equipment suggestions for miss saigon

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

equipment suggestions for miss saigon

Post by dungeonsound615 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:17 am

ALright so i attended my meeting, and had a lot of my questions answered. After looking around the place i found out that it seats about 425. So i inquired as to what equipment they have and it appears the only thing they have are two EV speakers stage right and left, and then two more fill speakers of some kind, a little farther back not much though again on each side of the theater up on the wall. Any suggestions for putting an equipment list together. Im also trying to keep the bidget as low as possible

Im thinking maybe a mackie mixer 1604

some LAV's

an in ear monitor for the band director

cables, not sure what all i will need yet.

graphic EQ possibly, compressor

two CD players.

and im sure im forgetting as ton of stuff as im rushing to type this before work.

thanks Mike

Angie
gettin' sounds

Post by Angie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:00 am

Wow, that is a huge, challenging show! Is this a community theater production?

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:31 am

Let me start off by saying the only stage piece I did was recording a small performance with an x/y pair and that was not amplified. My suggestions come from what I have heard my actor friends talk about.

One thing that Behringer makes that is unique and easily worth the money is The Shark. It's a feedback eliminator. If i were doing sound for a play, I'd get one of those first thing. Some shows outfit the smaller voices with lavaliers and transmitters, letting the people with good projection to set the base volume of the gig. In a place that size, I would hesitate to outfit everyone with a mic.

For the helicopter scene, you will probably want a subwoofer or some bass bins.

But whatever you do, make sure you set the smug american arrogance filter to its highest setting. I was forced to sit through that show when it was playing at Orchestra Hall and nearly fell out of my seat laughing and it's not a comedy.

Congrats! It sounds like a real good sound challenge.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:04 am

whoa dude, sounds like an awesome gig. Your definitly gonna wanna get some subs for the copter scene. When i saw a small production of it they had a bunch of subs and it was great being able to feel the choppers

Kelly
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Kelly » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:37 pm

Graphic analyzer

Some nice Gates/Expanders and a Compressor with a sidechain

Coffee