Can phantom kill a dynamic??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

buzzaudioguy
gettin' sounds

Can phantom kill a dynamic??

Post by buzzaudioguy » Tue May 09, 2006 9:48 am

So a couple of months ago one of my D112's died at the end of a live set I was recording. I was using a pair of Firepods. The phantom powers up in groups of 4 and I happened to have the D112 plugged into one group that was active. Now, I've run mics before on boards with phantom that was basically on or off for all channels, and I've never killed one of my dynamics. I've never liked the idea, and I've always heard and or read it wasn't the best idea, but can you actually kill a dynamic that way? I'm just wanting to know if anyone else thinks it's happened to them or if it's even possible. If it is, why the hell doesn't EVERY manufacture make phantom selectable on every seperate channel!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: Can phantom kill a dynamic??

Post by JGriffin » Tue May 09, 2006 10:02 am

buzzaudioguy wrote: why the hell doesn't EVERY manufacture make phantom selectable on every seperate channel!
money.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue May 09, 2006 10:17 am

I think if the mic has a transformer (SM57, SM58) it will "ignore" the +48, but if it doesn't (SM7B) the voltage will be sent right through the capsule. Remember that a dynamic element is basically a little tiny speaker hooked up backwards. So what happens when you run DC through a speaker? Instead of pushing and pulling the cone/coil back and forth as it does with AC, it'll just push and with a lot of voltage it could push hard enough that it could tear the cone or the foam or push the voice coil all the way out, I think it could also overheat the voice coil till it melts the insulation and shorts out.
I agree, that is LAME to not have individually selectable phantom! It saves them money, I guess, but come on, all you need is an SPST switch per channel, that's like a $2 part!

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue May 09, 2006 11:58 am

i'm a total space cadet and often throw a dynamic mic into a pre-amp and forget to switch the phantom power off. it's never ruined a mic so far(knock on wood).

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Tue May 09, 2006 12:15 pm

I use dynamic mic's all the time without switching off the phantom power. I have never lost a dynamic mic to phantom power yet.......drum sticks yes, phantom power, No.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

ToddP
audio school graduate

Post by ToddP » Tue May 09, 2006 3:14 pm

A-Barr wrote:I think if the mic has a transformer (SM57, SM58) it will "ignore" the +48, but if it doesn't (SM7B) the voltage will be sent right through the capsule.
It isn't the transformer, it is the balanced signal that makes phantom power is invisible to any dynamic that is correctly wired. It has been known to hurt ribbon mics that were not wired correctly, or had bad cables connected to them. I would not suspect phantom power as the culprit in this case however. What makes you suspect it?

wesimel
gettin' sounds

Post by wesimel » Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 pm

so if i do a tape op mod to my 57, and run phatom power through it, it will bust the capsule?

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue May 09, 2006 4:13 pm

It isn't the transformer, it is the balanced signal that makes phantom power is invisible to any dynamic that is correctly wired
Ahhh, ok, that makes sense. If you're putting +48VDC on the + and - terminals of the capsule, there is no voltage difference so the DC does not run through the capsule!

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Tue May 09, 2006 4:34 pm

A-Barr wrote:
It isn't the transformer, it is the balanced signal that makes phantom power is invisible to any dynamic that is correctly wired
Ahhh, ok, that makes sense. If you're putting +48VDC on the + and - terminals of the capsule, there is no voltage difference so the DC does not run through the capsule!
Yup. The only way this might kill a capsule is if one side of the capsule is grounded by deteriorated insulation or maybe being mis-wired. (OK, there might be other ways... ) :hammer:
Tangent Studios

buzzaudioguy
gettin' sounds

Post by buzzaudioguy » Tue May 09, 2006 8:52 pm

ToddP wrote:
A-Barr wrote:I think if the mic has a transformer (SM57, SM58) it will "ignore" the +48, but if it doesn't (SM7B) the voltage will be sent right through the capsule.
It isn't the transformer, it is the balanced signal that makes phantom power is invisible to any dynamic that is correctly wired. It has been known to hurt ribbon mics that were not wired correctly, or had bad cables connected to them. I would not suspect phantom power as the culprit in this case however. What makes you suspect it?
I don't suspect it so much as I just wanted some other opinions. I've never had anything like this happen before but I always wondered if something like this might happen. So when the mic died it just made me think. Point is I don't want to fry any more mics if indeed it is due to phantom power, but it sounds like this isn't the case. I do know to watch it with ribbons, but aside from that I think I won't sweat it next time I have to plug another dynamic into a hot channel. Thanks!

DaViDB112
pluggin' in mics

Post by DaViDB112 » Thu May 11, 2006 7:32 am

You should open the mic up and check that capsual . i have never lost a microphone , dynamic that is , through the use of phantom power.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu May 11, 2006 3:11 pm

A-Barr wrote:I agree, that is LAME to not have individually selectable phantom! It saves them money, I guess, but come on, all you need is an SPST switch per channel, that's like a $2 part!
True enough, but remember that the average price structure in the audio world is 3x parts cost equals dealer cost and 5x parts equals MSRP. So a $2 part means $10 more at MSRP across maybe even just 4 channels means $40 more and that means somebody buys the Behringer board instead. That's the same reason meters leave the boards quickly even though they are so essential, especially for novice users.

As for the phantom power killing a D-112, I would really doubt that. If it could have possibly done so it would mean there was something wrong in the wiring that caused a short or something - in which case the short killed the mic.
My guess would be that there was a weak/loose/cold solder joint inside that broke off, or the transformer was bad and shorted internally, which wouldn't harm the mic capsule but would shut it down.

Phantom does, however, have the ability to kill ribbon mics dead.

-J

swishniak
audio school graduate

Post by swishniak » Thu May 11, 2006 4:11 pm

[quote="A-Barr"]
Phantom does, however, have the ability to kill ribbon mics dead.
-J[/quote]

yeah - apparently neither dynamics or ribbons should be affected by the phanton power (thats what that 3rd little prong is for?) but shouldnt actually be plugged into a phanton powered strip. at least according to most manuals i've read.

ive always been way more careful with my ribbon than with dynamics - but this makes me think..

i guess thats why they call it phantom - lurking there, waiting for an unsuspecting victim.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Thu May 11, 2006 7:49 pm

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men (and their consoles)? No, wait. That's the Shadow. Sorry.