AMPEX 1" 8 track Reel to Reel

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

AMPEX 1" 8 track Reel to Reel

Post by konabuzz » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:01 am

Hey, just wanted to pick your collective brain, folks....

I've got an opportunity to pick up (literally -- it's heavy) an old Ampex 1" 8 track Reel2Reel and I'm wondering if it's worth anything? I don't have need for it myself, but of course see the possible opportunity here.

I did not commit the model number to memory -- sorry. But it has 8 VU meters, the heads are clearly 8 track.It has a full reel of Ampex 1" (yes, it's one inch) tape and a take-up reel. Oh, it's not the console type where it lays down flat in a roll-away stand. This one stands upright from what I can tell. It's got in/out connectors that look the size of RCA jacks but actually are more like BNC connectors for radio (?) on top. Hmmmmm. Looks to be from the 60's and is incredibly tank-like and heavy duty. Looks to be in good shape, but even the power connector has a proprietary plug, so couldn't plug it in while looking at it.

Any idea what this is or if it has value? I'm going to take another look at it in a couple of days.

Thanks.....
"Jigsaw Jazz and the Get Fresh Flow"

http://www.youtube.com/user/simpletech?feature=mhee

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:28 am

Depends on what it is...it could be some funky old thing or who knows...if it IS an 8 track audio tape machine, it coul be cool. I know there was the 440 series available in 8 track and earlier than that, with the 300. This one could be some sort of data recorder or something too because I've not seen an Ampex 8 track audio desk(or a picture of 1) that wasn't in a rolling chassis form. Of course, it could have been removed at some point and made to rack up. My advice would be to get the model number and see it run if at all possible. If it turns out to be a cool deck(like a 440), then it might still be a lot of work to get running right. Probably not at all plug and play. I'm really not an Ampex expert at all. I have shopped for tape machines a lot in the past though. I also spent a lot of time talking to techs about them so draw your own conclusions.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:31 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...those strange jacks you mention are what makes me think it could be some sort of data recorder and not designed for audio. Some people will tell you those data recorders can be converted for audio use and while that may be true, it would be too much work to be worth it in all likelyhood.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:02 pm

Ampex also made 1" 8's w/ the MM1100 (or MM1200?) model numbers.

If it's one of those or a 440 then it could be cool. Very cool. The thing about all these machines is, if they have the big mother "B" or earlier transport then they're beasts in terms of handling tape. But, they're easy to get to know and fix. You can actually turn the transport section over and look at things and pretty easily see which components do what. Very simple.

The "C" versions are more smooth I guess. They're what most people prefer. So, maybe that would be even better.

I'm still confused as to whether the C version is a full servo transport or not.

Anyway, those are the model numbers to look for. If it's a data machine (like w/ the number 1400 (I think)) don't buy it. If it's free or something, maybe you can resell it, but I would just stay away. What I've seen for sale though, in terms of data machines, are usually, like 14 track 1" machines. Does that sound right?

Anyway, be prepared to learn, regardless.

Also, the 440 series is awesome sounding. regardless of how they handle tape, and what kind of beasts they may be, they sound cool cool cool.

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by konabuzz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:08 pm

Thanks for the ideas re. this beast......

Hmmmm.....data recorder.....well, it really looks like it's from the 60's (at least!).....Well, couldn't be much older than than that -- they didn't even have 8 tracks commercially produced 'till what....the mid 60's? So, as to being a data recorder.......hmmmm, I can't imagine.

Anyhow I remembered the guy who currently has it said it came out of a radio station. ......hmmmm...

Well, I'm going to check it out again (and likely take it home) Tuesday, so will know infinitely more with a model number.
"Jigsaw Jazz and the Get Fresh Flow"

http://www.youtube.com/user/simpletech?feature=mhee

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon May 01, 2006 6:51 am

Makes sense because Radio stations do often rack up tape machines. Could very well be an 8 track. Let us know what the model is when you look again. If it's any revision of Ampex 440, it could be a fun project and should sound fantastic once you've fixed it up to spec.

guitarandampnz
audio school

Post by guitarandampnz » Mon May 01, 2006 11:09 am

The connectors you describe sound exactly like those on an FR-1300 data recorder I was given, which is a data recorder. Some folks convert these for audio, but it is a HUGE project, and often not worth it.

When you look at it again, take a very close look at the heads. For a 1" machine, you would most likely have 14 tracks, but with staggered heads (probably four heads total, two record/two play), so 7 tracks per head, which is easy to mistake for an 8 track.

Also, check what speeds are supported--if it does more than a couple of speeds (and if some of them are greater than 30 IPS), it's probably a data machine.