onyx 800

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

onyx 800

Post by operator_tape » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:04 am

Does anyone use this as a tracking device? I am wondering how the pre-amps sound and the converters, I am planning to run it thorough uts adat output into my emu 1820M

I was looking at some converter that are 8 channel, such as the apogee (in my dreams), tango 24, rme 8 ds.pro and such.

I am woindering if its worth the money to just get a mackie onyx 800r or get converters and then build my pre-amps, thats acually what I am thinking.

I think I will save money getting the onyx 800 but I like to have control over my pre-amps, like haveing two hamptones, and four sevcenth circle audio pres or green pres, does my idea make any sense? Or am I just being a recording geek and trying to control my sound to much to make sure the fidelity is Pro. (thats sutch a loose term)

I just want to create the best sounding recordings possible, and waste as little money as possible aswell,

If I would get the converters I would probably need a wordclock to clock everything, anyways the later is probably goin to take me a year before I accomplish it. but the fidelity will be there.

Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks

operator_tape

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:54 pm

I have a 800R. The pres are very good. I've described them as "hyper-neutral" I haven't worked with many nice pre's so I'm not the best judge as to what else would be out there. I'm absolutly loving them on toms and kick. I still prefer my Aphex 101 for snare and Art MP's for overheads. For other sources it's pretty much whatever I feel like dealing with at the time. I still feel like I need to build up a nice "money" vocal chain, but I feel like for tracking drums this things going to stick around a long time in my studio. The MS matrix and the DI's are very handy features.

The 800R can take a line input and bypass the pre so it can be used just for it's AD, (the analog in and outs are on 25pin d-sub connectors) so if at some point you upgrade pre's or just want something different, you can just use the converters. The conversion is a touch better than my MOTU 828 MKII. The box has a lot of high end detail in the sound of the pres and also in the converters, it's more glassy than warm.

hope this helps.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:54 am

I had the smaller 400f, and I thought it was amazing. Also amazingly buggy and problematic, which is why I sold it. I don't think the 800 has the same difficulties.

I've used lots of great pres, and I thought the onyx pres were fantastic. Not boring, not hyped, just good. Plenty of detail, but it won't sound like the Beatles, so if you want color gear, go elsewhere. And no, the onyx is not the 'money' vocal chain pre, but it's got to be useful just about anywhere else. Funny, I'd probably put more money into a pre that recorded snare well before shelling out for manley vox box or whatever.

I also thought the converters were stellar for the money. I had a hard time hearing much difference (even after stacking tracks) between the onyx and the apogee 48k i'd been using. I'm using the Lucid ADDA now, and it beats the pants off of both of them. Used, they can be had relatively inexpensively, too. There was an 8 channel adda on ebay like a week ago for $1200. I'm surprised they haven't gotten the attention that apogee has, but also grateful...the prices would be through the roof.

Since you're looking at $1000 converters, i'd also take a hard look at the Metric Halo 2882. It's supposed to be great, too.

kb