Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

red cross
buyin' gear

Beatles track sheet 1967

Post by red cross » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:46 pm

Copped from a picture in the book "Abbey Road":

7 Sept. 1967

Fader 1: (Bass Guitar) D.I.T. (direct inject?)
Fader 2: (Bass Guitar) C12
Fader 3: (Premix)
Fader 4: (Bass Drum) D19 C
Fader 5: (Guitar) U67
Fader 6: (Guitar) U67
Fader 7: (Vocal) U48
Fader 8: (Vocal) U48

Premix 1: (Drums) C38
Premix 2: (Drums) D19 C
Premix 3: (Drums) D19 C
Premix 4: (Drums) KM56

Hmm, those D19s are all over Ringo's kit. Never seen a (Sony?) C38 in any of the session pictures either, so that's another surprise. Guess those Ebay prices are gonna skyrocket again, chuckle...

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:23 am

here's a telefunken version from ebay...

looks soo coo

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:06 am

Or, hmmm, "C38" could maybe be Geoff Emerick shorthand for a Coles 4038, perhaps? Is this one of those handwritten scribbled track sheets? I dunno, it could *maybe* be an abbreviation...

* rushes off to buy C38 on Ebay before prices soar *
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:37 am

no no...

a Sony C 38

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:47 pm

Funny, but my buddy showed up for today's session with a copy of the Abbey Road book for me (I'm finishing their next two records for them). I just spent the last couple of hours jumping all over the book and listening to Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, MMT, & Past Masters Volume 2 and freaking out.

Man, what I would give to be able to work at Abbey Road back then.

Jeff

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:41 pm

what's the exact title of the book?? Abbey Road???

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:16 pm

The C38 wasn't available in 1967. I'd agree that it most likely meant a STC (Coles) 4038.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:26 pm

The book that I received today is The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions (The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970) by Mark Lewisohn.

It was first published in 1988 by Hamlyn. It is currently in print.

Jeff

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:31 pm

skycave wrote:The book that I received today is The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions (The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970) by Mark Lewisohn.

It was first published in 1988 by Hamlyn. It is currently in print.

Jeff
Yeah, the Lewisohn book gets talked about a lot 'round here. It's a hell of a book, it really is.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:40 pm

I can understand why. I can't put the thing down!

Jeff

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:43 pm

Actually meant this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/071199 ... e&n=283155

"Abbey Road: The Story of the World's Most Famous Recording Studios" by Brian Southall, Peter Vince, Alan Rouse.

Fascinating stuff!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:18 am

votemiles wrote:Actually meant this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/071199 ... e&n=283155

"Abbey Road: The Story of the World's Most Famous Recording Studios" by Brian Southall, Peter Vince, Alan Rouse.

Fascinating stuff!
I have that one as well, bought it at the tube stop in London near Abbey Road (they have a little Abbey Road gift shop there). Also very cool, esp. as it doesn't just focus on Beatles.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Devlarz
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Beatles track sheet 1967

Post by Devlarz » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:04 am

votemiles wrote:Hmm, those D19s are all over Ringo's kit. Never seen a (Sony?) C38 in any of the session pictures either, so that's another surprise. Guess those Ebay prices are gonna skyrocket again, chuckle...
Funny thing about those D19s is that Geoff Emerick is quoted in the Mark Lewishon book saying something to the effect of 'Those were just crappy talkback mics but they worked for the drums' That's also the type of mic used to record the piano for Lady Madonna.
Well, the difference is that you strut and I stroll.

Petras

jdsowa
pushin' record

Post by jdsowa » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:02 pm

Has anyone else ever tried to recreate the '67-69 era Ringo drums?

The first thing we can establish is that it's obvious just by listening that Ringo has a wallet, pack of cigs or towel laying on the snare to muffle it. This was also stated by Geoff in an interview.

Now, the actual snare drum is obscured in all the studio photos from '67 that I've seen. All that is visible is a D12 on the bass drum and a mic stand about 6"-1' above the kick drum pointing at Ringo's chest. The mic isn't visible, and there may not actually be anything on the stand. I believe the photo(s) with the D19 hanging 3'-4' above the kit are from an earlier period. At any rate, there are several photos of Ringo seated at the kit with no overhead mics.

Of course there were a variety of Beatles drum sounds in this era ranging from super-dry to super-roomy, but I'm basically referring to the Strawberry Fields, Hey Jude and the Hello Goodbye instrumental/backing tracks.

My ears tell me that Ringo is tapping the snare about as light as he can. I'm willing to bet that the snare also has a top AND bottom mic. You can really hear that bright snare wire crackle. I've tried recreating this sound using all sorts of mics in all sorts of acoustic settings and it simply cannot be gotten with only a top mic. When I came to this conclusion I was quite surprised since I had always figured the bottom snare mic was an invention of the 70s. And of course I could still be way off. I also figure that the snare is tuned somewhere in the middle range.

Of course, the studio they were in was cavernous. There were rugs on the floor beneath the drum kit and the ceilings are something like 20-25' high. So even though it's close-miked there's still an audible room effect (not to mention some pick-up in the other instrument mics).

I'm eager to hear other people's thoughts and/or experiences.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:16 am

The Sony C-38 was apparently around in 1964 if this article about Herb Alpert and the making of "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" http://mixonline.com/recording/intervie ... t_tijuana/

For all I know it could be a typo and they could have meant C-37a [which has always been a serious favorite mic on trumpets in my world]... but the article references a Sony C-38 on a session in 1964... which means to me that it would have been around in 1967.

FWIW, I didn't think the C-38 came out until well into the 70's... but I was only 4 years old in 1964 so what the hell do I know.

Peace.