1/2" 8 track synched w SONAR

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

1/2" 8 track synched w SONAR

Post by ckeene » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:07 pm

anyone have any luck striping a SMPTE track on an 8 track open reel and having SONAR chase it? My plan is to track drums and vox to tape and everything else digital. Any success stories, failures, words of wisdom or general caveats?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Keene

mfdu
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mfdu » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:03 pm

i can tell you it works geat using a midiman 8x8 to read/write smpte, and locking that to protools.
'toos follows the tape transport like a total champ - locks up in an instant and i'm happy.

but as regards sonar - can't help sorry.

chris.
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

MegaMutt
audio school graduate

Post by MegaMutt » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:29 am

I pretty sure Sonar will not chase SMPTE. You'll need to get a SMPTE to MTC converter in order to lock up. You can usually find a used MOTU MidiTIme Piece on ebay relatively cheap. Once you convert to MTC, it will lock to Sonar just fine.

Let me know how this works out, because I'm looking at getting an Otari 1/2" machine to do exactly the same thing....

-rich

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:54 pm

Sonar seems to have problems locking to external sync. I used to lock Sonar (1.x, so mabye they've fixed this) via MTC through a MOTU and I could never predict how long it would take to lock up. Sometimes it would lock for a few seconds, lose sync, then jump to the correct spot. Mabye it's gotten better, but proceed with caution.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:57 am

Hey, thanks for the advice! Will check w Cakewalk to see if I can sync ok to SMPTE or not.

ck