Isolation Boothe..Need to make better... Better isolation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Wire
gettin' sounds

Isolation Boothe..Need to make better... Better isolation

Post by Wire » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:34 pm

I have a iso booth in a pre existing studio that we are trying to ?beef? up. The current construction is 2x4 wall with Rockwool AFB in them. A layer of sound block vinyl and 2 layers of 5/8? rock on top, and one layer of 5/8 on the outside wall, except one wall which is plywood and brick (the outside of the building).

Floor has subfloor layer of vinyl sound block layer of gypsum and another subfloor layer. Then the hardwood which flows into the control room.

What we would like to do in this room is use it for rock guitar work, so the levels will be pretty high. This is our problem, the room isn?t too big and we can?t be shrinking it down too much.

This is what we were thinking of doing. Pulling up the hardwood, doing a ?floating floor? isolated from all the walls. Doing another layer of soundblock on 100% of the room adding drywall on the more critical walls and ceiling. Then on the floor using a ?rubber? isolation product a 1? thick foam style product and then carpet instead of hardwood. The walls and ceiling will all be treated with 703 fabric covered panels. 1? on outside building walls 2? on ceiling and critical walls.

Please let me know what you think of this. We are going to be using a IAC acoustical door, so leakage in that respect will be minimum so we would like the rest of the room to be like that as well.
www.livewiresi.com
Cables, Connectors and Craziness

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Thu May 04, 2006 10:05 pm

that sounds pretty thorough...mine are much less intense, but I'm just trying to keep bleed out of the drums.

spaced stud construction (or double walls if you can) should help a lot, as there will be much less physical transmission through the walls. the drywall or whatever on the inside and outside should not be connected to the same studs. you should be able to do this only adding an inch or two to the wall thickness. something like this for the studs looking from the top but overlapping:
, ' , ' , ' ,

wyattt
gettin' sounds

Post by wyattt » Fri May 05, 2006 8:54 pm

I agree that it is a pretty thorough job. I would suggest if you have the space, to build a room inside the ISO booth with a small gap between the walls. If you can't do that, I would either re construct the walls with 2x6's on top and bottom with 2x4's staggered every 12" and insulation wrapped horisontally rather than vertically. Sheet rock is also good to add too. Try listening if you can to see what area provides the most leakage. and apply the neccessary treatment. I would also check what type of sound absorbtion materials you are using to make sure they treat the frequencies that potentially leak in or out.