Parallel EQ ???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Parallel EQ ???

Post by Trem2 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:25 am

OK - I've read the recent threads on parallel compression and it sounds like a pretty common technique.

How common is parallel EQing ? Would there be a point to it ?

I'm just thinking I could leave my basic tracks unprocessed but EQ a submix (maybe to extend the highs) to add back in to the main mix.

Whaddaya think ?

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:05 am

For an idealized EQ, it shouldn't do anything but reduce the level of EQing. If your EQ adds some coloration beyond the actual EQing, then using it in parallel should allow you to more independently adjust the amount of coloration and EQing.

I'm trying to figure out if you get any weirdness due to the phase changes from the filters. I think on some of the simpler filter types you do (I'm not completely confident about this), but I don't know enough about the more complex filter types to make any blanket statements.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:41 am

For the full-on "New York Style" of parallel compression, you're supposed to add an eq to the same submix, and give it a smile curve up to 6 db boost on each end. So, that's sorta what yer talkin' about...

pumadrum
gettin' sounds

Post by pumadrum » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:09 pm

I can imagine there would be a rediculous amount of phasing between these two signals if used at the same time.

I have done something similar to this but i used it as an effect that was cross-faded to and from.
Curtis Franklin
Feel free to ignore me and use your ears.
curtisfranklin@earthsedgestudio.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:44 pm

I've put EQ on my compressor returns before but never a straight EQ only parallel. I dont' see why you couldn't though.