"Device must be earthed"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brontosaurus
audio school graduate

"Device must be earthed"

Post by brontosaurus » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:22 pm

What does this mean exactly? And how do I do it to make sure. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:27 pm

that is across-the-pond speak for "this device must be grounded".

generally speaking, if your space has normal 3-prong electrical outlets, they should be grounded.

of course there are exceptions. in my apartment, only about 1/2 of my outlets are really grounded. old building, and surely out of code.

there are devices you can use to check it. if you don't already have a meter, you can use one of those plug-in ground checkers from the hardware store.

alternately, most power strips these days have an indicator light that shows if the connection is grounded.

good luck!

frank

brontosaurus
audio school graduate

Post by brontosaurus » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:55 pm

Cool thanks alot. So it sounds like if Ive got three pronged power outlets/inlets I should be fine.

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

Post by amishsixstringer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:38 pm

Not necessarily... Just because there's a hole for the ground doesn't mean that there's a wire connecting it to the earth. You still have to test these outlets.

brontosaurus
audio school graduate

Post by brontosaurus » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:55 pm

Sorry for the onslaught on newbie electrical questions but? will a power strip with 3 pronged outlets suffice even if the wall outlet is not grounded?

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:45 am

Nope.
Grounding means that eventually, down the line, usually near the electrical panel, that third prong actually ties onto a copper bar that's been hammered into the dirt. This is a safety mechanism so that excess electricity that might build up in the device, or be send through the device from a surge or short has a destination other than into the operator (you).
So if the outlet isn't connected to ground, then nothing you plug into it will be connected to ground.

It's nothing serious to find out. If you own expensive electronic gear, and especially if you move around with it to various locations, then it's worth the whopping $5 it would cost to get one of these:
Then you would simply test the circuit and only plug into circuits that test "correct" (two yellow lights).

An obvious question (I hope) is, 'if grounding is so important then why do so many high-power devices only have a 2-prong plug'?
Good question, glad you asked.
In order to comply with US law and be tested, rated, and listed by UL, non-grounded devices must have a special shorting 'fuse' built into the middle of their main power transformer that will short the "Live" prong to the "Neutral" in the event of a short, to protect the operator (you). When that fuse is tripped the power supply is pretty much dead, but hopefully you are not.

-Jeremy

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:22 am

Everybody on this board needs to have a receptacle plug tester. Your life is worth more than $5.

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:15 pm

Question: what can I do if I get a tester and find out that my wiring is not grounded? Move?
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:36 pm

Stephen B. wrote:Question: what can I do if I get a tester and find out that my wiring is not grounded? Move?
man, if you're renting, hassle your landlord - I'm no lawyer, but that's gotta be illegal.

Professor

Post by Professor » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:00 pm

I agree with asking the landlord about that. They could hire an electrician to clean that up and know that they will be safer from possible litigation if someone does get hurt.
If it's your own place, then you can call the electrician.

Or, you can just make a note of which outlets are wired correctly and which are not (that's what I did in my old condo) and don't plug anything but 2-prong devices into the open-ground outlets. That's fine for wall warts, TVs, VCRs, lamps, and all sorts of stuff. Then plug critical devices like computers, recording gear, etc. into the grounded outlets.

-Jeremy

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:16 am

It should also be noted, that while those testers will indicate a properly wired receptacle, there are several consitions that will mislead them to indicate a proper ground, where there is not actually one. If you're really in doubt about any place that you spend a lot of time, get an electrician to look at it.

On another note, many of those labels are there for legal reasons, rather than actual operational issues.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."