Vinyl Pressing Plant Recommendations?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:56 pm

He Who Records Voices wrote:Here is the deal, from what I have read in the vinly asylum at audioasylum.com (where I post as Mark Maloof, why I chose the goofy "He who records voices" moniker here I dunno. Well, it is what I do for a living....) Also, at remastering engineer Steve Hoffman's site (stevehoffman.tv). DMM results in more high frequency info, and the potential for quicker transients. However, some folks find DMM records sound "bright". I know some folks who hate DMM, esp. reissues Blue Note did in DMM (tough I think early digital crap had something to do with that as well.) Also, I have read that music with extreme bass (think dance, or super heavy industrial/metal) may cause the stylus to skip out of the groove!

Ok, here is something I founnd <http://www.dccblowout.com/showpages.asp?pid=1130> And if you don't want to read the whole thing (one person's opinion, but it is interesting), here is that person's take on DMM:

"What is DMM Mastering? ? "With Direct Metal Mastering, the groove is cut directly in copper metal. High-frequency loss, distortion and pre-echo associated with conventional lacquer mastering are eliminated and transient response is greatly improved. DMM record pressing sound brighter, cleaner, more detailed, with 15% more playing time than with lacquer technology. Stampers are plated directly from the DMM Copper Master, eliminating two of the three plating steps required for lacquers."

Sounds good, right? No it doesn?t sound good. DMM mostly makes records that sound like CDs. Brighter, cleaner and more detailed are what CDs do, at the expense of warmer, richer, sweeter and more tonally correct. I avoid DMM records like the plague. Try some DMM Blue Notes if you want to hear some of the worst sound ever committed to vinyl.

"What is DMM Mastering? ? "With Direct Metal Mastering, the groove is cut directly in copper metal. High-frequency loss, distortion and pre-echo associated with conventional lacquer mastering are eliminated and transient response is greatly improved. DMM record pressing sound brighter, cleaner, more detailed, with 15% more playing time than with lacquer technology. Stampers are plated directly from the DMM Copper Master, eliminating two of the three plating steps required for lacquers."

Sounds good, right? No it doesn?t sound good. DMM mostly makes records that sound like CDs. Brighter, cleaner and more detailed are what CDs do, at the expense of warmer, richer, sweeter and more tonally correct. I avoid DMM records like the plague. Try some DMM Blue Notes if you want to hear some of the worst sound ever committed to vinyl.

I also happen to know of a few recordings that were originally Direct Metal Mastered, then reissued, and made the second time around with lacquer cutting equipment. Those are the copies to buy! They KILL the DMM versions. Just another good reason not to be fooled by the idea that "original is better". Original badly mastered records can?t compete with later properly mastered records. This seems obvious on its face, but I talk to audiophiles and record collectors all the time who find this difficult to understand. What is there to think about? Just play the record and listen. My question is, if you can?t tell a good record from a bad one, why collect records at all?"

I have one of thos Blue Note DMMs he mentions, and it sound AWFUL!

Interesting, thanks. The music on our record (the pictures posted above, thanks for the compliment) is super heavy doom metal with two basses and a bunch of sub synth and noise stuff and we've not had any problems with the needle jumping out, thankfully.

So i wonder why people are doing the DMM. Are they wanting records to sound like cd's? which isn't really possible to a certain degree.

He Who Records Voices
audio school graduate

Post by He Who Records Voices » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:52 pm

I've listened to badly mastered LPs that sounded as bad a poorly mastered cds. Anyways, the music sounds like it would be cooool. I enjoyed Sunn ))))) when they played here in NYC a little while back, and had a great time at the Melvins at a small club (Maxwells) last night (but I've probably seen them at least 20 times, they never put on a bad show.)

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:53 am

How do you all submit high resolution files to Pirates? Data DVD with mastering notes? FTP?

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:52 pm

Side question but related to vinyl pressing... how well is vinyl selling these days? It seems to be making a come back.
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio
A Solar Powered Colorado Recording Studio

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Here in Rochester, two of the biggest locally-owned record stores say the same thing:

"Vinyl's the only section making any money these days."
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:13 pm

Anybody used BROOKLYN PHONO? They're running a winter special, including master cutting and after talking to them on the phone, they seem like a cool, small family style business that actually does audio and takes care with the work they do. I'm just curious if that translates into anyone actually having a positive or negative experience with them. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

zachary
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zachary » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:30 pm

people should check out rip-v

http://rip-v.com/

no first hand knowledge, but it's brand new and apparently great?
trouble clef.

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:11 am

For the Europeans - this is the GZ Media site : http://www.gzdm.cz/en/vinyl/

I did two 7" runs with them 8 or 9 years ago and had no problems - we dealt direct, but there are loads of brokers in the UK and beyond who'll press your stuff with them.

Was happy with the DMM, and we did 110g 7", which were hilariously heavy :)
Lovely and loud too.

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:45 am

Gramofonove Zavody, or GZCD is one of the worst polluters in Europe man.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Vinyl Pressing Plant Recommendations?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:05 am

BrownSound wrote:Wasn't sure which category to post this in...

I intended on using United Pressing for my band's upcoming LP. The recording is 24 bit and I would like to send it to the pressing plant as 24 bit data files rather than 16 bit CD audio.

Unfortunately, I just learned that United does not accept 24 bit files. Does anyone know of a pressing plant who does? Or even just a pressing plant that you've had a great experience with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I recently had a test pressing from Universal Pressing, and liked it a lot. If possible, try to give them what they want. Usually you can re-export your mix masters using 16 bit instead of 24 bit. Try using a dithering algorithm and listen until you get the best sounding 16 bit file you can.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:34 pm

I know you can get a dithered 16 bit file to sound pretty good, but still thats pretty lame they don't accept 24 bit.

brightpavilions
alignin' 24-trk

archer.

Post by brightpavilions » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Hey folks.

Here in Detroit, we use Archer Records. They do a great job on anything from rock records to hip-hop and techno. If you're in the Midwest shipping will be cheaper too, or you can always come visit and pick up your records!

http://www.archerrecordpressing.com

ceylon
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ceylon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 am

my last LP was done at pirates. the jackets all became unglued after they sat fora few days. the print job was blurry and dark. they did refund us some money, though. they fucked up and compensated us.

Bob Weston
pluggin' in mics

Post by Bob Weston » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:00 pm

For good quality pressing, I recommend:

1. Having the lacquers or coppers cut at a dedicated mastering studio (not in-house at the pressing plant).

2. Having the metal-plating done by a dedicated plating facility like Mastercraft Metal Finishing in New Jersey (although the in-house metal plating at RTI and Rainbo is totally fine).

3. Pressing plants that we have good results with:

Archer in Detroit
A+R in Dallas
Brooklyn Phono in...
Rip-V in Montreal
Bill Smith in El Segundo, CA
RTI in Camarillo, CA

United (URP) can be fine as long as you get the metalwork done at Mastercraft.

There's really no problem using DMM. All the vinyl releases from my band, Shellac, have been cut DMM at Abbey Road. They don't sound brittle, high endy, or like a CD to me.

A good mastering engineer can make a great sounding LP cutting to either lacquer or copper. A poor engineer can make a really bad sounding LP cutting into either lacquer or copper.

bob weston

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:30 am

the Weston has spoken. Thanks for dropping by.