putting two mics onto one track?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

klute
alignin' 24-trk

putting two mics onto one track?

Post by klute » Wed May 03, 2006 8:26 pm

Is that called summing? I couldn't figure out how to combine two mics onto one track without running through a bunch of stuff. Both mics running through one side (respectively) of a pair of Averill 1272s. I have neutrik 1/4" balanced patchbays. I thought i could kind of do the reverse of multing but it didn't seem to work. I would prefer not to go through my console...any solutions?

wwittman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wwittman » Wed May 03, 2006 9:21 pm

well it's not the REVERSE of multing, it would be multing...you would mult the output of both preamps to one track.

but that's tying the two outputs together ELECTRICALLY which loads them differently than summing the outputs into a combiner amp.

the right answer, is a console.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, Hooters, The Outfield...)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu May 04, 2006 12:26 am

If not a console at least a line mixer.

macr0w
alignin' 24-trk

Post by macr0w » Thu May 04, 2006 11:06 am

Send both inputs out of a mono bus on your mixer/console.
002R, Command/8
AMD 64 3500+
www.clearspotrecording.com

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu May 04, 2006 11:31 am

Yeah, you know that is what a mixing console is really for... mixing sounds together.
Do you have a particularly poor sounding console, or not enough inputs, or are you trying to avoid the mixer for some other reason?
The other option would be a summing/dividing network which is just a few resistors built into a y-cable of sorts. That's what should be used for multing as well, though people often do that without the resistors. Of course going with that method does not give you individual control of the levels being mixed (except at the preamp) but the resistors will provide some buffering for the output amps of the preamplifier.

-Jeremy

klute
alignin' 24-trk

Post by klute » Thu May 04, 2006 1:37 pm

I was thinking that using the console would just involve running the signals through too many preamps and circuitry, you know? (I would much rather use my 1272s than my Ghost preamps...) Would it be beneficial to hit a nice pre after the combined signal leaves the console?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu May 04, 2006 1:52 pm

a) if you're using external pres, and taking their outputs into the line ins of the Ghost, you're not going through any extra preamps.

2) in that case, if you set up your gain structure right you oughta be okay. As stated before, this is what mixes are for.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu May 04, 2006 2:14 pm

Professor wrote:Yeah, you know that is what a mixing console is really for... mixing sounds together.
As absurd as it may sound, it took me years to finally *get* that simple truth... I think I was mezmerized by their rather complex structures... all the twidly knobs and lights and all...