Digi 002 Rack vs. M-Audio 1814?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Tue May 09, 2006 7:57 am

I haven't spent time with the 002, so I can't comment on the quality. I hate the sound of my 1814 and was pretty sure I wouldn't like the 002 in the long run, based on other reviews and past Digi experience. That's why the word clock was one of my most important requirements... wanted to leave my options open...

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

002 and 1814

Post by jmligt » Wed May 10, 2006 8:30 pm

If you have an 002r and an 1814, will both work with PT LE? Or do you have to use the M-Powered Pro Tools when you have just the 1814 plugged in? I was hoping to be able to use the 1814 for smaller gigs since it has the smaller footprint and for simple mixing. I hate having to have the 002 always plugged in to my laptop like a giant dongle...

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Wed May 10, 2006 8:46 pm

You can't just run LE on an 1814 without the mpowered software... to use m-audio stuff with pro tools you have to use an ilok dongle.

However as long as you are running pro tools 7.1 the two versions of the software can run on the same computer. You just can't mix and match... a 002 won't work on m-powered software and M-audio hardware won't work with PT LE. But at least you don't have to partition your drive to use both any longer... (that's a recent update which used to be a huge pain in the ass)

M-powered has a lot of hardware options you can use to run pro tools, including the little micro-track which is like 80 bucks or something and only has mini-jacks in and out. The flexibility of interfaces is one of the main things led me to buy the m-powered version of Pro Tools.

I think the biggest problem with the 1814 is the firewire driver that they use with it. It is really finnicky such that you can't use firewire 800, the 1814 has to be the first device in the chain, you can't have a firewire hub anywhere in your setup and in general, it's just a pain in the ass to use.

But once you get things running, it's fine. Using ADAT lightpipe connection is sometimes weird with the clocking and you have to restart in order to get things to work properly... but i digress

The 002 is definitely the more "professional" option, in that it's quicker to setup, less likely to crash, seems more robust from a software standpoint, and it has more rugged construction and build quality (although I'm not saying it's fantastic, just relative to the 1814 it seems more professional)

I wish digi or m-audio would just come out with a box that actually does what people want. Seems like everything has some form of a trade off.