Digi Command 8 cmpared to Tascam 2400?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goldsend
audio school

Digi Command 8 cmpared to Tascam 2400?

Post by goldsend » Tue May 02, 2006 8:41 pm

I'm purchasing a digi 002 rack, and I was also thinking of purchasing a DAW to accompany it. My problem, like many is money. The command 8 is made by digidesign and says to be 100% compatible with Pro tools LE. But Tascam says the same about the us-2400 DAW that they sell. It's much cheaper than the command, and has 24 channel faders. So it sounds like the much better deal, but I have some concerns. Will the us-2400 be as compatible, or compatible enough with Pro tools like it says it will, and also what about automaton. Do all faders have that playback ability and such? Any information will be greatly helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

thebookofkevin
studio intern

Post by thebookofkevin » Wed May 03, 2006 1:08 am

I recently purchased a Tascam FW-1884 for an audio interface and control unit. While the pre's don't work in Pro Tools unless I send them SPDIF or lightpipe, the control surface works wonderfully. The 1884 has this weird glitch though that prevents you from soloing, muting or record enabling multiple tracks from the surface. Hopefully the 2400 doesn't have that issue.

hth
Musicians are cowards.

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Fri May 05, 2006 10:29 am

The biggest problem with the Tascam is the lack of scribble strips. I can't think of anything more annoying than trying to use it to edit plug-ins or bank up to tracks higher than 24/. Having to change the window on your monitor and then start looking up and down from the screen to the control surface to see what you're doing can?t be fun.

The 5 biggest problems with the Command 8 are:

-Can't be expanded without buying a 002 or Control 24
-You can't assign automation modes with it
-You can't add new plug-ins with it
-It only works with Pro Tools so you're screwed if you buy another DAW
-no jog/shuttle

I do love mixing with my Command 8 instead of a mouse, but I wish I had bought the Mackie Control Universal instead.

Adam

macr0w
alignin' 24-trk

Post by macr0w » Fri May 05, 2006 2:10 pm

C/8 user here and I love it. :D
002R, Command/8
AMD 64 3500+
www.clearspotrecording.com