Line 6 Toneport. Anyone Updates On This?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Line 6 Toneport. Anyone Updates On This?

Post by Catoogie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:55 am

Just saw Jimmy Rip RAVING about the Acoustic Variax and got me checking out some of the other products.

Anybody used one?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:34 pm

I have a toneport ux2 and like it alot. Obvious uses are late night composing and practice sessions with previously recorded tracks or hammering out basslines, guitar riffs, etc. But I also use it as a guitar pre out to a mic'd cab for bass and guitar sometimes.

The mic pre emulator is fantastic for background vox as well. Some of the sounds you can tweak out of it with just a mic plugged in are very up front, focused, with excellent dimensional detail. I can forsee using it for some lead vocal work in the future but am too stuck on what I'm getting from the EH 12AY7 right now to sacrifice the focused, solid feel of the EH. But it's a total winner for backup and background vox.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Ben Logan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ben Logan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:12 am

KennyLusk - sounds like we're in the same "budget bracket." I've got an EHX 12AY7 too - love it.

I went in for a toneport. I couldn't resist. It just looked like such a fun toy. And it is just that - a toy. But, sometimes toys sound good on albums (think Beatles blowing bubbles into mic'd up jars of water, etc.)

I'll tell you where Toneport has really improved my ass-sounding recordings though, for real. BASS. I always go direct (through my RNP before). I never really liked the "bap" sound that I got from the RNP. Toneport has models of Ampeg and Fender Bassman with choice of cab emus. They've got the RNP direct sound beat for me.

The guitar tones sound modeled though. I'll always mic up my little champ over the Toneport. But, it's great for getting ideas which I'll later record through my amp.

It's cheap. I recommend it, totally. You'd be hard-pressed not have 130 bucks worth of fun. The drivers work well too. No major crackling and no crashes with Logic Audio.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:51 pm

I was thinking about picking up a pod xt for home recording (I cant really mic up a cab or the cops will come and haul me away). If I am just using the pod for a marginally better guitar/bass sound than going direct to my hard disc recorder, wouldnt it be a better idea to get a toneport which has some of the modeling capabilities but also the mic pres and such?
me make purty musick!

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:26 pm

My bandmate just got a Toneport. He's using it with his laptop, which allowed us the opertunity to record in another room of my house without using long cables. We have a couple problems though. First, there seems to be a latency issue. He's got the latest drivers though. Also, we haven't figured out how to record two seperate tracks using the two seperate mic inputs. I'm sure these things will be worked out, but it's his setup so I have to wait for him to figure it out.

I have the Bass Pod XT, and my bandmate's original Pod is here too. I love them both. I heard a couple models on the Toneport that were pretty cool. Honestly though, I've been recording direct like this for a while and I'm really tired of the clean sound. I'm still going to use Pods (at least my Bass POD), but I will be using mic'd amps and room mics too to help give some soul back into my tracks.