Rock albums tracked live (in the same room)?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:58 am

kentothink wrote:
jmoose wrote: Pearl Jam's "Vs." was tracked with a PA blaring;

That is one of my fav albums ever. theyre playing super loud with feedback all over the place and the drummer just slamming away with all this beautiful room tone and snare buzz and string noise and coughing...man...i was actually thinking about starting a PJ thread to see if anyone has any other info on their records. people seem to not really talk about that band that much and im curious as to why! Get out Vs! Get out Vitalogy! these are GREAT records.
And that reminds me of The Stooges' Funhouse, where I read that Iggy was standing on the PA "singing" as they recorded...

And I love it!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

wiggins
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Rock albums tracked live (in the same room)?

Post by wiggins » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:30 pm

bobschwenkler wrote:I'm sitting here listening to Don Caballero's American Don. It sounds pretty live in some ways, but other aspects of it sound like there was significant isolation involved (iso booths?). There are some pretty awesome sounds in this record though. The challenge of tracking music this loud all in the same room is something I really want to incorporate into my aesthetic and learn how to do better.

Anyways, anyone have any good examples of rock music tracked live in the same room (that sounds good)? Even better, anyone know of any music and have any inside information on how it was tracked?
Close, but not all in the same room:

http://electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 66a3a8e2e5

off the top of my head:
90 day men - it is it critical band
Shipping News - most all of their records, i believe
Slint - Spiderland

etc etc. blah blah at work cant get into more

these way to recording, she is peachy pie cake, okay? okay. Benissimo!

bobschwenkler
gettin' sounds

Post by bobschwenkler » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:32 am

sara_tonin wrote:Jeff Buckleys Grace was tracked live, one of my favorite albums.
Was it? I sure never noticed that it sounded live...

Actually though, the most I ever listen to that album is pretty much the first song, and that one mostly because I love the drumming in the verses. The rest is a little too slick sounding for my tastes. I wonder how live everything was though. There doesn't seem to be much bleed or room sound of the guitars and drums.

bobschwenkler
gettin' sounds

Post by bobschwenkler » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:37 am

jmoose wrote:When you say "live in the same room" do you mean with, or without headphones?
Either. I guess I'm thinking more of albums you can really tell were tracked live, but that still sound good (or maybe even better than they otherwise would).

I'm just trying to get some ideas of music to listen to and really examine, try to get some ideas for my tracking.

bobschwenkler
gettin' sounds

Re: Rock albums tracked live (in the same room)?

Post by bobschwenkler » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:48 am

wiggins wrote:Close, but not all in the same room:

http://electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 66a3a8e2e5
That's interesting about the room mics for the guitars and the bass amp. does anyone here ever use that sort of technique? My normal train of thought would be that your drum (room) mics will get all the guitars/bass that you need/want.

bobschwenkler
gettin' sounds

Post by bobschwenkler » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:56 am

Oh. My bad. They are in defferent rooms. I just saw the brick behind the drums and the brick behind the amps and assumed they were in the same room together.

So room mics on the guitars. That explains the live sound of the guitars well enough. It's interesting how MUCH room sound there is on some of those guitars though... Not what you (I) normally hear.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:16 am

Here's an album I produced all live in-studio. See my review below the listing too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... nce&n=5174

radionowhere
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by radionowhere » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:27 pm

Check out "Welcome", by Doyle Bramhall II and his band Smokestack. This is the guy who played with Stevie Ray Vaughan's bandmates and Charlie Sexton after SRV died, and has written/toured with Roger Waters and Eric Clapton.

I read that the band prepped for this record with a month of all-night rehearsals, and then tracked almost the whole thing (minus a couple of guitar overdubs) live in the same room. The guitar sounds are just huge; DBII credits that to the fact that his vocal mic was picking up the amps. Great songs, performances, and emotion. I like this record!

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:07 am

How about Tom Waits "Nighthawks At The Diner" - it was his first with producer "Bones" Howe, and they basically hired a hot jazz band to back him up, built a fake bar on a movie lot, invited loads of famous people and recorded it totally live over two or three nights, just picked the best takes. Not strictly rock, I grant you,or even technically a studio recording, but then i suppose they built the environment, so maybe it's a kind of studio/live location hybrid thing.

My two cents;-p

Oh, and Husker Du's "Zen Arcade" just for grins.

Take it easy yallz,

Paul Fury 161
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:04 pm

Most Neil Young records.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:18 pm

Paul Fury 161 wrote:How about Tom Waits "Nighthawks At The Diner"

Paul Fury 161
Also (not coincidentally, in my case) my favorite Tom Waits album by far - he's a real card when he just 'has at it' -

Zen Arcade? Really?

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:18 am

Tatertot wrote:
Zen Arcade? Really?
Yeah, but I think I read Bob's guitar was direct or something ..?

californiawizkids
pluggin' in mics

Post by californiawizkids » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:21 pm

vvv wrote:Also, Ethan Johns apparently does a lot of this; check out his Ryan Adams and Kings of Leon stuff.
Yeah, I think Heartbreaker was pretty much all same room, and sounds freakin' awesome.

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:53 pm

bedbug wrote:
Tatertot wrote:
Zen Arcade? Really?
Yeah, but I think I read Bob's guitar was direct or something ..?
I've heard he ran a splitter right after his MXR dist+ and ran one into the board, and one into his amp.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:45 pm

The "To all the Trick or Treaters" ep by Lil' Cap'n Travis may have been recorded this way. I'm pretty sure it says on the sleeve that it was recorded live. I think Brian Beattie from the board may even have recorded it. It sounds amazing and is a totally tight and inspired performance.