vox pathfinder or epiphone valve jr. ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Tucson
audio school graduate

vox pathfinder or epiphone valve jr. ?

Post by Tucson » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:10 pm

Looking to pick up a cheap small amp for recording guitars and reamping.
I've heard good things about both of these.
Any recommendations?
Write a good song, and they will come

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:13 pm

Never having actually used the Epi (so take this with a huge grain of salt), I'd actually opt for the one with more tubes - the Epi, because you can roll out different tubes and get a variety of sounds from one amp. The little Pathfinder, though, is very cool for what it does, as is the small Orange crush amp (and, it's orange, which is a huge plus in my shallow book).

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:23 am

I have also never used the Epi but am completely satisfied with my Pathfinder. The clean tones sound great and glassy. The spring reverb is fantastic too.

I actually think you may be able to get a wider variety of tones out of the Pathfinder as it has many more controls than Epi's one volume knob.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:42 am

You could do a search on ebay for vintage "no name" tube amps.

Eeldip swears by his Alamo 8)
WWRHS?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:26 am

Hmmm, let's seeeeee. Tubes, or No tubes? I'll take a pair of the one with tubes and I can pay. LOL.

Seriously though, for recording, the Epi is a far more versatile and useable small amp. The Pathfinder (the modern manufactured version) is ok but since it's not tube driven there's no way you'll get even close to the tonal variations you can muster from the Valve Jr. With the valve Jr. you can change the sonic voicings in the power section AND the pre-amp section by rolling in different tubes.

However, tube driven amps aren't necessarily optimal for re-amping (you said you want to re-amp with it) but if you roll lower gain tubes into the pre and higher quality tubes into the power section you'll have more success. Lately I've been using the CV4024 in the pre section of one of my amps for re-amping and it's a fantastic tube for that.

Between a new pathfinder or an epi valve jr. the winner's gonna be the epi IMO.

Mark's right about the Alamo. That's a winner man and Eeldip is a lucky bastard for scoring one.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:08 am

Well, I figured I would chime in here since I actually own them both.

I have the head version of the valve jr. and I just got it, so my time spent with her is limited.

I would honestly say, buy both! For about $200 you could have them both and they are both great in their own way.

The valve jr. has tubes and is a great, simple design. However, the pathfinder is extremely responsive and has a lot of tonal variation and breaks up quite nicely. Not necessarily a tube amp, but not your typical ss amp either. It has reverb and tremolo, so if that's important to you, worth considering. They are obviously the weak link, but to some people that's important.

I have yet to swap tubes, etc. of the valve junior, but I will. That will definitely open up the sonic pallet a bit, I'm sure. Keep in mind, my version has ONE control, a volume knob.

So in closing, I would say get both if you can. If not, play them and see (hear) which you prefer. If I personally had to choose one, I would probably go with the vox but it would be a hard decision.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:02 am

Mark wrote:You could do a search on ebay for vintage "no name" tube amps.
Eeldip swears by his Alamo 8)
thanks for giving away the farm! well, anyway:

$99 BIN
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1969-ALAMO- ... dZViewItem

i have a "challenger", it has a cool, somewhat odd tone. i got mine for $69. i've had sessions where the Alamo totally kept up with a borrowed $2000 fender harvard. i mean, they were quite different... but still, we went about 50/50 between the two.

but like, a real tube amp like the alamo above, hand wired, point to point.. its gonna give you a lifetime of service. very very cheap and easy to work on.
Last edited by eeldip on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:02 am

I've used both as well..I like the pathfinder better personally..but they are both on the same level I would say..

Tucson
audio school graduate

Post by Tucson » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:17 am

How do they compare running a bunch of pedals into them?
Write a good song, and they will come

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:23 am

Avoid*Catsup wrote:I've used both as well..I like the pathfinder better personally..but they are both on the same level I would say..
and in what ways why do you like it better? sound and what kind of sound, applications? volume? clean? distortion?, design?, purdy color?

I've been thinking about getting a pathfinder for awhile for a fun practice amp, and now i'm intriqued about this valve jr thingy. I've not been able to try one out yet.

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:54 am

you didn't specifically ask ME, but I'll give you my thoughts.

The pathfinder, while totally solid state, has a truly great tone. I think some searches around here and other forums will show you quite bit of agreement on that one.

It has a great range of sounds as well. The amplifier is responsive LIKE a tube amp, so you it really pulls out the tone of the guitar and the player. It can power a variety of different speakers/cabinets, further adding to it's flexibility.

I've run pedals in front of it and it sounds great. It's tiny and not the best build quality in the world (if not a bit ugly) but it sounds great, and I could actually imagine gigging with it if I had to. Would probably have to mic it, but I usually do anyway.

The valve junior, is a true type a tube circuit. It accepts pedals as well. It's also pretty nice to look at in a Z-vex kind of way.

It's really up to personal preference. I find the pathfinder has a lot of tonal variety where the valve jr. is a bit more of a one trick pony. Weather that trick is for you, only you can decide.

Again, both fun and cheap. I wouldn't replace my Marshall JMP with either of them for a desert island amp, but they're fun to own and record well.

tfred812
studio intern

Re: vox pathfinder or epiphone valve jr.

Post by tfred812 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:35 pm

Don't have the Epi, so I can't compare, but as a satisfied Pathfinder owner I thought I'd point out its distinctively Vox-like attack. When I first plugged into mine, plucked a string, and heard that satisfying "thoink" I immediately thought of "Twist and Shout" and thought: "So that's where the Beatles got that sound." If your ears are at all tuned to the Beatles and their solo stuff (McCartney still uses Vox stuff, I've read), you should be well pleased. (Not that that's all the amp can do.)

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:38 pm

Incidentally I'm also going to vote for the Pathfinder (as an owner of said amp, not from any objective experience of both boxes). It's a lot more versatile than you'd think.
WWRHS?

MichaelJoly

Post by MichaelJoly » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:00 pm

I own and love both.

Pathfinder = Beatles, Epi = Stones

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:09 am

MichaelJoly wrote:I own and love both.

Pathfinder = Beatles, Epi = Stones
It's a good way to think about it..