Rock albums tracked live (in the same room)?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:44 pm

syrupcore wrote:frank black and the catholics, mostly live direct to two track. I'm still waiting for some one semirelated (ahem, joel) to do an interview.

they sound amazing to me.
I only did one song with him. all live though, in the same room except the vocals. The vocals were live though, but "Frank" was playing in the control room with me. Everyone else was in the live room. Amps and all. Bass,two guitars, drums, vocals.. All live to two track..... It is on the "wig in a box" CD.

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Barry Jive » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:12 pm

sara_tonin wrote:Jeff Buckleys Grace was tracked live, one of my favorite albums.
I have a really hard time believing that. Evidence? Also, I know that the famous version of "Hallelujah" on there is a couple of takes edited together (at least that's what is says in the very well researched "Dream Brother" book).

PS: I have seen parts of his EPK with everyone in a room playing live, but those aren't the album tracks.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:49 pm

When you say "live in the same room" do you mean with, or without headphones?

Pearl Jam's "Vs." was tracked with a PA blaring; Most of the Hives stuff including "Vedi Vidi"...that first Clash album totally has some snare rattle on it; Zep I & parts of every other record they made...lots of jazz & blues stuff too...
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:30 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I only did one song with him.
ok, you're off the hook. Some one else around here must be close enough to do the interview. I love the way those records sound. Good songs, good musicians, good well setup instruments, point the mics, blend the sounds, hit record. damn. I'm sure there's more to it and that's what I'd love to read about.

some one?

Will

Matt Allison
audio school

Post by Matt Allison » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:41 pm

The Alkaline Trio's 'Goddammit'. 13x18 room, live, no headphones.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:18 am

bobschwenkler wrote:
kentothink wrote:Heck YES. Ben Kweller's On My Way. It isn't that LOUD a record, but it was all done in the same room at the same time. some tracks are vocals and all!
That's what I'm talking about. How does it sound?
it sounds damn awesome. it was done at Sear Sound by Ethan Johns, so...there ya go.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Another shout-out for the Frank Black stuff; some of my fave recordings!

Also, Ethan Johns apparently does a lot of this; check out his Ryan Adams and Kings of Leon stuff.

See most Lanois stuff recorded in the old movie house, ex., Willie Nelson's Teatro.

How about Springsteen's The River?

The Stones' Exile on Main Street has a couple different re-mixes available on CD. The original un-altered and first remasters sound like the sonic soup Steve Wynn called something like "The Bible of Rock and Roll". The latest remixes are awesumly educational in headphones; you can literally hear the stereo imaging of the snare change when a gate opens to it's side for a guitar line, etc.

A whole lot of Albini-produced stuff seems mostly or possibly all done live in the studio.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:00 pm

Tatertot wrote:Uncle Tupelo's Anodyne, I think...
Yup at Cedar Creek in Austin... GREAT RECORD!!

And the Elvis Sun Sessions were all done live with the vocals... as all(most) of the early Sun Records were with that slapback from another tape machine. I've been reading the new Geoff Emerick book and all the early Beatle records were done live and even the later ones like Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper all the basic rhythm tracks were tracked live with the other 3 tracks for the overdubs... I saw a doc with George Martin playing the original 4 track tape of Sgt Pepper at a desk and he was dropping faders so you could see and he had extra percussion and/or other stuff on the same track as the vocals through bouncing... its amazing they did that with the 4 tracks but I think it added to the overall sound... by having to commit to early bounces... you had to be focused and KNOW what you were going for as opposed to now... I might do track of a keyboard part or perc part just for the hell of it because I MIGHT wanna use it later - they didn't have that luxury - i think maybe that's why they were able to do those records in short periods of time and I spent 6 mos. doing my last record... BTW the doc was called Making Of Sgt Pepper and I think it was from early 80s either 20th or 25th anniversary..

Mike

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:46 pm

jmoose wrote: Pearl Jam's "Vs." was tracked with a PA blaring;

That is one of my fav albums ever. theyre playing super loud with feedback all over the place and the drummer just slamming away with all this beautiful room tone and snare buzz and string noise and coughing...man...i was actually thinking about starting a PJ thread to see if anyone has any other info on their records. people seem to not really talk about that band that much and im curious as to why! Get out Vs! Get out Vitalogy! these are GREAT records.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:19 pm

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:02 pm

What about Smile? That was done with the band in one room, strings in a booth, vocals were done later though. There is a documentary on the DVD about this. Pretty cool stuff.

Aeroplane Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Aeroplane Audio » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:53 pm

"Axes" by Electrelane is an example of an albini record where the trackign was all done in the same room live.

"The power out" , which is the other electrelane album that was alson done by albinie, might also be that way, but for some reason I'm inclined to think that it's not.
"There are two kinds of mistakes: The regular kind, and the kind that don't sound too good"
-Thelonious Monk
--------------------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/tuttutkc
www.myspace.com/ironpawrecords

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:55 am

In Utero

Beatles... Yer Blues

Early Van Halen

AC/DC?

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:57 am

kentothink wrote:
jmoose wrote: Pearl Jam's "Vs." was tracked with a PA blaring;

That is one of my fav albums ever. theyre playing super loud with feedback all over the place and the drummer just slamming away with all this beautiful room tone and snare buzz and string noise and coughing...man...i was actually thinking about starting a PJ thread to see if anyone has any other info on their records. people seem to not really talk about that band that much and im curious as to why! Get out Vs! Get out Vitalogy! these are GREAT records.
Thank you, I thought I was one of the only people that feels this way. The first time I heard a great vinyl playback system was with this album. After "Go" and "Animal" I haven't been the same since. This is also why I look forward to anything recorded/produced by Nick Didia/Brendan O'Brien.

Speaking of those two, I'm pretty sure Rage Against the Machine's Evil Empire was tracked live in a tiny little room (prolly not the vocals). Maybe their other records too.
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

Devlarz
alignin' 24-trk

Thomas Alan Waits

Post by Devlarz » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:34 am

It may not be rock but...

Tom Waits 'Small Change' liner notes indicates that it was "Recorded complete and direct to 2-Track Stereo Tape at Wally HeiderRecording, Hollywood California on July 15, 19, 20 ,21 and 29 1976"

This is one phenomenal album to boot. Come to think of it, most of waits albums are phenomenal albums and recorded in such a way that the intial tracking if not an entire song is recorded "live".

Talent...
Well, the difference is that you strut and I stroll.

Petras