Revive the thread - Name Dropping

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:35 am

I have a couple...

A very out of it Evan Dando once came to my band's show. After staring at our guitars (from inches away) for 10 minutes he proceeded to help us sing the chorus of our song. That and he brought in a giant branch of a tree from outside the club and sat on the floor. For you Bostonians...this was at the Midway in JP. That floor was not made for sitting.

The floor at the Whole in the Wall restaurant in Binghamton is the floor that was in Lee Ranaldo's house when he went to SUNY Binghamton. And that is probably the most useless piece of minutae I know.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:41 am

lsn110 wrote:A very out of it Evan Dando once came to my band's show. After staring at our guitars (from inches away) for 10 minutes he proceeded to help us sing the chorus of our song. That and he brought in a giant branch of a tree from outside the club and sat on the floor.
No shit, this happened to me too, at CBGBs, probably about twelve years ago (minus the tree branch.)

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:06 am

the finger genius wrote:No shit, this happened to me too, at CBGBs, probably about twelve years ago (minus the tree branch.)
Ha, that's awesome. There's actually more to the story. After we played (we were on last) he asked if he could borrow a guitar and play a set. Sure...why not. He played a nice solo set. At some point he asked (a non-existant soundman) if he could play one more. At that point a friend of mine (and his band) walked up to him and told him he was done. They then proceeded to play a 15 minute set of noisy punk. Truly one of the more surreal nights of my life.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:23 am

A few weeks ago I dropped acid with the ghost of john lennon while yoko ono stood and watched. Later on that night nico stopped by and gave me a big fucking bag of 100% pure china white and we shot it right into our hearts. Man, it was fucking awesome.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:28 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:A few weeks ago I dropped acid with the ghost of john lennon while yoko ono stood and watched. Later on that night nico stopped by and gave me a big fucking bag of 100% pure china white and we shot it right into our hearts. Man, it was fucking awesome.
Liar.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:29 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:A few weeks ago I dropped acid with the ghost of john lennon while yoko ono stood and watched. Later on that night nico stopped by and gave me a big fucking bag of 100% pure china white and we shot it right into our hearts. Man, it was fucking awesome.
no you didn't.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:33 am

what did the orangutan have to say about the quaaludes?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:57 am

i once ended up at the yard sale of Kool and the Gang's keyboard player in Cincinnati.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:17 am

I once stepped on Levon Helm's foot backstage at the House of Blues in N.O.
Also, I played at Julia Robert's wedding in Taos. Bruce Willis sat in on harmonica. He only brought one that was in A flat. Fun.
Side note, the drummer was caught trying to steal 4 bottles of Dom Perignon by Julia and her new hubby. She said "What the fuck do you think you're doing?"
The funny thing is, she would have just given them to him if he asked. The was literally a trough of about 25 bottles of the stuff at the end of the night/morning.
A couple of years ago Sheryl Crow jumped on stage at a club I was playing and sang back-ups to Happy. I remember thinking "Who the fuck is that drunk sorority girl. I hate when people jump on stage uninvited." Even after I found out it was her I was a bit put off. Pet peave.
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:43 am

A few weeks ago I drank beer with Bob Ross while your mom stood and watched. Later on that night your dad stopped by and gave me a big lecture of sorts and we painted right into our happy trees. Man, it was fucking awesome.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:02 am

Randy wrote:
i am monster face wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:<<<<<<<<-------------- Raven Riley!
Ummm...not that I know who that is...but ummmm...WHAT?
The Wikipedia is a repository of all useful and useless knowledge.
Oh I absolutely know who that is. I was just playing coy. I don't even know if that is the right word.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:15 am

RefD wrote:what did the orangutan have to say about the quaaludes?
isn't that ALWAYS the question?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:35 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
RefD wrote:what did the orangutan have to say about the quaaludes?
isn't that ALWAYS the question?
It is now.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:42 pm

i am monster face wrote:
Randy wrote:
i am monster face wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:<<<<<<<<-------------- Raven Riley!
Ummm...not that I know who that is...but ummmm...WHAT?
The Wikipedia is a repository of all useful and useless knowledge.
Oh I absolutely know who that is. I was just playing coy. I don't even know if that is the right word.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Hmm...

I've hung out with the Flaming Lips a couple times, and one of those times, Liz Phair was there, too. So sexy...(Steven Drozd, that is.)

I hung with Jeff Ament one night when he was in Boston for his Pearl Jam side-project Three Fish; then I met Mike McCready last time PJ came through Boston on their tour.

Carnie Wilson was best friends with a former boss of mine; they met as kids at fat camp. She would pop in occasionally and beg for attention.

Janet Weiss used to be my neighbor, and Sleater-Kinney's bottom end would travel from their practice room through the ground to my basement bedroom. Later, I worked with all the S-K girls at the Rock N' Roll Camp for Girls.

Stephen Malkmus, Calvin Johnson, and Slim Moon are pretty regular folks in Portland, OR, and Olympia, WA, too.

I met Krist Noveselic after he did a book reading at Powell's.

Woopie Goldberg tends bar (no shit) occasionally in my hometown of Gloucester, MA. She co-owns this place, and when she's in town, she gets back there and pours a few...

My sister worked for Ad-Rock's dad for a couple years, who himself is a famous playwright; Ad-Rock's sister got married at my best friend's house; and a buddy of mine built a bed for MCA. They are all regulars in Gloucester, MA, too (they give it a shout out on Hello Nasty's "Dedication").

I hung out with Wilco for a whole night (there's a post about it on here somewhere), and I got to meet Low, too.

I've met Mike Watt a couple times, which was a highlight for me.

I used to correspond with Dave Abbruzzesse (old Pearl Jam drummer) when I was in high school. It was just one of those things...he answered a letter, and back and forth we went for a little bit. This was after he had been fired from the band...

Michael Showalter (The State, Wet Hot American Summer) used to date my roommate. I didn't like him; seemed real cocky and had a general vibe of "I'm so smart and unique, you don't even understand me." But that's just my opinion, and what the hell do I know?

Paula Cole used to rent videos from me when I was in high school.

Michael Dukakis, Supreme Court Justice Stephen Briar, Wilco, and the guy who wrote Summer of '42 have all eaten at the restaurant where I work; John Malkovich, too.

But this is all peanuts compared to the guy who met Raven Riley...
Alex C. McKenzie