hooking up a good keyboard for recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

hooking up a good keyboard for recording

Post by dungeonsound615 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:40 pm

So this may sound like a stupid dumb question and i probably already know the answer. Th eonly keyboards i have really recorded have consisted of consumer grade casios and yamahas. Now i have a session with a real keyboard player using a real keyboard, and i want to make sure i have everything i need to go direct into my board(yamaha AW4416). Would i just go into two seperate channels on the board for left and right using a stereo cable out of the keyboard or am i thinking all wrong. Im probably over thinking it but thanks for the help.

Mike

roy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by roy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:15 pm

Your method should work fine, if the 1/4" inputs on your recorder can raise up the instrument level that the keyboard will be putting out. When I record keyboard, I either use a DI for each channel, then into a mic pre, or I use a mic pre that has a special 'instrument' jack.

If you have a pair of DI's. give that route a try. Otherwise, try to get as much level from the keys into the 1/4" inputs on your recorder.

Good luck and have fun.

Roy

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:39 pm

Mike, got your phone message but I've been in sessions all day...

You can just take an instrument cable from each of the L&R outputs into 2 channels of your Yamaha, and set levels. Roy's suggestions about a pre with an instrument in are good too. I usually just go through my mixer.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/