Mic pre question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:25 pm

That Toys To Grow On link is great! HA! What has ears but can't hear?! And then step on the little pedal to hear laughter - I'm totally asking for that for my birthday.

Ahh, what a day.

b

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:55 pm

Brian Brock wrote:That Toys To Grow On link is great! HA! What has ears but can't hear?! And then step on the little pedal to hear laughter - I'm totally asking for that for my birthday.

Ahh, what a day.

b
Well, that link you posted about the Mackie was pretty hilarious too. I really like that photo of 'the crew'.

I think it's a testament to the stellar character of the TOMB regulars when this self-styled "Great One" insults many of us in very egregious and even obscene ways, yet we still keep giving him advice while denying him that one thing he craves the most, a flamewar.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:06 pm

Tatertot wrote:
Brian Brock wrote:That Toys To Grow On link is great! HA! What has ears but can't hear?! And then step on the little pedal to hear laughter - I'm totally asking for that for my birthday.

Ahh, what a day.

b
Well, that link you posted about the Mackie was pretty hilarious too. I really like that photo of 'the crew'.

I think it's a testament to the stellar character of the TOMB regulars when this self-styled "Great One" insults many of us in very egregious and even obscene ways, yet we still keep giving him advice while denying him that one thing he craves the most, a flamewar.
I can't tell if he was drunk or just a dingus.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:31 pm

dingus. Let's talk about fucking his mom and see what happens.....
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:34 pm

Brian Brock wrote:Oh, yeah, on the more helpful side, a couple of mic pres with spdif outputs are the Focusrite Platinum series and some of the Joe Meeks. The Focusrites are clear and ok, but not to my ear (or at least not to my mind, which I believe correlates with the ear on this), a significant step up from something like a mackie preamp. I think the spdif is an option. I haven't heard Joe Meeks.

Also, it's surprising that no one has recommended the Hamptone kits. Here:

http://www.hamptone.com

Check it out - those things fucking ROCK.

b
If Dude doesn't have the patience (actually I think we're all being baited) to wait for everyone to get their morning cup of coffee before they consider for the 50 millionth time "what are some good mic pre's?" then he won't have the patience to play solder-head for a day on a Hamptone kit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the question; I always love participating in the "mic pre" threads, or at least following them. But at 4:30am I think somebody's either been 'cranking' all night and was bored or struck out at the clubs and is pissed off that none of the girls thought he was "sessy" enough to go home with.

I'm too sessy for my shirt...so sess it huuuurts.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:41 pm

KennyLusk wrote:. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the question; I always love participating in the "mic pre" threads, or at least following them. .
no way, you? I would have never thought...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:55 pm

Brian Brock wrote:What has ears but can't hear?
Corn :wink:

and most likely Korn

tguncle
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tguncle » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:22 pm

TheGreatOne wrote:as always, need is somewhat regulated by opportunity...after all the talk about pres, today I am the winning bidder on a RNC
Too bad you just won a compressor when what you were looking for was a preamp...

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:10 pm

my Mackie 1202VLZ is better than a $1500 to $3000 V7something. First $800 takes it.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:28 pm

tguncle wrote: Too bad you just won a compressor when what you were looking for was a preamp...
Best post of the day there, tguncle -

TheGreatOne
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by TheGreatOne » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:26 am

ahhh, a little pile on response? Sorry to disappoint you all, but my fight, which I didn't want in the first place, is with the giant fu*ktard (7/8 use of the word for the math challenged) barry jive. I came here for some info from people more experienced than myself. If you go back and read the flow of this, it was not I who made it personal, but it is surely I who will keep it personal with the giant fu*ktard (7/8 use of the word) barry jive.

I have checked out every single suggestion from this thread, found them all helpful. Clicked every link, read all the info...and for those who were helpful, I am appreciative.

Let me assure all, I would have much rather been asking what would have been my next question about what is word clock. However, I won't tolerate a drive-by smartass like the giant fuckta*d (7/8 use of the word) barry jive any more than any of you should.

I chose this board because I had never seen that kind of bs. There are other places to go, as we all know. Now I have a question. Is my experience here now ruined? Should I go elsewhere for information?

I reiterate, my fight is with one person only. Make the call. I'll abide by the consensus decision.

K
When in doubt, consult the manual

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:45 am

So are you going with the 1202vlz?

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:37 am

Sure, stick around, whatever. Just chill out and quick pickin' fights. Maybe Mr. Jive was a little out of line, but IMO so were you. All I'm saying is, rise above that sh*t (3/4ths of the word) and be cool. Be the better man.

As far as wordclock goes, it's a type of digital synchronization that usually travels over coax cables with BNC connectors. It's important to synch up your digital devices to a good master clock so they operate in lockstep, and wordclock is one of the synch protocols to do so. ADAT, S/PDIF, and AES/EBU are other synch options.

Devices like the Apogee Big Ben and Drawmer M-Clock are dedicated digital clocks that (in theory) will allow your digital devices to perform at their best by providing an ultra-stable clock source. I can hear subtle improvements in my MOTU 896HD's since clocking them to a Big Ben.

TheGreatOne
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by TheGreatOne » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:52 pm

Thank you John Jeffers, that was helpful...and leads me to another question. The trakmaster pro is s/pdif optional. What is the purpose of the word clock in their s/pdif card? The "lock" function wouldn't seem to be important when the goal is to simply send a digital singal from a pre to a recorder. Am I missing something about the importance of word clock in the OPERATION of s/pdif rather than just the locking of two machines together?
Thanks in advance for any clarity you can bring to this subject for me.

As for the 1202. I used to have one of those. A quite handy doodad. And Warren Haynes uses one in his live rig. I've seen it up close, from the front row in smaller club shows, maybe a half dozen times. I think he uses his for effects mixing...but I'm not sure...just a best guess.

To the whole board, I hope the harshness is a thing of the past.

K[/i]
When in doubt, consult the manual

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 am

One thing I have to clarify is that wordclock and S/PDIF are two different digital clock protocols. So, one cable isn't going to carry *both* wordclock and S/PDIF signals. It'd be redundant, as both are just different types of digital clock carriers.

A big difference between wordclock and S/PDIF is that S/PDIF can carry two mono audio signals in addition to digital clock. Here's how the major digital clock protocols break down as I understand it:

Code: Select all

Audio       Typical
Protocol    Channels    Cable Type(s)
--------    --------    -------------
Wordclock      0        Coax w/BNC
S/PDIF         2        RCA or optical
AES/EBU        2        XLR
ADAT           8        optical
I've never used a Trakmaster, so I can't tell you specifically how it works. It would seem to me that you wouldn't want to use a $300 device as your master clock, unless you don't have anything better. I don't mean to sound like a gear snob, I'm just being realistic. My guess is that if you have a digital mixer, the S/PDIF output would allow you to get a signal into the mixer without an additional D/A-A/D conversion, which is a good thing.