Mic pre question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

macr0w
alignin' 24-trk

Post by macr0w » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:55 am

I'm mad as hell and I want a preamp right now! If you guys don't tell me which one to buy right now I'm going to climb thru this computer and kick all your asses. (BTW I'm a little on the cheap and only have $500.00 for 2 channels.) :D
002R, Command/8
AMD 64 3500+
www.clearspotrecording.com

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:02 pm

TheGreatOne wrote:"Oh, settle down, take it easy -

There's always the search function -

anyway, the more you can tell us about your setup, your space, and your objectives the more likely you are to get a useful response (or, for that matter, any response) - your post is a little pithy in those respects as you don't give enough specifics to trip our officiousnes.

Hint: Insulting us all by using the f word (or 3/4 of it) is probably not going to help matters..."

Ok, to pique your officiousness...
Most of what I do is for myself. I am not a pro, tho I do take recording seriously. I do record bands, for a VERY nominal fee. The only reason I charge anything at all is to send the message that recording is a serious thing, not to make money. My current goal is to remove my vlz1604 from the input function to my recorders. My recorders are 2 roland vsr880's. The room I record drums in could be anything. The mics I now use for this are inexpensive samson co2's, which are a huge step up from what I was doing before. The pre I am looking for would double for other parts too....not just drums....tho drums are primary. I have graying auburn hair, detest shaving, and prefer "friends" to "seinfeld". Anything else you'd like to know, just ask. I thought a simple question about a $500 or less stereo pre with phantom power would be an easy one and garner at least a few responses. I just posted the same question on another board...so we'll see who's more helpful.

I also asked....what do folks think about removing the mixer entirely from the input stage. No answers there either. Very helpful.

To correct your math. I used 6/7 of the word...not 3/4. We'll see if thats an accurate appraisal. K
You watch Friends?
I am wangtacular.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:08 pm

I'll weigh in with one of my favorite budget rigs. The possibilities are almost endless with these things: http://www.toystogrowon.com/sku246
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:51 pm

"friends" sucks.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:15 pm

KennyLusk wrote:I'll weigh in with one of my favorite budget rigs. The possibilities are almost endless with these things: http://www.toystogrowon.com/sku246
That's a nice item there. I almost purchased it myself last month but then I heard that they're coming out with a rackmount version pretty soon and I feel that will be worth the wait/extra expense.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:06 pm

KennyLusk wrote:
I'll weigh in with one of my favorite budget rigs. The possibilities are almost endless with these things: http://www.toystogrowon.com/sku246

That's a nice item there. I almost purchased it myself last month but then I heard that they're coming out with a rackmount version pretty soon and I feel that will be worth the wait/extra expense.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:27 pm

:shock:

TheGreatOne
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by TheGreatOne » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:33 am

as always, need is somewhat regulated by opportunity...after all the talk about pres, today I am the winning bidder on a RNC
When in doubt, consult the manual

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:45 am

Barry Jive wrote:Just try to be more grateful for free advice as opposed to complaining when it doesn't immediately get posted. At the risk of turning this into a "flame-war" or whatever let me say this: I think the spirit of this board is non-judgmental comradery in recording. There's a degree of civility here that I think everyone appreciates. There's also a spirit of no bullshit and calling it like you see it. If you want to insult everyone for no reason and talk about shoving things up your ass you can hang out at a frat party, not here.

That's all I'll say. Peace. I hope you find a preamp you like.

-Eric

When I started bitching about it, I hadn't recieved any advice. I came here perfectly willing to say I'm not a pro like you barry jive. your smartass response most definitely turned it into a war between you and me. you're are pro? what have I heard by you? who have you engineered? being from washington state doesn't impress me in the least. go drink a cup of coffee and commit suicide in the rain a**wipe.

For the math challenged, that was 6/8 or, to reduce it, 3/4 use of the word

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:48 am

opps...sorry...bad math there.....

"For the math challenged, that was 6/8 or, to reduce it, 3/4 use of the word"

thats actuall 2/7 of the word. Mea culpa

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:33 am

Shall we resume our witty repartee at, say, gearslutz?

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:43 am

Tatertot wrote:Shall we resume our witty repartee at, say, gearslutz?

I'd be perfectly willing to do so if I could see that I had an adequetly witty adversary. Know any?

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:19 am

Hey! Did anyone else realize that this new forging of friends coincides with the arrival of Spring? For my money...that defines magic.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:11 pm

This is so weird. Anyway, I feel like antagonizing the rhinocerous, batting around the old beehive a little, so I'll try this:

"The Great One", maybe you could try a mackie 1202vlz - it's a "mixer", which means it has multiple inputs (some of them are designed for microphones), and then some outputs - the cool thing is, you can choose which input goes to which output. A whole panel of pros, who have recorded many things you've heard of, have declared that they are the best sounding preamps in the world. Let's see, where is the link, oh, here it is:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/pressrel.n ... enDocument

Hope that works. If not, you could google "a stranger rides into town" - that's the name of the article.

OK, good luck on your search.

(RNP)

b

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:23 pm

Oh, yeah, on the more helpful side, a couple of mic pres with spdif outputs are the Focusrite Platinum series and some of the Joe Meeks. The Focusrites are clear and ok, but not to my ear (or at least not to my mind, which I believe correlates with the ear on this), a significant step up from something like a mackie preamp. I think the spdif is an option. I haven't heard Joe Meeks.

Also, it's surprising that no one has recommended the Hamptone kits. Here:

http://www.hamptone.com

Check it out - those things fucking ROCK.

b