MICING A TELEVISION (Not the speaker)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CabreeToe
alignin' 24-trk

MICING A TELEVISION (Not the speaker)

Post by CabreeToe » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:03 pm

I am looking to mic a television to get the sound of it powering on. But I can't seem to find the spot to get the real "P-CLUNK...HWEIII" and the ZAP-burp. I'v tried behind it and in front and slightly above. I want to use this as a base element for a larger sound design. - transistions etc.
It's difficult for me to find. the spot cause I'm afraid of turning it on and off over and over and over...I'm sure I'd kill it.

Has anyone else ever mic'd a T.V. in such a way or for any purpose?

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:14 pm

just sample that HBO thing they play before every movie and show

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:34 pm

You'd need to license the HBO thing if the product were going to be released... then again, possession is 9/10th of the law... but you do have the moral "what's right is right" dilemma.

If you can pull off the back cover I'll bet you can find where the power supply is... try micing that on one track and mic'ing the "yoke" [the back of the TV tube]... one or both should get it for you.

You can't get that sound from a 'flatscreen' [or so I've been told... there won't be one in our house for many moons to come... at least until the kidz get out of college].

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:12 pm

Why not get a cheap-ass old tv from a thrift store that you won't mind running into the ground?

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:30 pm

Why mic a TV at all?

What do you think that sound should sound like?

I'd record a few other elements & layer 'em together so I had my own version of a TV powering up. Maybe get some metal or bricks dropping for the "clunk" and put some kind of static or electrical noise on top of it.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:59 pm

jmoose wrote:Why mic a TV at all?

What do you think that sound should sound like?

I'd record a few other elements & layer 'em together so I had my own version of a TV powering up. Maybe get some metal or bricks dropping for the "clunk" and put some kind of static or electrical noise on top of it.
yes, it sounds like a job for minimoog or Reason.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

CabreeToe
alignin' 24-trk

Post by CabreeToe » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:58 pm

Well sampling HBO could be a start and would be a welcome addition to my library but alas I have not HBO nor the desire to try for a license if I ever felt I needed to go that way. Also it's not quite the sound I'm going for.

I'm looking more for the electrical thumping from my living room set. (after all I'm sure you all know exactly how that sounds)

I like the idea of taking off the back panel, although I'm sure that would void the warranty but... who cares right?
A cheeep tv from a thrift store? Good idea. Not gonna do it. I want MY TV.

I want to build on this with other elements and I could just try dropping batteries on styrofoam or something.

Thanks for the ideas.

Please keep 'em comin'.

Does anybody know of other items, appliances, records, etc... that have good electric thump. (kinda dirty).

Also I have an old window unit AC that has an awesome sound but I'm scared that it'll kill my PC via voltage spikes and EMP.
the unit two rooms over put a distorion line several pixels thick through my LCD monitor (it went away after a couple of power cycles but I was shit scared I just spent 500 on it. DAMN!) --that's another post for another topic altogether.--
blah blah blah blah.....

thanks.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:40 am

CabreeToe wrote:Well sampling HBO could be a start and would be a welcome addition to my library but alas I have not HBO nor the desire to try for a license if I ever felt I needed to go that way. Also it's not quite the sound I'm going for.
just for the record, the "HBO noise" occurs at the startup of any DVD by HBO, in addition to the network programming.

so, if that was what you were looking for (which I know it isn't), you could just rent a season of The Sopranos or Deadwood, and sample that intro sound there.

both good shows, anyway.

[<|>]

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Re: MICING A TELEVISION (Not the speaker)

Post by Harry » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:32 am

[

Has anyone else ever mic'd a T.V. in such a way or for any purpose?[/quote]

I really doubt it:>)(that was meant as a compliment BTW)

I don't see how you could do any better than sticking a mic where it sounds the loudest to your ear. (or maybe 2 mics?)

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:56 am

Watching the new episode of the Sopranos after having read this thread I realized that it's more of a "TV broadcaster turning off the transmitter" kind of a sound than a "TV seeing power for the first time today" kind of a sound.

The front of the HBO thing might be kinda useful... but the subsequent [sculpted... seems like they added some 4-500Hz] white noise isn't really what I think the brother is trying to achieve.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:05 am

Be careful if you do take the back off the TV. There's more than enough power running through those thinks to kill you if becaome the path to ground!

scott oliphant
audio school graduate

Post by scott oliphant » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:06 am

just use the xlr out
does it just not sound good with a decent mic and a fairly close placement?

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:25 am

The burst of hum comes from the degaussing coil around the edge of the picture tube. The crackle comes from the horizontal output transformer.

Open the back of the set, get a long cardboard tube, and listen through it (from a safe distance!) to find where the sounds you like are coming from. Be careful not to get yourself electrocuted... :shock:
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebookofkevin
studio intern

Post by thebookofkevin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:55 am

CabreeToe wrote:Good idea. Not gonna do it. I want MY TV.
Perhaps even through (a) well placed microphone(s) your TV still won't sound like it does in real life? Perhaps then a thrift store TV which does not sound like your TV in real life may sound more like your TV on the recording?

Personally, I'm for the thrift store idea. If you really want YOUR TV, then take it apart. Or get a TV from Costco, they take back anything, even if you've opened it up or melted part of it.
Musicians are cowards.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:54 am

Contact mic. Barring that, powered onmis taped onto the grill so that they essentially become a contact mic oughta do the trick. Then use the cleanest most gainful pre- ya got.