Spectral Correction

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

midiot
pushin' record

Spectral Correction

Post by midiot » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:21 am

What exactly does this term mean in the mastering process?

Is it to make everything sound like it is in phase?
boom-ptch-boom

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 am

Sounds like a fancy way of saying "equalize" since that is process where parts of the audio 'spectrum' are boosted or cut to 'correct' the sound.
Where did you see the reference?

-Jeremy

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:41 am

Professor wrote:Sounds like a fancy way of saying "equalize" since that is process where parts of the audio 'spectrum' are boosted or cut to 'correct' the sound.

-Jeremy
Actually I have to define the term for a class and I missed the part of class that it was soken of. I assumed it was eq'ing/phase correction but wanted to see what others thought.
boom-ptch-boom

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

midiot wrote:
Professor wrote:Sounds like a fancy way of saying "equalize" since that is process where parts of the audio 'spectrum' are boosted or cut to 'correct' the sound.

-Jeremy
Actually I have to define the term for a class and I missed the part of class that it was soken of. I assumed it was eq'ing/phase correction but wanted to see what others thought.
Jason,

It's another term for Harmonic Balancing. Some gear does this in sort of an 'aural exciter' fashion and yes, phase relationships do come into play. It definitely changes what's recorded or what the mix sounds like. It's not really something you do to individual frequencies, it's more like something you rely on software to do in global fashion to an entire mix for you. I do wonder what Ben Blau actually had to say about it in that lecture you missed.

When are you bringing a project in to the studio?

Steve has found another band- that means a not-yet graduated student is engineering 3 projects freelance-style...cool.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:17 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:Steve has found another band- that means a not-yet graduated student is engineering 3 projects freelance-style...cool.
Not to derail the topic or anything, but a student in Detroit is freelancing?!? Man, that is SO awesome! So good to hear.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:26 am

cgarges wrote:
Jeff Robinson wrote:Steve has found another band- that means a not-yet graduated student is engineering 3 projects freelance-style...cool.
Not to derail the topic or anything, but a student in Detroit is freelancing?!? Man, that is SO awesome! So good to hear.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Yes Chris. One of my students from one of the local colleges I teach at is freelancing under my guidance. My studio offers the students the possibility of them finding their feet as engineers without committing any fatal errors and the end result of the product is better as I am always looking on- providing gentle guidance.

As well, the student who posted this question is a house assistant at a studio across town. These guys are getting out in the workplace.

Book learning is great, but if you can't find your own bands to work with and run your own sessions, you won't have a future.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:44 am

Specteral Correction:

adjective

when you take some simple nice Beatles songs
and correct'em; adding unwarranted and extraneous
parts to and otherwise fine musical piece

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:51 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:Book learning is great, but if you can't find your own bands to work with and run your own sessions, you won't have a future.
I agree with that entirely, but what's exciting to me is that these guys are taking the initiative to bring bands into a commercial studio to record. That's good for so many reasons.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:59 am

I would think that would promote better sounding records which is cool..

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:19 am

I've never been to recording school.. But, I've learned from my own home setup and reading and doing and such for the last 15 years or so. And, now, I'm finally at a place where I'm confident working as a freelance engineer out of one of the nicer local facilities.
I still work from home a lot. But, I'm up at the "real" studio as much as I can be and as much as my clients can afford to be.
It really is the best of both worlds... and, it works out great for the guy who owns the local studio, too. He can definitely stand a break from 28 days a month of 16 hour sessions!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

beard_of_bees wrote:I would think that would promote better sounding records which is cool..
Yes. What I've found is that there is 'client confidence' instilled through going the cheap route this way. The client can hire a student, but not get poor student quality work. As it turns out, I cost too much money for most indie bands so this is a way for them to get a quality product for less, and honestly, ain't that the TapeOp way?! lol

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:25 pm

Sure man its a cool thing that happening..

I wish I had that kind of experience when I was a student..

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:32 am

Me too. I toiled in the halls of academe like a hunted animal, scurrying from one demoliton mission to the next. There were orders to shoot me on sight.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net