What Mic Preamps SHOULDN'T I Buy??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ChrisCo
pushin' record

What Mic Preamps SHOULDN'T I Buy??

Post by ChrisCo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:14 pm

Hey all! So I was wondering, I'm buying some pretty decent gear these days, and so I wanted to upgrade from my Behringer Vocal Pro 2496 to an actual decent quality preamp. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $500.00 to $1000.00, yet I want to see what my options are. However, I wanted to know, instead of what TO buy (because anything would be an improvement at this point), what SHOULDN'T I buy? Also, please add an additional suggestion in this category for mic pres in the budget range. Should I have a little ART MP Tube amp just for shits and giggles (if I'm doing a drum session... will it be beneficial or detrimental?) I'm running through a MOTU 896, which has preamps of its own, but like I said, what options should I stay away from? Thanks!
Last edited by ChrisCo on Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:22 pm

Those little ART things - well, anything for that matter - can be very cool when blasted with an omni sitting somewhere between the snare and kick. Can't hurt to keep one of those around unless you are really needing the $30 you could get for it on ebay. I mean, $30 can get you some quality beer for a weekend, or maybe a new shirt from the Gap.
Obviously, your money will go further if you buy used versus new.The Aphex 107's and 207's are quality for the money, FWIW.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:37 pm

The Aphex 207 is a REALLY good preamp.
I use it in every session and it sits right in there with neve and grace preamps.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:51 pm

Grace is also really, really good. I know it may seem chinsy to charge 565 for a single channel, but that's actually a steal, IMO.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:00 pm

$30 for beer!?!?!?! Wow! I must have rich taste buds or something because I can easily plow through a weekend and completely exhaust $30 in a night. I gotta drink where YOU'RE drinking!!!

Thanks for the input so far, guys! I'm just including this friendly reminder that I'm looking for Mic Preamps to stay away from. Thanks!

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:02 pm

Hey....if you can stretch up to that $1.000.00.. :) .., I saw the Groove Tube's "new" SUPRE (?) on the Sweetwater site for $1,100.00...! It looks really cool. Don't know how it sounds, but some one stated it was like a " souped up " Brick... :lol: ... Has some nice features. I'm gonna investigate further myself! Oh yeah, the price is for TWO channels...!.. :D
Uh Oh.....just re-read and you said "mic pres to stay Away From"...! Sorry!.. :oops:

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:27 pm

On the used market, near the bottom of your range (or maybe just below), you might find the dbx 586. I wouldn't make this my only preamp, or the first sorta "step up" of the type it sounds like you're asking about. There's better out there. Even after changing the stock tubes to something better with a bit more gain. I think they're O.K. to have in the rack for when you'd really like to mess with the input...that EQ can do some damage, creative and otherwise. Same with that "drive" function. Not a main preamp in the rack, in my estimation.

I got one of these, early on to my recording experience. Hindsight tells me for sure that I could have made a much better decision. We use it, don't get me wrong. It has come in handy a number of times. We have "nicer" amps (available in you're range per channel) for what might be considered more critical tracking. There's good stuff in you're range, and there's a wealth of knowledge on this board about it. Most of my "nicer" amps I got based on things I'd leaned and listened to as a result of reading stuff here. Take your time, try to listen to some different equipment and try to make a good choice for your work. Good luck...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:31 pm

Focusrite Platinum, DBX cheap stuff. BLARGH!

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:41 pm

someone has a silly good deal on a sytek over in buy/sell...

wicked good even.....

Jay

(edited: its gone now...sorry...)
I hate those icon thingys'.....

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:56 pm

Don't build yourself a Paia!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:00 pm

You shouldn't buy *anything* if you can't hear the difference in a shootout, ideally held in your own studio.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:36 pm

I wouldn't get the ART TPS again. I don't think mine sounds that much different than a Mackie console preamp. It does have different settings for vocals, piano, keys, warm, etc but I find myself using the Neutral setting when I actually need to use it at all. It did make a Korg Triton sound pretty good on the neutral setting though. I also hated my dbx 266 but that's a comp not a pre...

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:04 pm

ChrisCo wrote:$30 for beer!?!?!?! Wow! I must have rich taste buds or something because I can easily plow through a weekend and completely exhaust $30 in a night. I gotta drink where YOU'RE drinking!!!

Thanks for the input so far, guys! I'm just including this friendly reminder that I'm looking for Mic Preamps to stay away from. Thanks!
Well, $30 at the store. $30 at the bar goes fast.
I kinda liked the PAIA "tube" pre I tried out. Really not that bad at all.

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:06 pm

stay away from preamps that you cant send back when you find out they suck.
maybe you should tell us what you are thinking about buying and then we can tell you if we think it sucks.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:51 pm

For some stupid reason I got a Behringer "Tube Ultragain MIC100" preamp and I think it sounds even worse than the pre's in their mixers. It is less noisy though. I may get flamed for this, but in my mic pre research I concluded that a lot of people weren't totally thrilled with their reissue-ish UA pre's (UA 610?) or the Focusrite ISA stuff, or their "silver-faced" stuff. But then again there are always exceptions and some people love 'em.
This is a cool site to audition some pre's:
http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/home.htm