PC OR MAC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

billiamwalker
pushin' record

PC OR MAC

Post by billiamwalker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:15 am

i tried to do a quick search but couldn't find any debates on it.

I'm about to save up to begin building a better computer for my studio.

so... Should i build a PC or a Mac?

I'll be using it for recording (anywhere from 8 to 16 channels at a time) and mixing and mastering the projects when i'm done. So i'll need a monster. (up to 48 tracks running in the program)

I use 2 firepods running into Cubase or Sonar 3.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:05 am

I'd say choose your DAW software first, and then worry about the hardware.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:26 am

Phiz wrote:I'd say choose your DAW software first, and then worry about the hardware.
Exactly. Both Mac & PC can do exactly what you want - main thing is to find the application that works the way you like to work and then get the hardware configuration that is recommended for it. Which one is "better" is completely subjective to the end user.

For my own work - I use a PC native app called SAWStudio - http://www.sawstudio.com - on Pentium 4 3GHz workstations I built myself.
It can easily do what you are asking.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:35 am

Cellotron wrote:
Phiz wrote:I'd say choose your DAW software first, and then worry about the hardware.
Exactly. Both Mac & PC can do exactly what you want - main thing is to find the application that works the way you like to work and then get the hardware configuration that is recommended for it. Which one is "better" is completely subjective to the end user.

For my own work - I use a PC native app called SAWStudio - http://www.sawstudio.com - on Pentium 4 3GHz workstations I built myself.
It can easily do what you are asking.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Steve,

what are you using to record through. ex. what interface or mixer are you using? i checked out hte program you're using and it looks really cool. but i don't know if that program would work with the firepod.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:57 am

You must have been in a real hurry. 22 topics using "PC" "Mac" and "debate" as keywords :D

Seriously, computer hardware is the ultimate in YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). I use PCs because (a) I work with them every day in my day job as a datamart guy, (b) because I happen to come across some cheap PC's from my dad and work, (c) I was interested in DAW software that seem to favor PCs (Audition- no Mac version) and (d) most of my peripherals favored USB 2.0, although I now have both USB and Firewire in spades.

I did cut my teeth on Macs, and I'm looking at the latest round of stuff and will probably pull the trigger sometime in the next 12 months for a real box. Lots to consider: Dual Core, Windows Vista, Audition has 2.0 now, hardware controller compatibility, hard drive storage that may warrant a RAID array, on and on.

There's no good or bad time to buy. I'd go with whatever you're more familiar with between PC and Mac, and go from there. You can always upgrade or switch.
Last edited by kayagum on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:00 pm

kayagum wrote:You must have been in a real hurry. 22 topics using "PC" "Mac" and "debate" as keywords :D
haha i caught you in an edit. i'm at work so yes i'm in a hurry. and i did search those but i was looking for a topic actually telling me whether people preferred one over another. not just things about each one.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:07 pm

Last edited by kayagum on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:07 pm

billiamwalker wrote: Steve,

what are you using to record through. ex. what interface or mixer are you using? i checked out hte program you're using and it looks really cool. but i don't know if that program would work with the firepod.
Hi Bill -
SAWStudio can work with any soundcard that has MME or ASIO drivers - and I believe there are a number of users who have used Firepods with it. I mainly do mastering and have one box with a Lynx One & a Terratec Phase 22 and a second box with a Sydec Mixtreme 192 tied to an ibox-AES-4. I've had the Sydec card tied to a Tascam DM-24 also.

The recommended sound cards for best latency & performance with SAWStudio are made by
RME - http://www.rme-audio.com
&
Sydec - http://www.sydec.be

People have reported good performance from solution by Echo, M-audio, Lynx and others though.

I've been seriously thinking about getting an RME Fireface 800 - http://www.rme-audio.com/english/firewire/ff800.htm - as many SAW users are reporting excellent performance with it - and it would give me a nicely portable solution for location work via laptop also.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:27 pm

Sorry if I was a snot. I do think you would appreciate the simplicity of using Macs. PCs require some tweaking, but if you know what you're doing, they can run great too.

Really, the 75% reason I'm using PCs is because I'm cheap, which is a character flaw that I share with the vast majority of this board. :wink:

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:27 pm

kayagum wrote:Shit you're lazy :D

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... mac+debate

You actually answered your own question. Go Mac. You don't have the attention span to deal with PCs. Seriously.
obviously you didn't read what i said. YES I'M IN A HURRY I'M AT WORK DIP!

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:35 pm

kayagum wrote:Sorry if I was a snot. I do think you would appreciate the simplicity of using Macs. PCs require some tweaking, but if you know what you're doing, they can run great too.

Really, the 75% reason I'm using PCs is because I'm cheap, which is a character flaw that I share with the vast majority of this board. :wink:

well despite my asking.. i'm not computer stupid. haha. i don't mind tweaking and i have always favored PC over Mac because i've grown up using it. just making sure there wasn't any problem with using a PC.

so yes, that last one was informative. thanks

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:54 pm

This might be the first PC/Mac thread in history where devotees of one didn't flame devotees of the other. Of course, it's not over yet.

Software first, then soundcard, then system. That's how to buy.

--JES

stratology
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stratology » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:35 am

OK, I've used both. That's why PCs for audio are, for me, totally out of question.
PCs are good for gaming (lots of games available), and for an office type corporate environment, if you're an IT guy - it gives you a job.
In my experience, PCs require constant babysitting, just to keep things working. You have to set up the machine exclusively for music (no internet etc.), spent ages playing with setup, until you get to a stage when things (sort of) work, and then NEVER change anything, as it could mess things up. Even then, things tend to stop working after a while. All of the pro studio guys I know who use Windows have someone working for them who is extremely proficient with Windows - you have to hire a techie, or be one yourself.
Multitasking is completely broken in XP (compared to OS X). Drag and drop is a joke. The filesystem is a mess.
If you use the internet at all, you need antivirus software, which conflicts with LOTS of other apps.
I worked in an office environment in a software company for a while. Top IT guys there. Very interesting, because you have lots of Windows users in one room. The number of issues in such an environment is totally ridiculous.
Windows boxes look very good if you look at their specs on paper. If you want to get some work done, it's a different story.

If you want to be productive, use a Mac. Setup is a breeze, things just work. You do not have to customise the OS to get things running. You can use the machine for everything. I have tons of apps on the PowerBook, and constantly try things out. No negative effects on the music software. If you work with files, spring-loading folders, Expose, etc. allow an easy, quick workflow. Hardware is of good quality, it lasts. Completely integrated with the OS. No worries if your Firewire card will work with your audio interface or not.

Initial cost for Macs is higher, but the TCO is lower, as the hardware lasts longer, is more reliable, you have no expenses for antivirus software, etc.

And IF you are a geek, you can go much deeper into the system on an OS X machine than on a Windows box, as it's Unix based. Open the Kernel in a text editor and mess with it, if you desire. And you get a complete development environment for free with the OS, no need to purchase CodeWarrior (or crappy Visual Basic etc.).

I would even recommend getting an older, second hand Mac over a new Windows box, if your budget is limited.

Frank

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:04 am

stratology wrote:OK, I've used both. That's why PCs for audio are, for me, totally out of question.
PCs are good for gaming (lots of games available), and for an office type corporate environment, if you're an IT guy - it gives you a job.
In my experience, PCs require constant babysitting, just to keep things working. You have to set up the machine exclusively for music (no internet etc.), spent ages playing with setup, until you get to a stage when things (sort of) work, and then NEVER change anything, as it could mess things up. Even then, things tend to stop working after a while. All of the pro studio guys I know who use Windows have someone working for them who is extremely proficient with Windows - you have to hire a techie, or be one yourself.
Multitasking is completely broken in XP (compared to OS X). Drag and drop is a joke. The filesystem is a mess.
If you use the internet at all, you need antivirus software, which conflicts with LOTS of other apps.
I worked in an office environment in a software company for a while. Top IT guys there. Very interesting, because you have lots of Windows users in one room. The number of issues in such an environment is totally ridiculous.
Windows boxes look very good if you look at their specs on paper. If you want to get some work done, it's a different story.

If you want to be productive, use a Mac. Setup is a breeze, things just work. You do not have to customise the OS to get things running. You can use the machine for everything. I have tons of apps on the PowerBook, and constantly try things out. No negative effects on the music software. If you work with files, spring-loading folders, Expose, etc. allow an easy, quick workflow. Hardware is of good quality, it lasts. Completely integrated with the OS. No worries if your Firewire card will work with your audio interface or not.

Initial cost for Macs is higher, but the TCO is lower, as the hardware lasts longer, is more reliable, you have no expenses for antivirus software, etc.

And IF you are a geek, you can go much deeper into the system on an OS X machine than on a Windows box, as it's Unix based. Open the Kernel in a text editor and mess with it, if you desire. And you get a complete development environment for free with the OS, no need to purchase CodeWarrior (or crappy Visual Basic etc.).

I would even recommend getting an older, second hand Mac over a new Windows box, if your budget is limited.

Frank
Wow, the first post ever that i've read that has actually gotten me to consider Mac.

i'll do a little research into my finances.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:32 am

I don't think you can use 2 firepods on a pc b.t.w.
I think that's a Mac only thing with their new core audio aggregate devices setup.
Check with presonus before you make an expensive mistake.