Renting for Mastering

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Vin CYCLONE
audio school

Renting for Mastering

Post by Vin CYCLONE » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:42 am

Going to do a mastering job and need your opinion. Fast rock band, has somewhat prominent kick drum, which sounds good, but afraid of pumping compressor. Want to rent Massive Passive EQ and a compressor: which might be Manley Variable MU or Chandler TG1. (Also have Q10/C4/L1 in plug in chain if needed.) The Fairchild is probably out of budget. Given the prominent kick drum, which limiter would work best? Any comment on comparative sound characteristics? Have used the Fairchild, but never the Manley or Chandler, that I can recall.
Thanks,
Vin

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:21 pm

I kinda like the Tube Tech stereo multiband compressor. Not super-fast, but sounds good. It may help zero in on the lows a bit more.

The Chandler also sounds great, I don't know the Manley...

Vin CYCLONE
audio school

Post by Vin CYCLONE » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:06 am

Thanks. I tried the Tube Tech at AES, but in cans, of course, so I think it was cool, but could not hear all that well. I'll look into who might rent that, locally Dreamhire does not have it. I'm hearing the Chandler might be a little slow for this application.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:11 am

Weird. I know I rented one from Dreamhire a couple years ago. They must have sold it...

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:38 am

I regularly use the Manley Vari-Mu with an outboard L2 and heavy kick drum has never been a problem.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:52 am

The Manley Vari MU kind of has a reputation of softening up kick drums. If you are looking to keep things more hard edged I might look more towards something like the API 2500, DW Fearn VT-7 or Cranesong STC-8 - and you should be able to still get any "warmth" you want to impart in the track via the Massive Passive.

I haven't heard the Chandler yet but I have a couple of friends that love theirs - still I don't know whether it fits your application or not.

Best regards,
Steve Berson