new moog!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:35 am

i've heard it in action. it's pretty tits. never played with it myself, but a band i did live sound for had one, and it did some cool stuff. i chatted with the owner a bit after the set, and he had nothing but good things to say about it.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:14 am

Last edited by ??????? on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:39 am

When Moog puts out a new polyphonic synth, then maybe I'll get excited. It's hard for me to get amped up over a mono synth.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:40 am

Meriphew wrote:When Moog puts out a new polyphonic synth, then maybe I'll get excited. It's hard for me to get amped up over a mono synth.
same. I did play one of these the other day at old town music and I thought it sounded and felt fantastic. feel is very missing from the synth section of music stores these days. didn't make me wanna fork over that much cash but I reckon they're nice instruments.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:02 pm

brad347 wrote:I tried the "little phatty" in a store, and was quite underwhelmed. It didn't sound like a real analog synth at all, more like a software emulation, to me.

Maybe there really is something magical about the original Minis (of which I have one, a 1973).
The Mini has the third oscillator, and presumably some discrepancies in components (and the way they've aged) that can't really be duplicated. It's been suggested that the actual layout of parts on the board also subtly changes the sound, who knows -- weird inductance stuff?

Modern players also want analog synths that stay in tune. A little driftiness in pitch probably makes the old synths sound richer timbrally. I haven't played the Phatty, but the Explorer sounded a little clean to me too.

I keep waiting for someone to successfully duplicate tiny random pitch changes in each oscillator with some kind of algorhythm . . .
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:39 pm

That must be it. My old mini is anything BUT stable.

But it's really sublime, the fatness of it. Like Marvin and Tammi said, "ain't nothin like the real thing."

Something about the Little Phatty just sounded "false" to me. Like kind of harsh.

If the mini is an old Fender Deluxe Reverb, the Little Phatty sounded like a solid-state Crate. You know? That kind of thing.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:10 pm

percussion boy wrote:I keep waiting for someone to successfully duplicate tiny random pitch changes in each oscillator with some kind of algorhythm . . .
They have--most VA synths have "slop" or "drift" controls now. The Alesis Ion/Micron is really, really good at this.

I happen to love the Moog Voyager BTW. It's freaking fantastic....my bandmate has one. A pleasure to look at, play, and hear.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 pm

Horrible name. I can just see some guy at Moog, he's like the biggest, most intimidating guy there and he says "let's call it Little Phatty, wimps" and everyone just looks down at the ground because they're afraid of him and so the company releases it as Little Phatty.

They should have just called it the (in Mike Myers voice) 'Yeah, Baby! Box' or 'Bling Bling Machine'.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:01 pm

Yep. It could've sounded like God and the name would've prevented me from ever having any interest in one.

Bling Bling machine. That's rich!