Zombies Reverb

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Regular Guy
gettin' sounds

Zombies Reverb

Post by Regular Guy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:56 am

What is the source of the glorious vocal reverb heard on Zombies recordings? Where can I find such a device/something similar? (yes, I tried the search function)

squarewave
audio school

Post by squarewave » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:20 am

i think they recorded odessey and oracle (sp) at abbey road and as such i believe they should be using one of their big plates for reverb. if you're talking about 'time of the season' it's on this record...

by the way, this album is fucking amazing - i discovered it recently and it's already one of my favorites of all time... and it's self-produced which was very rare at the time...

sw

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Barry Jive » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:14 am

I love that album too. It's a little too long with some thin spots, but I really think "Care of Cell 44" is one of the best songs like....ever.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:47 am

squarewave wrote:i think they recorded odessey and oracle...

by the way, this album is fucking amazing - i discovered it recently and it's already one of my favorites of all time... and it's self-produced which was very rare at the time...

sw
Yeah !

ELECTRIC PRUNES Mass In F Minor is kinda cool too
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:14 pm

squarewave wrote:i think they recorded odessey and oracle (sp) at abbey road and as such i believe they should be using one of their big plates for reverb.
I thought they were chambers...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:47 pm

I would guess it's a chamber.
I LOVE that record!

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:35 am

Abbey Road had a chamber and EMT plates, both of which would have got some use.

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:35 am

the record was recorded by Emmerick (i think) at the same time the beatles were working on the white album and floyd were doing saucerful... and the pretty things were there was well laying down Sf Sorrow (fuck!!!!!!)

i remember reading that the zombies would specifically request that the studio be left EXACTLY how the beatles left it so they could play around with all the gear ... which in turn dictated alot of the sounds on the record... they used a tonne of melotron cause they couldnt afford a real string or brass section

that period is just untouchable though.. norman smith working on the pretties and the floyd at the same tiem as oddyseey is getting laid down is just MIND BOGGLING.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:48 am

That's gotta be the peak of British recording, that period. It's sucha gorgeous album- i'm forever giving copies of it to people when i discover they don't have it. And we have to thank uncle Al for it a little bit. Kooper, of course, the Forrest Gump of rock. He's the one that got it released in America and he still gets a little misty eyed when you ask about that album.

That's also an album that is very worth seeking out in mono vinyl. You think the drums in "Care Of Cell 44" are powerful? Check them out on vinyl in mono. Impeccable.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

Rivers
gettin' sounds

Post by Rivers » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:41 am

Amen.
O and O is a great album but man the Zombies had a 3 or 4 year run leading up to that album that was hard to match...a bunch of great singles and maybe even better B sides.
Hunt down the Zombies Heaven box set.
4 cd's of just about everything they recorded including some live BBc stuff and a several demos plus a huge booklet/biography.
Smell the Magic.
www.katp.com

Matt Allison
audio school

Post by Matt Allison » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:39 am

Dubious wrote:the record was recorded by Emmerick (i think) at the same time the beatles were working on the white album and floyd were doing saucerful
I had heard that they actually started up in the same room as the Beatles were in for Pepper, *the day after* the Beatles wrapped up Pepper! - and kept the same vibe going. You can definitely hear it in the bass tone.

I also try to continuously turn people on to this amazing album...

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:59 am

If you listen to Cell 44 when you first wake up it is impossible to have a bad day.
End the day with "This will be our year" and you will never get sick or die.

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:29 pm

wow that's funny... I finall bit the bullet after years of hearing about O&O last week and got the expanded edition... I've gotta say that Care Of Cell 44 and Maybe After He's Gone are two perfect examples of glorious baroque, chamber, psych- pop or whatever you want to call it...

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

contramark
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by contramark » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:15 pm

japmn wrote:If you listen to Cell 44 when you first wake up it is impossible to have a bad day.
End the day with "This will be our year" and you will never get sick or die.
ha thats awsome. my friend introduced me to this album less than a year ago and it already makes my top 5 all time.

for the question, id say EMT plate 140 reverb with some Space Echo or other tape slapback effect will get you close to what your looking for.