Should I give up analog?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kevjones
studio intern

Should I give up analog?

Post by Kevjones » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:03 pm

I have an 8-track Fostex recorder and a TASCAM m-1508 mixer and as much as I like recording on the set up, I'm thinking I should sell it all and go digital. I already have a G4 labtop that I could just max out the memory, buy logic and be set.

My reasoning is based on three thoughts/goals:

1. I want to invest more in mic pres but I want to have equipment such as a mellotron and a hammond B-3. As far as space, time and money go I'd rather buy a midi-controller and then invest in programs that mimic these instruments. I'm guessing that would be cheaper and better-sounding than buying a keyboard for the same price that has those sounds.

2. I want to record drums with my drum machine but even when I turn down the machine it sounds like shit; it clips unless its REALLY quiet. I'm thinking I could use a program like REason and just make drums with samples and come up with better results.

3. I have no way of mixing down my recordings to a CD. I bought a E-MU 0404 hoping to do so to my PC but it's only 833 MHz and its RAM is maxed out at 512 MB. It struggles when it tries to record on a program like cool edit pro.

So, instead of arguing about sound quality, let's talk about what I could do within my budget - very little, unless I sell my equipment, including my drum set. I care more about getting a good recording with a ton of instruments than an amazing recording, which I can't even get close to with my set up.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:07 am

sorry, no opinions but I used to do multitrack recording on a far far lesser PC machine. you should be able to record a two track mix. I mean, at least until you back down and go digital, you'll have a way to make a friggin CD.

if you can reinstall the OS, do so. If not, google 'background tasks' and turn it all off. delete anything you dont use and run 'defrag' on the drive.

Or, can you use that interface on your nice g4?

Will

MD
gettin' sounds

Post by MD » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:42 am

Points one and two above sound more like sound generation than recording. You could use the computer to run software intruments like organs, synths, and drum machines, and record that audio on to your analog 8-track.

And I think you're right that you can get good stuff cheaper, or sometimes even free, in softare as opposed to a keyboard. For example, the nord electro hardare keyboard, which sounds fantastic for rhodes and organ, costs $1600. NI B4 (organ) and Lounge Lizard (electric piano) are softarre instruments that run a couple hundred each, sound really really great, There are also lesser but good instruments in the same categories that are free!

you could also use the computer to mix down to two track and burn a CD. (Then you would need to get a decent two channel interface)

So, without giving up the analog or investing too much in you computer, you could have the best of both worlds, if you would like to keep workng in analog.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:07 am

I agree with the other two post above.
Keep the anolog stuff and upgrade the digital you have. The anolog stuff will let you keep working while you save up money to upgrade the digital stuff. Once the digital stuff is upgraded you can use the anolog gear as front end to the digital (record to digital through tape).

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:54 am

Don't bail on your analog gear, but do get into a Pro Tools rig.

Track your drums to tape- ALWAYS- and run those tracks into Pro Tools for your overdubs and mix.

I was running a G4 Mac with 832MB of Ram and 400 Mhz processor an still was able to record 16-tracks in at a time. Your computer should be able to handle that. I think I'd look to Cooledit as the reason for the choke.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:34 pm

I am still running a 733mHz machine--with Windows ME, no less--and not only do I have no trouble recording stereo to it and burning CDs, I did a whole multitrack album on it. As has been stated above, the problem is ikely not that an 833 is a "slow" machine.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Kevjones
studio intern

Post by Kevjones » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:56 pm

I messed around some more and I found that I can actually record tracks just fine, especially when I don't have anything else running. But what happens when I start playing midi instruments at the same time? Will my set up be able to handle it?

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:09 pm

dwlb wrote:with Windows ME, no less
I knew you were a depraved sicko.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:03 pm

syrupcore wrote:
dwlb wrote:with Windows ME, no less
I knew you were a depraved sicko.

:biggergrin:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/