EH LPB 2ube ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pandatone
pushin' record

EH LPB 2ube ?

Post by pandatone » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:18 am

hi, any one used this thing? "LPB 2ube".
i was pondering picking one up, to use as an insert. maybe some DI too.
interested to try it over the mix buss.. or is it noisy? getting one from musiciansfriend, then returning it, if i don't care for it seems like the plan. since i can't find anyone really talking about it online.
any thoughts on it would be nice.
thanks

http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f ... LPB%5F2ube

panda

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:25 am

Never used one, but here's review from a somewhat unbiased mag:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:kZA ... =firefox-a

I bet you could throw a transformer in front of it and use it as a mic pre too.

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:50 am

thanks, yeah, i saw that review. just not much info in it. other then ways to use it.

i mean, is noise a real problem with it? etc kind of questions.
the reality it seems its that for 180$, worth atleast checking out. i am sure there are better stereo tube line amps. but, probably not in that price range. and i in general like EH stuff..

like all EH stuff, wish it was a rack. though it seems like this thing is ment to more be used in a guitar rig.

panda

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:43 am

It looks strikingly similar to their 12AY7 mic pre, probably just has different input charcteristics to accomodate line and instrument levels. That and a 12AX7 instead of a 12AY7 tube, but those are more or less interchangeable. The mic pre is said to be very good for the money, so I'd expect this thing to deliver similar results.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:01 pm

Interesting, I hadn't heard about this one yet. EH always has something new, it seems (well, new for me...)

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/ ... ube-1.html

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:14 pm

pandatone wrote:i am sure there are better stereo tube line amps.
like what? do you mean just line-in'ing from your mic pre's?

I've been thinking about getting the LPB mostly BECAUSE it doesn't seem like there are other good inexpensive stereo tube line amps out there.....
get up with it

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:58 pm

Bump.

I'm also interested in feedback on this. I'm looking to use it as a stereo front end for a guitar-like instrument in my live rig.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:03 pm

I picked up one of these things the other day and will now give my 2 cents: It's a nice tool for various odd needs I run into all the time while tracking. I'm pretty sure the ins and outs are unbalanced (it doesn't say either way in the manual). It has two separate channels. I suspect that each of the channels gets one tube, but there's no clarification of that in the manual either. I also don't know whether it's all-discrete like the EH mic pre. Maybe somebody here can explain how a signal gets through it for us non-solderers.

1. As a stompbox between guitar and amp: It sounds great, but not very practical in a 'rig'. It really does turn a cheap solid-state amp into something that sounds like a tube amp. There is minimal background noise (pickup buzz, radio interference etc) even when the two channels are cascaded into each other (as rec'd in the manual) although there is a rather dramatic pop when the effect is switched on. I'd use it for recording but, given the pop, not for gigs. When both channels are driven, it gives off very greasy distortion.

2. As a DI for guitar or bass: Like a charm. It takes a thready instrument sound and makes it sound lovelier. As advertised.

3. For reamping: Pretty well. You can switch between hi and lo input levels so it can handle a line-level input just fine and then send it back to your DAW. There, it's merely a question of whether it makes a given signal sound better. It compresses bass (waveforms get rounded off and flat at the top) and has a wide range of drive options before it breaks up completely into fuzz. It doesn't do much to a clean signal that's already been digitally recorded, unless it is set to distort audibly (as an effect). It's much better for doctoring up the signal before it ever gets to disk.

Time will tell, but I have a feeling I'm going to use this thing a lot for a variety of weird different tasks. There are no EQ options and there is no clipping light, but who cares? EQ is available elsewhere in most signal paths. A clipping light would be sort of useful, but the ears are a better guide for this thing anyway. If it sounds good, who cares whether it's clipping?