DIY Ribbon mics - Feasable?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scooter B
audio school

DIY Ribbon mics - Feasable?

Post by Scooter B » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:14 am

I am guessing a low probability on this one but with the popularity of a few cheaper chinese ribbon mics hitting market (Shiny Box etc) and discussion of a few mods to these it got me thinking about DIY from scratch or converting some sheap mic bodies into DIY ribbons.

From what I hear the capsules for the consensor mics require near sterile clean rooms for manufacture but I don't really know much about the anatomy of a ribbon mic but I do know they require alot of clean gain to sound good.

Any links to the inner workings and design of ribbon mics?

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:37 am

I'm sure there are a few pictures/diagrams/schematics of the insides of ribbon mics out there (prodigy-pro forums: http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/ or the yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/micbuilders/), if I find some, I will post again with the links.
As far as a D.I.Y. ribbon mic, I am pretty sure TOMB member ubertar came up with a design which worked. You might want to see if you can get in contact with him.
You might also want to check out Scott Helmke's (TOMB member Scodiddly) website: http://scotthelmke.com/ for some cool mics.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:24 am

If someone does come up with a nice DIY ribbon design, the ubiquitous Astatic 104 Silver Eagle would sure make a nice housing.

They are potentially figure-8, look great, are well built, and cheap...

"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:42 am

Definitely check out the forum at prodigy-pro listed above. On the main page, towards the top, click on "meta-meta", then scroll down and find the microphones meta, then prepare to read a hundred pages of info about diy ribbon mics.

Having just failed to make a tube microphone (still trying!), I wish that I had started with a carbon mic or something.

b

Scooter B
audio school

Post by Scooter B » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:39 am

Thanks for the cool links!

I really dig DIY for the fun and learning process but have so little time to record so its a conundrum. With a wife and two grade school kids I seem to have a little more time for occasional projects that don't require uninterupted relative quietness in the background.

I have some experience in woodworking and soldering basic stuff but my next DIY project will probably be a small low watt tube amp and nice hardwood cabinet. Just ordered a couple books on tube electonics and tube amps and am currently reading a download of Jack Darrows classic book.

The ribbon DIY mic challenge to me would be finding good ribbon material that you can't scew up to easy :lol:

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:15 pm

I finally found the page here where Marik showed up with his incredibly cool DIY ribbon mic:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... &start=120

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:25 pm

I made one, 2 magnets, a transformer and some silverplate aluminum foil stuff, sounds ok

looks hilarious
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com