dbx 163a - is this normal ???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Trem2
gettin' sounds

dbx 163a - is this normal ???

Post by Trem2 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:56 am

Just got this unit and I can return it if its not working properly.

When I slide the fader to the right (more compression) , it seems like the output goes louder. This is opposite to what you think would happen.

Do these things have some sort of automatic gain makeup ? There is an output gain knob so this seems a little weird to me.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu May 04, 2006 10:01 am

Just a guess here - it's compressing more, but not at the same knee, so more "stuff" is getting through also? I don't know...talking out of my ass.

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Thu May 04, 2006 10:19 am

mine does the same thing though. hmm, i like the way it sounds on kick drum, isn't there a little gain knob on yours?

justin
another metal guitar tip is to put a fan in front of you while you play, so it blows your stupid long hair around like the solo is BLOWING YOU AWAY because you're a fucking tool.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu May 04, 2006 10:46 am

I have a 163X and it does the same thing. The 163X has a trim control for the output (not sure if your's does too).

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Post by Trem2 » Thu May 04, 2006 10:48 am

Sounds like this is normal then. Just wanted to know if mine was screwed up and I should return it.

thanks

Drew's Analog Planet
gettin' sounds

Post by Drew's Analog Planet » Thu May 04, 2006 12:36 pm

EDIT: I did not notice that you have the A version. I know the original 163 did not have even an output trim, so it made up gain automatically. I think even the newer models, the A and the X, still do the auto gain make-up even though they have output trims.

ORIGINAL POST: It has automatic gain make up. A typical compressor has a separate volume output knob for this function. The 163 is a single-control "all-in-one" type device, that when you slide the control to the right does two things at once: compresses (which reduces gain and dynamics) while simultaneously compensating by turning up the output.

What are you using it for? I remember they used to be really popular for bass-player's live rigs.

Didn't come with the manual, huh?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu May 04, 2006 2:08 pm

trem...is that Mike Shank in your avatar?

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu May 04, 2006 9:13 pm

Yes - the 163x and 163a have auto gain-makeup, and it is ajustable with the knob to the right of the compression slider. (The 163 also has auto-gain makeup, but it isn't ajustable.)

One common trick is to slide the compression slider back and forth from left to right, listening to whether the output seems to go up or down when more compression is dialed in, then adjust the trim knob to make it 'seem' like the level stays the 'same' across the throw of the slider....
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Post by Trem2 » Mon May 08, 2006 9:59 am

Excellent. I think this thing sounds pretty cool on bass. I've yet to try it out on kick drum yet but by all accounts it works well there too.

And yes it is Mike Shank. One of my heros ! I still need to track down the cd he recorded.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon May 08, 2006 3:04 pm

mike shank recorded an album? far fucking out.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon May 08, 2006 3:09 pm

JASIII wrote:mike shank recorded an album? far fucking out.
probably just a bunch of metallica songs hacked out on a nylon string guitar. what a great film that is!

anyway, i've got a 163x and yes, the volume change when moving the fader is normal.