30 for maybe 10 years ago; looks new, still have the box and manual, etc.

I was in a used music instrument store this past weekend, and they wanted US$50 for a real ratty one.

I wonder if it would make me mix better because it's vintage?

I have also for the last 10 years meant to record from the built in mic (it actually has a 1/4" output jack); anyone ever try that?

Finally, I wanted to note that, like recognizing frequencies through practice, you learn dB's, also, especially in "your" room.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:21 pm

I usually keep my monitor amplification at a set level which makes it not so hard to gauge relative loudness.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:03 pm

nakedemperor wrote:
Brian wrote:No offense, but, doesn't anyone "crack a book" anymore?
Why do people feel compelled to complain about other people's posts? If you've wasted SOoooOO much of your valuable time reading someone else's "faulty" post, why waste more of it reaming them out for offending you? I'm talking about the "UTFSF" and "RTFM" guys, but even this "crack a book" comment is annoying. Nobody asked you to read the post, much less reply to it. It didn't sound like a demand, just a question for anyone that had time to answer. It's not your job to read every post, it's not your responsibility to keep the board free of duplicates, it's not costing you any money, so WHY do you care what a post says? Why do you guys constantly have to open your pie hole every time someone irritates you with a question you consider "dumb"? You saw by the title what the post was. If it so offended you, why bother opening the post and replying at all? I just don't get that.
Why do people read things when they are looking to be pissed off? Beats Me.
enjoy your tinnitus in a few years
I've been doing largescale concert sound and recording for 25 years straight now, HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT?? All this waiting is KILLING ME!
Harumph!

mus1k_freak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mus1k_freak » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:18 pm

ive always been taught to monitor at at least 80db, you know what they say

if its to loud, your to old! haha
doctors practice, musicians perform