Avalon U5 vs. 'The Brick' ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:46 am

the brill bedroom wrote:Does the brick have an XLR input? Would it be a good portable mic pre?
Yes. http://groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2084

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:05 am

the brill bedroom wrote:Does the brick have an XLR input? Would it be a good portable mic pre?
Yes and maybe. It doesn't have THAT much gain (55db) and it can distort on loud signals (as a mic pre, the gain starts at 25db). With the right conditions, its makes an EXCELLENT pre for the price, but I wouldn't count on it as my 'all arounder' portable pre amp.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:29 am

U5 vs Brick Or the UA 610?????

What the hell is another 300 bucks?

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:11 am

dokushoka wrote:
Yes and maybe. It doesn't have THAT much gain (55db) and it can distort on loud signals (as a mic pre, the gain starts at 25db). With the right conditions, its makes an EXCELLENT pre for the price, but I wouldn't count on it as my 'all arounder' portable pre amp.
I was a little lukewarm on the pre in the Brick, though to be fair I haven't given the pre a proper run for it's money. That aside, I think the pre sounded decent but not up to par with the other tube pres I already have and not quite of the same relative quality as the DI input. The DI is great on bass and really, really nice on synths. I will say though, that the pre actually had a kinda cool meaty sound and I've had it in mind to give it a proper workout at some point. Definitely a good package for the price and it's portability could be a big plus for certain applications.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:43 am

After saying what I posted earlier about the Brick "hanging" right in there with other Hi-End DI's, if you're not needing a mic pre ( just DI), I would consider its predecessor. The DITTO..! I have it and it's fine. YMMV

ps. I still can't figure out why GC "blew" the Ditto out for $99.00 way back!... :? ... I missed out on getting a couple of them... :evil:

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:08 am

Harry wrote:U5 vs Brick Or the UA 610?????

What the hell is another 300 bucks?
That's easy. The Brick. 8)

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:45 pm

Really? The 610 has EQ points. I assume you have a GT Brick and love it, but what makes it so much better that that little blue Bellari tube pre that I bought for $99 and never use?
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 pm

the brill bedroom wrote:Really? The 610 has EQ points. I assume you have a GT Brick and love it, but what makes it so much better that that little blue Bellari tube pre that I bought for $99 and never use?
I had two bricks, but no longer have one. What makes it better than the bellari is its a better design and thusly sounds a million times better. The fact that the 610 has eq is nice, I guess, but a good pre is better than a bad one with EQ in my book.

unguitar
audio school graduate

Post by unguitar » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:45 am

please give Spl Gainstation 1 a try.
I was also comparing those DIs and have been lucky to have had the idea to try that strange golden box seating in a corner of the shop's isolated room.
It is one of my best buy.
my best,
luca