001 inputs ? (tape>tools)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Trem2
gettin' sounds

001 inputs ? (tape>tools)

Post by Trem2 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:50 am

I'm transferring a batch of songs from my tascam 238 into PT for editing and effects and etcetera.

Question is: How should I have the inputs set up for the best sound quality ?
I think its under setup/hardware where you can adjust the sensitivity for inputs 3-8. Not sure if I should leave it on the default setting or if its okay to boost the inputs to get nice hot levels going in to PT.

Also, are the 1/4 inch/XLR inputs on the front of the 001 essentially the same as the ones on the back ? I'm wondering if I should run the least "important" tracks into these inputs to avoid coloration by the pres on the 001. Or does it even matter ?

thanks- John

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:40 am

Do you have an 8 channel board that you like? I've done this before, sorta (238 to a Korg D1600) and I had to use the faders & gain of the Korg's channels to get proper levels. My guess is, if you patch the 238 straight to the digi001, you'll *have* to use the preamps from channels 1 & 2 to get proper levels. 3 through 8, though, will be left out in da cold... If you can copp a cool board for the transfer, then you can use use it's gain stage, and not use the two digi001 preamps at all, if you don't wanna. I'm no expert, though, so please solicit more advice. Domo!

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:56 am

Use digi 001 channels 1 and 2 for your 2 least important tracks and leave those preamps all the way off. Go into channels 3-8 for the rest without anything boosting on your way into protools. If you have good levels to tape, your levels going to protools should be fine. Also, you dont need to get levels as close to the very top of your meters in protools. If they are bouncing around somewhere in the middle or even less, that is plenty to work with.

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:33 am

Everytime I've done this, I've had to turn 3-8 down considerably. I personally don't mind the sound of the pres on the 001 in this application (transfering). And definately stay away from the top of the meters in PT (1/2 way to 3/4 up is plenty).

This may not apply to you but, I've made this mistake a couple of times: leave yourself plenty of tape sound (hiss) at the beginning and end of your transfer. When you mix, you'll need it. I used to make the mistake of fading the hiss out too quick and it just sounded dumb and unnatural. Maybe it's just me but, I felt this would be a good time to pass this on.
-AE

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:50 am

The 238 is a -10 piece of equipment. The 001 allows you to adjust for that getting the most signal into the recorder as possible without having to get a -10 to +4 converter box or go through a mixer adding noise etc. I would set the gain of the inputs to -10 and you should be fine.

Hope this helps

Mike

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Post by Trem2 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:40 am

Thanks for the replies. Definitely helps.

I am clueless though. I had no idea that the 238 is a -10 piece of equipment. Sounds like I need to buy a +4 to -10 interface anyways to go from my mic pres and compressors to my 238.

I realize now that I've been improperly connecting my gear though I haven't heard any clipping or weirdness as a result . Usually everything sounds fine. Maybe it'll sound extra good when I interface them properly.

This shit is confusing.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:15 am

Trem2 wrote:I am clueless though. I had no idea that the 238 is a -10 piece of equipment. Sounds like I need to buy a +4 to -10 interface anyways to go from my mic pres and compressors to my 238.

I realize now that I've been improperly connecting my gear though I haven't heard any clipping or weirdness as a result . Usually everything sounds fine. Maybe it'll sound extra good when I interface them properly.

This shit is confusing.
I wouldn't sweat the +4 to -10 thing if you're not having clipping issues. All it means is that your 238 has more sensitive inputs (higher gain built into them), so you don't have to crank the output of your pres as high as you would going into a +4 input. So, in the whole gain stage picture, more of your total gain is coming from the -10 input stage (more gain than a +4 input would add), but adding a +4 to -10 conversion stage isn't going to change that.

Going from +4 to -10 doesn't involve impedance matching, or anything else that's going to induce weird frequency-dependent problems (like low end/high end rolloff).

Leigh