1" 8 track...can I play on 1" 16?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lsn110
steve albini likes it

1" 8 track...can I play on 1" 16?

Post by lsn110 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:16 pm

I tried UTFSF, and though I suspect something exists on this subject, I couldn't find it.

I have a reel that was recorded on a 1" 8-track some time ago, and I'm looking to do a transfer and/or a mix. Trick is that I know plenty of folks with 1" 16 track machines, and none with 1" 8 track machines. The machine it was recorded on is no longer an option.

Anybody have a reference for how this might map if it will work at all?

Next question would be...Any studios out there (esp from Boston to Albany) have a 1" 8 track and a digital system I could do a transfer with (for an hourly rate of course).

Thanks,
Paul

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:21 am

Anyone?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:56 am

Theoretically this could work, and I've played, say, 4-track recordings off 8-track headstacks. The problem is that if the track spacing is off you'll get crosstalk and won't be able to isolate tracks...therefore you won't be able to mix. But if the 1" 8-track is no longer available, and you can't find another one anywhere, give it a shot.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:04 am

If this is your only option, it'll work OK. You'll just get every track showing up on 2 faders. One will probably sound a little hotter than the other...

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:39 am

For the moment, it's my best option, but I'm on the hunt for a 1" 8-track studio in which I can do the transfer/mix.

Good to hear that it might work though.

Paul

buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

Post by buddy holly » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:22 am

lsn110 wrote:For the moment, it's my best option, but I'm on the hunt for a 1" 8-track studio in which I can do the transfer/mix.

Good to hear that it might work though.

Paul
hey paul,

i have a 1" 8 track Otari MTR 90 in my home studio. If its just one reel i'll do it for you for free. I only have stereo AD and Soundforge so you'd have to line up the tracks yourself. not ideal, i know, but its an option.

--BH