chinese ribbon mic questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JWL
deaf.

chinese ribbon mic questions

Post by JWL » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:15 pm

Hi all, I've decided to dive into the world of ribbon mics with one of the cheapo chinese imports. I've never used a ribbon before. I've begun to look into it, and have learned that there are basically 2 models being produced and widely rebranded.

My first inclination is to go with Shinybox, both because I like the little guy and because they come with cool cases. So then, which one? The 23 or the 46? I'm looking forward to recording acoustic guitar with it, though I'll probably use it on vocals also.

However, I see that Shinybox is presently out of the stock 46 (I can't afford the transformer upgrade at this point). But I did see the
Apex 205 at a much better price than the Shinybox 46 (albeit without the cool case).

So, here are the questions.

Which mic do you like, the bigger one (Shinybox 23 and clones) or the smaller one (Shinybox 46/Apex205/etc)? I hear that the smaller model has a hotter output, but does anyone own both, and if so which one do you prefer? Which one would you buy first? At this point I'm leaning toward the Apex just because it's cheaper. I keep seeing people talk about the TapeOp group buy, are these still available? I've searched the forums here with no luck.

Second question: I saw where Michael Joly wrote about a mod to these mics, basically removing a lot of the protective material to open up the response. Have people tried this?

Thanks for any advice.....

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:18 pm

This is coming from no experience with shinybox (as of yet) so take it with a grain of salt...

But, I'm looking into a pair of those myself....might just do it even. From the sounds on the website (there are some hidden ones featuring drums if you click on the individual mics), I'm interested in the 23....the 23L to be exact.

I will say that if you are going with the cheapy rebrands at all, you'd do best by going through shinybox. I say this based on the level of customer service they seem to offer and what others I trust have had to say.

The group buy thing is way over with, btw. (Ah, the good 'ol days..."I'll take 2 and can pay!")

This is probably no help....sorry. I DO love my M160s though! :wink:

A search around here for shinybox brings up some good stuff as well.

heylow

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:21 pm

I agree that Shinybox looks great, but which one? The 23 or the 46? I wish they had the 46 in stock, I'd be tempted to just order both....

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:01 pm

I ordered the Shinybox 23. I plan to use this mic in a M-S configuration, and Jon from Shinybox told me that the larger mic bodies have a more even response front to back, the 46 is a bit brighter in one direction because the ribbon is not mounted symmetrically.

So the 23 it is. I ordered it today, and plan to start recording with it as soon as it arrives.... w00t!

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Yeah, good call then.

I'm thinking I might have to go in for the 23 with the Lundahl tranny in it. Wooo-hah!

Good luck with it!

heylow

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:25 pm

I wanted to update this thread.... I've been using my 23, modded nearly to Michael Joly's specs as listed above (I left the inner fine mesh layer of the outer windscreen in place, but removed the other 5 of 6 parts he recommends).

First of all, this mic is SERIOUSLY opened up by the mod. Wow, what a difference.

Secondly, this mic is amazing. I've been using it in the M-S config with a Rode NT1, and the two tones complement each other very well, the ribbon gives that wonderfully rich low end, and the condenser gets the treble; if I record with the soundhole of the acoustic aiming into the null spots of the mics, wow. Just... wow. Easily the best sounding acoustics I've ever recorded.

This is my new favorite mic.... now I'd like to have 3 of the new Shinybox 46 mics on a drum kit in the Glyn Johns config.... heh.