help set-up logic express w/quattro please!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

atombee
audio school

help set-up logic express w/quattro please!

Post by atombee » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:45 pm

Believe it or not I am not a total newbie, but I cannot figure out what I am missing here. I used to have a pretty good setup working a few years ago, but moved away for a while ... now back ... trying to set up recording again & am clueless.

I am using a mac intel mini, a quattro usb interface, logic express and/or garage band ... i have also a little behringer mixer trying to use "tape in & tape out" to go to and from the quattro ...

I have not installed any drivers for the quattro, because i can't find any. I mostly want to record one mono or stereo track at a time, overdubbing.

Right now, I just want to record a guitar track for a song.

I went through the setup assistant in express, no surprises. Went to audio preferences and selected "quattro audiosport" as input & output ... went back to the arrange screen in logic, selected the audio 1 track, hit the record button and the meters just redlined. Luckily no sound was coming out of the quattro into the mixer ...

Can anybody quickly walk me through set up here? I bought the quattro used, no manual, and the logic manual is no real help, and from what I can see, it's supposed to be fairly transparent but I am clearly missing something.

I did do a search, of course, before posting. Couldn't find anything.

Any help greatly appreciated.

-kb

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:39 pm

I have a quattro and I use logic. First things first, get the drivers at m-audio.com
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers

Then, in the Sound prefs pane, set quattro as your audio in and out. Try to use iTunes or something. Can you get music out of the quattro? Forget about logic and see if it works with the mac in general. When you get audio to come out of it, go to the input system preferences pane and plug something into the input of quattro and see if the level meter moves there.

Once you've got that going...I'm trying to remember what to do here as I'm not in front of my machine...I'd run through the logic setup assistant again. One thing to make sure is that when you open Logic's Audio preferences (Logic menu, choose preferences, then Audio tab IIRC), make sure that you have "Core Audio Enabled" checked, rather than TDM. I remember mine stayed on TDM the first time I set it up. If you end up having to enable this, choose your quattro for IO in the dialog box. You have to restart Logic after you change this. I think that should do it.

There's an outside chance you have to set something up in the 'Audio Midi Setup' app. That lives in Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.

Best of luck.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:51 pm

you may want to check out that drivers page...I only see "PPC" plugs for 10.4.3 and above. Chances are you're funning later OS than that. I don't see Intel drivers...doesn't mean they aren't out there..might be worth a call to m audio. I did you use logic on a mac with a quattro for a couple years...great sounding box, actually.

atombee
audio school

thanks for reply - u r correct - no drivers for the box

Post by atombee » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:07 am

I found a Logic expert on Craigslist, had him come over. He spend a half-hour looking for drivers online. No luck. this particular audiosport got orphaned during mergers, etc.

I went and bought a Tascam US-122, got home and discovered there are no drivers yet for Mac OS 10.4.6 ...