Mike Mogis

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TeleKing
ass engineer

Mike Mogis

Post by TeleKing » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:41 pm

Am I the only one?

I know a lot of people aren't necessarily into the "indie" scene, but this guy makes the best records I've heard in a very long time.

He's a master at space and swirl. What is "swirl?" Listen to his records.

Unfortunately he'll never get the recognition he deserves because he doesn't record truly famous people, at least not yet.

Do yourself a favor and go to Saddlecreekrecords.com and get familiar with his work. He truly is a genius.

Thanks to Tape Op for recognizing this guy.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:36 pm

I agree...
I think Rilo Kiley's More Adventurous is one of the best engineered newer albums.
Also b.t.w. he was on the cover of the last issue of Tape Op. I think he's famous enough now....

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:21 am

I completely follow you!!! I listen to all of his records. What are your favorites that he has done? Man, he's so good. His tones are awesome. He has a signature snare tone thats for sure...

I love the desaparecidos record, lifted, the ugly organ, amongst some others...

He's just fucking awesome.

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewfoshee » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:24 am

Mike Mogis is freaking awesome! Has anyone checked out his studio's website? (www.prestorecording.com) Hasn't been updated since '02 but has a lot of cool pics of the different control rooms, live room, etc. Man, just picked up Digital Ash in a Digital Urn. Would you listen to the percussion on song #3???? I can't figure out what's going on there, sounds amaaazing!

Anyways, this guy's my idle. I can't believe this is the only thread I've found on him!

PS - The article in Tape Op was shweet!
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:57 am

Actually Digital Ash Digital Urn was one album I wish he would have left the electronics to someone else... I don't think he did such a hot job in whatever software sequencer using whatever plugin synths and samplers he used.
However the engineering and production on I'm Wide Awake It's Morning is amazing...

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:45 pm

his records sound great - really organic and lush and at other times stark and minimalist - love the song:OHIA record he did (ghost tropic) and more adventurous.....
the new rules : there are no rules

patternagainstuser
alignin' 24-trk

Post by patternagainstuser » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:45 am

joninc wrote: love the song:OHIA record he did (ghost tropic)
i can't agree more. i work midnights, and always put that record on when i want to get DEEP in my own head. it puts me in a trance. i love how all S:O records were recorded with different noted indie producers, and each one really takes on a unique feel because of it.

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Barry Jive » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:54 am

andrewfoshee wrote:Mike Mogis is freaking awesome! Has anyone checked out his studio's website? (www.prestorecording.com) Hasn't been updated since '02 but has a lot of cool pics of the different control rooms, live room, etc. Man, just picked up Digital Ash in a Digital Urn. Would you listen to the percussion on song #3???? I can't figure out what's going on there, sounds amaaazing!

Anyways, this guy's my idle. I can't believe this is the only thread I've found on him!

I was actually a little dissapointed by the article. Everything was interesting, but more on the philisophical side of engineering versus producing and what it's like to have a studio. I would have appreciated a little more nuts and bolts about his process. I'm just one man though.

I love Mike Mogis.

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:47 pm

only good things to say. he's a great musician as well.

eric

Seifer
audio school graduate

Post by Seifer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:26 pm

Barry Jive wrote:
andrewfoshee wrote:Mike Mogis is freaking awesome! Has anyone checked out his studio's website? (www.prestorecording.com) Hasn't been updated since '02 but has a lot of cool pics of the different control rooms, live room, etc. Man, just picked up Digital Ash in a Digital Urn. Would you listen to the percussion on song #3???? I can't figure out what's going on there, sounds amaaazing!

I was actually a little dissapointed by the article. Everything was interesting, but more on the philisophical side of engineering versus producing and what it's like to have a studio. I would have appreciated a little more nuts and bolts about his process. I'm just one man though.

I love Mike Mogis.
Engineers never give out their secrets. Look through past articles with other famous guys. They all say typical things like "put the mic in the right spot" but they never say what they really do.
what if

TeleKing
ass engineer

Speaking of Mogis

Post by TeleKing » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:35 am

How do you think he goes about getting his drum sounds?

I've never had any luck getting drums to sound like he does. I know Presto has a pretty big room. I assume it's a lot of room and room mics.

They don't sound overly compressed.

Thoughts?

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:08 am

Seifer wrote:
Barry Jive wrote:

I love Mike Mogis.
Engineers never give out their secrets. Look through past articles with other famous guys. They all say typical things like "put the mic in the right spot" but they never say what they really do.
If an engineer claims to have a "secret" he is a full of shit and a jerk.

mike

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:33 am

Michael Gregory Bridavsky wrote:
Seifer wrote:
Barry Jive wrote:

I love Mike Mogis.
If an engineer claims to have a "secret" he is a full of shit and a jerk.

mike
That is a fucking awesome insult. I'm going to use it. It's so blunt. Hahaha.

Presto is a neat sounding room, Mike and AJ are great engineers, and they both do great production work.

The amount of time spent on drum preperation in that room is...well...it's a lot of time.

Mike has no secrets, he just...he just does it.

Ian

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:56 am

i am monster face wrote: That is a fucking awesome insult. I'm going to use it. It's so blunt. Hahaha.

Presto is a neat sounding room, Mike and AJ are great engineers, and they both do great production work.

The amount of time spent on drum preperation in that room is...well...it's a lot of time.

Mike has no secrets, he just...he just does it.

Ian
hi ian,
it wasn't really meant to be an insult. it's just that there are no tricks or secrets to engineering. if you claim to have "secrets" than you must be insecure about what you are actually doing. There are a billion things that make an engineer good, and all of them deal with knowledge, skill and experience. Fairy dust does not factor into this equation.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:10 am

Oh, I know it wasn't an insult in the context of this post. But I think I'm going to use it as one from here on out.

I know what you mean though. There is no magic potion that will make a drum track sound better. I wish there was. I could use it.

Well, I guess there's drugs, but that's usually on the listening end, not engineering.

Ian