Revive the thread - Name Dropping

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:11 am

My father lived on a boat in DC for a time, and neighbored a famous congressman from California who eventually got indicted on corruption charges and became a mock-hero to Stephen Colbert. The "yacht club" where my father, said congressman and many other boat-living people lived had an annual mother's day event. At this event, a friend of my dad's, a woman and masseuse, was giving out free chair massages to any mothers who cared to come down to the club. Apparently, the corrupt and sleazy congressman passed her at the gate, the exchange, according to my dad, went something like this:

Congressman: "Hello, ___, what are you doing there?"

Woman: "I'm giving out free chair massages for mother's day."

Congressman: "Oh, I prefer my massages up the butt. (wink)"

What he could have possibly meant by that is ANYONE's guess, suffice to say, he has probably driven many a PR man to his death and my father was positively delighted to read about his indictment.

...OK, I guess I didn't really name-drop there, here's one: I got to talk to Donovan after he played a small acoustic set to a crowd of maybe 30 people at a Border's Books in Bethesda, MD. Fantastic performance, by the way. He confirmed that "Mellow Yellow" was not written about smoking banana peels ("It doesn't work" he whispered), but refers to a yellow dildo he saw in a shop in India.

Oh, and apparently I am a direct descendant of Henry Hudson's brother.

Life is funny.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:27 am

I met The Original Blues Brothers Band including (for that gig) Steve Cropper and Blue Lou. Steve is a GREAT guitarist. There's a lot of things I'm not saying here.

I was in the 90028 post office in Hollywood one time and bumped into a guy walking away after using the automatic postage machine. My friend who was there said "That way Ayer Gross!!" I said "Who?" He was in Soul Man, House (the movie), and has had a bunch of character roles on TV over the years.

I was saving a parking space for work where we were going to unload a bunch of computers and suddenly two black caddilacs with tinted windows pulled up and one went right into the parking space (I had to jump out of the way). My mouth was open in disbelief and I had my hand out in a "look what they just did to MY parking space" gesture, so when Jessie Jackson stepped out and saw me he shook my outstretched hand before proceeding into Rainbow Coalition/PUSH. We had to haul those computers one at a time from half a block away.

One time I went to this guy's house in Georgetown to look at his computer. He was a VERY good-looking guy who had pictures of him with famous people all over his den. I fixed up his computer and walked downstairs to leave and he was standing there. We talked about his computer and he apologized for not shaking my hand but he was holding this baby. I walked back to the office and our office manager said "How was Bob Woodward's place?" I said "Fine, nothing unusual" and then I realized the I had just met THE Bob Woodward, not just some guy with the same name as I had assumed. Classic Todd moment. Robert Redford was the perfect choice to play him in "All The President's Men".

Todd Wilcox

infopimpster
takin' a dinner break

Post by infopimpster » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:25 pm

I saw Fabio in a Black Bently on Sunset Blvd. circa 1999.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:08 am

infopimpster wrote:I saw Fabio in a Black Bently on Sunset Blvd. circa 1999.
That's it, this thread has peaked, and should be retired.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:55 am

the finger genius wrote:
infopimpster wrote:I saw Fabio in a Black Bently on Sunset Blvd. circa 1999.
That's it, this thread has peaked, and should be retired.
aye, it has now "jumped the Fabio".
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:05 am

my old band met and hung out with mickey raphael and bee spears (of willie nelson's band), and struck up a casual friendship with bee, who....

- introduced us to bradley hartman, who recorded two albums for us. (honey suckle rose, willie sings kristofferson, stardust, the band's - the last waltz, teddy ruxbin!) what a nice guy. just great.

- fed us awesome homemade gumbo at his pad in nashville when we were broke on tour once.

- hung out on our band's school bus along with the rest of the band (minus willie :( ) for like, two hours after a show in NH, telling awesome old school willie and family tour stories.

- snuck us into farm aid after a fortuitous canceled chicago gig one time. a band mate and i ended up infiltrating the several security checkpoints - even with our shitty radio-contest-winner passes, which allow you into....nowhere.

at said farm aid:
- met jeff tweedy and his wife. we gave him an album, and when tweedy's wife sue saw it, she said "hey! say zuzu! i like you guys, i've been trying to book you (at lounge ax in chicago -RIP)! you'd like this, jeff." we got all geeky and akward about this.

- i met neil young.

- met brian wilson, daniel lanois (helluva nice guy, and a hero), jon fishman and tr? a. from phish (and reminisced about the NH club the stone church with them. its in my town. they came up there). hootie and they blowfish. del mccoury.

- i met neil young.

- i stood on the stage in front of the monitor guys board with my bandmate cliff, phish and mickey raphael, and watched neil youngs entire kick ass acoustic set.

also...

john cougar mellencamp was the only "star" there, complete with an entourage clearing the way for him. what a wank. a big disappointment. his set sucked too. the keyboardist jumped down and rapped during small town. ick.

- paul schaeffer acted like a wank to us too.

- met willie again (had met him a coupla times before. nicest guy in show biz!)

and...

- i met neil young.

i also got his autograph, and then lost the wallet i had it in. damn.

a few more:

i went to school with tommy makem's sons, and i've met the man on several occasions (RIP). the red sox's head trainer lives a few houses down. tom beregeron has a house in the next town over. my old bandmate's mom introduced him to his wife. nice feller.

i met neil young once.

hugz,
j-no

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:19 am

Jon - Ever meet Neil Young? Do tell.

Willie Nelson would be one of just a few people that upon meeting I'd instantly be rendered speechless. I grew up on Willie Nelson, Booker T. and the MG's, and the Beach Boys, thanks to a mom with impeccable musical taste.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:36 am

was neil nice?

i met steven wright at the shop i used to work at. i saw him walk in and was watching him, wondering 'is that steven wright'? and then he came up to the counter with his purchase, said "hi" and removed all doubt.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:56 am

I've heard other places the Mellencamp is a douche.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:45 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:was neil nice?

i met steven wright ......
yeah, neil seemed nice enough. he certainly didn't give off any "fuck off" vibes. he did have handlers that were shuffling him around, but it seemed pretty clear to me that that was the only way he could do anything or get anywhere at all. there were like five or six people assaulting him at any one point - all talking at him. i imagine it gets pretty annoying! i just kinda hung out near him and eventually held out a piece of paper and a pen after a short while. he gave me a nod. i was happy enough :)

steven wright hangs out in NH quite a lot too, at this pub in portsmouth. seems to really dig music. i gave him a CD once, and he offered to pay for it, but i declined.

the 'coug on the other hand? sheesh. the neil hangers on notwithstanding, it seemed to be a pretty low key back stage. there werent hordes of groupies or anything. so it seemed way over kill when his ppl started shouting about getting out of the way and stuff.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:20 pm

Shoot, I would trade a thousand Whoopie Goldberg sightings for a head nod from Neil Young...
Alex C. McKenzie

grilla
alignin' 24-trk

Post by grilla » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:43 pm

Had Angelo from Fishbone here the other night for some saxophone, vocal and theremin tracking. He was a consummate professional. First take keepers all the way on fresh, written on the spot material for a client of mine's project. Harmonies and everything.

It was a good night.
Peace & Respect

http://www.myspace.com/grilla
http://www.themanorstudio.com

The Manor Recording Studio
Los Angeles, CA

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 pm

grilla wrote:Had Angelo from Fishbone here the other night for some saxophone, vocal and theremin tracking. He was a consummate professional. First take keepers all the way on fresh, written on the spot material for a client of mine's project. Harmonies and everything.

It was a good night.
I hung with him and Norwood after a Fishbone show in Norfolk, VA, and they were both tremendously amazing people. Angelo brought out a didgeridoo and played it while Norwood just talked and told jokes. Really, really great people.

studilaroche
studio intern

Post by studilaroche » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:39 am

clintsteele wrote:working as a majordomo/hostess for a popular neve room in atlanta (early 1990's) resulted in a few namedroppables...
Would that have been Triclops?

Ben

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:39 pm

having grown up in LA, i've had my share of celebrity sightings over the years (after a show, in a restaurant, at the movies, etc., pretty basic stuff), but i did have a david byrne encounter back in 1990, memorable if only for its strangeness (apologies if i've posted this before- i so like telling it...):

i was having lunch with some co-workers at ship's restaurant in culver city, when one of us noticed david byrne walk by. he entered the coffee shop & went straight to a pay phone on the wall near our table. he talked on the phone for a few minutes, then walked past us and out the door. this happened several more times over the course of our meal. we all thought it somewhat odd, but not exceptionally unusual, given the locale (near paramount pictures and the like).

anyway, a few days later, one of the same co-workers got tickets to see john cale and michael brook at royce hall. we arrived early, and decided to go outside to smoke a joint. afterward, while my friend went to find a restroom, i decided to check out a display of medieval sheet music in a side gallery. i realized then that the stuff we had smoked was a lot stronger than i was used to, and i had to really concentrate to avoid getting totally disoriented. at some point, i noticed someone entering the room, which had been previously empty. looking up and expecting to see my friend, i was flabbergasted to be instead face to face with david byrne. we proceeded to wander around the space for several minutes, inspecting the display cases and avoiding each other's gaze. i so wanted to mention the experience of a few days before, and how funny, blah blah blah, but was so incredibly stoned i couldn't find the words.

later, as my friend and i found our seats in the hall, i noticed david (we were on a first-name basis by then) sitting a few seats away.

he left early, probably to go make a phone call.