Mic pre question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TheGreatOne
gimme a little kick & snare

Mic pre question

Post by TheGreatOne » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:42 am

Any suggestions for a pre, $500 or less, for stereo drum overheads? s/pdif would be nice,...but not a requirement...stereo is a requirement. I'm trying to move to specific pres for input to my recorders and use my mixer only for the monitor mix. Also, any comments on removing the mixer, (vlz1604) from the input stage? I like it as a monitor mixer b/c it seems so neutral.
Thanks in advance, K
When in doubt, consult the manual

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:44 am

also, phantom power is a necessity.

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:18 pm

wow, I'm overwhelmed by the helpfulness of the folks on this board! Thanks!!! I thought the rudeness on other boards wasn't worth tolerating for the limited help they offered, while what I had (99%) read here was on point and the conversations evolved naturally, as they should. What a great f*cking board.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:38 pm

TheGreatOne wrote:wow, I'm overwhelmed by the helpfulness of the folks on this board! Thanks!!! I thought the rudeness on other boards wasn't worth tolerating for the limited help they offered, while what I had (99%) read here was on point and the conversations evolved naturally, as they should. What a great f*cking board.
Oh, settle down, take it easy -

There's always the search function -

anyway, the more you can tell us about your setup, your space, and your objectives the more likely you are to get a useful response (or, for that matter, any response) - your post is a little pithy in those respects as you don't give enough specifics to trip our officiousnes.

Hint: Insulting us all by using the f word (or 3/4 of it) is probably not going to help matters...

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:32 pm

"Oh, settle down, take it easy -

There's always the search function -

anyway, the more you can tell us about your setup, your space, and your objectives the more likely you are to get a useful response (or, for that matter, any response) - your post is a little pithy in those respects as you don't give enough specifics to trip our officiousnes.

Hint: Insulting us all by using the f word (or 3/4 of it) is probably not going to help matters..."

Ok, to pique your officiousness...
Most of what I do is for myself. I am not a pro, tho I do take recording seriously. I do record bands, for a VERY nominal fee. The only reason I charge anything at all is to send the message that recording is a serious thing, not to make money. My current goal is to remove my vlz1604 from the input function to my recorders. My recorders are 2 roland vsr880's. The room I record drums in could be anything. The mics I now use for this are inexpensive samson co2's, which are a huge step up from what I was doing before. The pre I am looking for would double for other parts too....not just drums....tho drums are primary. I have graying auburn hair, detest shaving, and prefer "friends" to "seinfeld". Anything else you'd like to know, just ask. I thought a simple question about a $500 or less stereo pre with phantom power would be an easy one and garner at least a few responses. I just posted the same question on another board...so we'll see who's more helpful.

I also asked....what do folks think about removing the mixer entirely from the input stage. No answers there either. Very helpful.

To correct your math. I used 6/7 of the word...not 3/4. We'll see if thats an accurate appraisal. K

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:37 am

dang, this looks like a 2 1/2 hour time lag from post to response....its much less due to time difference.

TheGreatOne
6th kyu
Posted 04-02-06 12:28 AM
ok....I have recently discovered the joy of mic pres after years of using the pres in my mackie vlz1604...my question is...can anyone suggest a stereo mic pre, $500 or less, for a pair of drum overheads...phantom power is a necessity...s/pdif would be nice, but isn't a requirement...thanks in advance, K

When in doubt, consult the manual.

Bazz
Sandan

Posted 04-02-06 03:07 AM

What you don't see here is the link to an ART unit, which, while I'm not an ART fan, fits the bill. This is from Studio Forums. I'll keep reading here because any bit of knowledge is good, but, my posts will go elsewhere from here forward because...who likes to be totally ignored? Not that any of the super engineers in here will notice.

K

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:25 am

I think the RNP is darn good for overheads - the one place I consistently used it, actually. You've got your phantom on each channel, lots of gain. I used to use a (3+ times the price) DVC on OH but the RNP, which sounded similar to the DVC on many other sources if not quite as deep, but the little FMR just killed the DVC over the drums - better conveyed the low end. Crazy.

and your post came up late saturday night for me. I'd wager a lot of other people here aren't spending their saturday night checking TOMB. So easy on the attitude.
Last edited by weatherbox on Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:29 am

There there now, see, the oracle is starting to kick out some responses. You just have to be patient. I agree on the ART statements up there, generally.

If I had said that you used 6/7 of the f word, you would have argued that you had actually only used 3/4. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Tatertot out.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:42 am

TheGreatOne wrote:wow, I'm overwhelmed by the helpfulness of the folks on this board! Thanks!!! I thought the rudeness on other boards wasn't worth tolerating for the limited help they offered, while what I had (99%) read here was on point and the conversations evolved naturally, as they should. What a great f*cking board.
Things slow down a little on the weekends. Sometimes you gotta be patient.

About the mixer...I haven't used a hardware mixer in years (I used to have a 1604 VLZ, too). I spent lots of money on good pres, converters, and clock, and do all my mixing in Nuendo. I don't miss the mixer.

Barry Jive

Post by Barry Jive » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:37 pm

Damn man. What is this sense of utter entitlement you have? Like people are doing you a disservice or breaking a promise by not responding to your incredibly vague question. Were you an only child? Chill out.

Anyway, while I've never used it, the RNP seems to be the consensus in the sub-500 bang for buck catagory.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:09 pm

Aphex 207D - two fairly clean, good sounding preamps w/ digital output.

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:54 am

well, everyone became helpful despite the b/s, for which I am appreciative...tho I have a brief message for Barry Jive....how to put this tactfully? Ram a RNP up your ass with no lube, f*cktard.
For the math challenged, thats 7/8 use of the word.
K

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:20 am

TheGreatOne wrote:well, everyone became helpful despite the b/s, for which I am appreciative...tho I have a brief message for Barry Jive....how to put this tactfully? Ram a RNP up your ass with no lube, f*cktard.
K
Hammertime died for our sins! But hear the good news! He is risen!

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:09 am

lets have at it son

Barry Jive

Post by Barry Jive » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:27 am

Just try to be more grateful for free advice as opposed to complaining when it doesn't immediately get posted. At the risk of turning this into a "flame-war" or whatever let me say this: I think the spirit of this board is non-judgmental comradery in recording. There's a degree of civility here that I think everyone appreciates. There's also a spirit of no bullshit and calling it like you see it. If you want to insult everyone for no reason and talk about shoving things up your ass you can hang out at a frat party, not here.

That's all I'll say. Peace. I hope you find a preamp you like.

-Eric
TheGreatOne wrote:well, everyone became helpful despite the b/s, for which I am appreciative...tho I have a brief message for Barry Jive....how to put this tactfully? Ram a RNP up your ass with no lube, f*cktard.
K