Arranging and producing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Arranging and producing

Post by blixton » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:54 am

I'm looking for either a book or online info on arranging and producing techniques when using a multitrack tape recorder. Subjects like overdubbing, etc.. Like "how to produce an album" kinda thing. Thanks

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:40 am

Welcome aboard.

This place is a pretty good place if you have specific questions. Gearslutz and Pro Sound Web are also cool.

There have been a few book threads so try a search.

If its tech stuff you need go ask Brian Roth the mod in the DIY forum here. That guy's a wealth of knowledge.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:07 am

Two college texts:

"Modern recording techniques" by David Miles Huber

and

"Practical recording techniques" by Bruce and Jenny Bartlett

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:20 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:Two college texts:
holy. going to college to learn how to produce records is like going to college to learn how to drive a fork lift. They'd probably call that major "inventory management"...

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:49 pm

or... like going to college to learn how to be creative and intuitive and develop a winning, charming way with people and study up on a passion for music and enroll in a class that teaches a burning desire to do this and nothing else.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:06 pm

soundguy wrote:
holy. going to college to learn how to produce records is like going to college to learn how to drive a fork lift. They'd probably call that major "inventory management"...

dave
to the person who started this thread-

if somebody knew nothing about driving a forklift but wanted to learn, they just might be better off reading a little about it before they tried, as opposed to NOT reading anything before trying. if nothing else, just to make those initial attempts go a little smoother.

good luck and have fun!

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Jump into the water!

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:53 am

Rimsky-Korsakov's book on arranging is the classic. What's the difference, really between stacking tracks up on a score or on a multitrack machine. Also buy some Nelson Riddle scores and listen to him. With the possible exception of Phillip Glass you've now studied the greatest arrangers of all time.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:50 am

soundguy wrote:

dave
Well, with Modern Recording Techniques will teach you how to vamp up your current space and help with room tuning and concepts that you can use to help yourself with getting good sound. It's the equivalent of setting up your forklift so it makes tighter turns in smaller spaces, and get the hydraulics much smoother... and perform maintenance on it.

It's like saying studying music theory is going to dampen your creativity. If anything it's like an artist that gives himself different paintbrushes and paints and shit. If that artist doesn't use ALL the paints and ALL the paintbrushes, it's by choice, not because he doesn't know how to use them.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:30 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here...in my opinion, there is no "right" way to produce or arrange a song unless you want to sounds like a robot. Follow your gut, don't be afraid to try a bunch of stupid stuff, and you'll know when you get it right. What you need is time and patience, not a book. I know for me, the less I know about the "right way" to do things, the more room I leave for creativity...again, just my opinion.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:53 am

Just as a bit of a counter-balance. I "tried stupid stuff" for a few years, and only after finally cracking some books, did I realize that I'd been making easily correctable errors born of ignorance, all along. Reading is good. Do it now, and keep it up, while you're learning. It'll help you avoid pitfalls. Never stop experimenting, though. It is an art form, after all...

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:33 pm

Go study 40's and 50's pop, rock, and r'nb sounds - the pinnacle of arrangement, in my view. At least as far as a bunch of people tracking it live in one room.
beware bee wear

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:03 pm

lyman wrote: if somebody knew nothing about driving a forklift but wanted to learn, they just might be better off reading a little about it before they tried, as opposed to NOT reading anything before trying. if nothing else, just to make those initial attempts go a little smoother.
I was on the road a few years back and met this guy who was becoming friendly with the people I was staying with, he had just moved into the area. He said he drove heavy equipment on construcion sites and stuff. One night we were all sitting around and this guy starts going on about how he "had" to move from the state he was living in before, turns out he wanted to drive those big earth movers with the crane arms and bullshitted his way onto job sites as an operator. He'd fuck one up, get fired and get another job, teaching himself how to work the thing along the way, after he had been fired from all the jobs he just moved with a competent understanding of how to work the thing and got a steady gig. Seemed totally retarded to me at the time (and this guy was the real deal trust me) but in retrospect I think this anecdote applies brilliantly to producing records. When people read books they say things like "that fader looks like its in the wrong place". Someone said that to me once, I had to laugh. Dont get me wrong, reading is amazing, but with all the incredible literature available in the world and the limited time we have to read it, I personally am reading Homer before I read a book about producing records. Chapter 8: When it feels right. Chapter 14: How to know when the band is fucked up enough to perform. Chapter 2: Strategic layout and storage of Take Out Menus. Chapter 11: Best ways to abuse interns in front of the band to boost the singers ego and get a better vocal take.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:13 am

soundguy wrote: Dont get me wrong, reading is amazing, but with all the incredible literature available in the world and the limited time we have to read it, I personally am reading Homer before I read a book about producing records. Chapter 8: When it feels right. Chapter 14: How to know when the band is fucked up enough to perform. Chapter 2: Strategic layout and storage of Take Out Menus. Chapter 11: Best ways to abuse interns in front of the band to boost the singers ego and get a better vocal take.
Put me down for a copy of that!

Chapter 6: Don't store 2" reels next to the guitar players 4x12

I dunno though...is this guy looking for a book on "engineering & production" or "arrangement & production"?

Those are two VASTLY different things.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:53 am

curtiswyant wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here...in my opinion, there is no "right" way to produce or arrange a song
But there is definitely a wrong way!