The most killing compression

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

The most killing compression

Post by joel hamilton » Sun May 07, 2006 5:01 pm

Anyone used the ADL 670?

I am in the market for a 670 type compressor, and I have heard good things about the ADL, but also about the EAR 660, and the Tube Equipment corporations SR-71 fairchild - esque replica. A person I trust very much was claiming the SR-71 is pretty amazing... Just seeing if anyone has tried any of these, or heard anything about any of them. I have used the actual 670 a few times, but I really dont need to spend more than 20k on a compressor. I am PRAYING that the SR-71 is completely killing, because it is the "cheapest" of the bunch at 7500 dollars [not including shipping the 44 lb beast] for the stereo unit.

Check out a pic of it here:

http://www.tubeequipment.com/

jmpizzoferrato
gettin' sounds

ADL

Post by jmpizzoferrato » Sun May 07, 2006 10:21 pm

i've used an actual 670 and the ADL 670. both for only about a day. i really got to dig into the ADL and it just sounded amazing. i monitored through it all day. i remember having fun popping it in and out of the mix. i always just wanted it back in. it definitely added a lot without sounding like it was adding a lot. it was smooth and even and fair. wish i could listen through it every day!

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Mon May 08, 2006 11:15 pm

I've never heard it, but it sure is sexy. BTW joel, your dudes from Unsane are cool, that CD sounds sweet, and yeah.
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

lunabeach
pluggin' in mics

Post by lunabeach » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:54 pm

Anyone try the SR-71 out yet?

supersockmonkey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by supersockmonkey » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:36 pm

Damn, just checked out the pics. Hell of allot tubes. Looks nice!
*Ryan*
My Music: www.myspace.com/wearethepacific In crystal clear MP3 format

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:36 pm

lunabeach wrote:Anyone try the SR-71 out yet?
I havent yet. I contacted them about trying one, and they were quite nice, but they dont really have a demo floating around it seems.... at least not in NYC...

I am going to try again after the new year. I am still looking....

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:54 pm

I'll bet that thing weighs more than my car!

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:41 am

Looks pretty awesome in a menacing kind of way. have you looked into the Shadow Hills mastering comp? It is just as big, a little cheaper and looks equally impressive. The S.H seems to have a lot more flavour options since it has selectable transformers like steel, Iron, ect, class -A, and an optical or VCA option at your fingertips. Check it out and make sure to wear a bib to catch all the drool coming out of your mouth. The thing as a 3 ru power supply as well to make it even more of a monster.

My suggestion might be moot point sice the S.H. is not a tube comp or an MU type for that matter. I'm just adding a suggestion to look at.

www.shadowhillsindustries.com

http://www.vintageking.com/New-Brands/S ... Compressor
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

Drew's Analog Planet
gettin' sounds

Post by Drew's Analog Planet » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:56 am

The Pendulum ES-8 might be worth taking a look at.

Not as sexy looking to be sure (well I guess it depends on what you find sexy) but not nearly as pricey either. The ES-8 is Fairchild like in design and apllication, only with many more attack/release oprions. I really like and respect Greg's work. This was the one he made with the 6386 tubes when you could still find them.

It's not a dead vintage reproduction to be sure, but I've heard it, I've used it, and I love this compressor. It should actually cost far more than it does.

http://www.mercenary.com/penes8twocha.html

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:55 pm

Drewcifer wrote:The Pendulum ES-8 might be worth taking a look at.

Not as sexy looking to be sure (well I guess it depends on what you find sexy) but not nearly as pricey either. The ES-8 is Fairchild like in design and apllication, only with many more attack/release oprions. I really like and respect Greg's work. This was the one he made with the 6386 tubes when you could still find them.

It's not a dead vintage reproduction to be sure, but I've heard it, I've used it, and I love this compressor. It should actually cost far more than it does.

http://www.mercenary.com/penes8twocha.html
It is a great compressor, but not anywhere in the world I am talking about. I would just use my pair of sta-levels if it was just about the 6386...

I have also looked into doal mono versions of the old AWA limiters, and I already have a collins 26W and a Collins 26-1U (the latter being the 6386 based)...

I am just really looking for experience with the ADL 670, or the tube equipment version... They both look really great to me. I like gear that (does something) just running through it, and the pendulum stuff does not fit that bill for me... just like the atomic squeezebox or a GML compressor... they just dont hear stuff the way I want it to be heard...