Bouncing to disk in ProTools LE 6.4 - Why is it real time?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

Bouncing to disk in ProTools LE 6.4 - Why is it real time?

Post by Phobos » Wed May 10, 2006 10:47 am

I have what I hope is a stupid question. I am currently using a Digi001 and ProTools LE 6.4 because that is the most recent version that will still work with the 001. It works just fine, with one frustration (aside from the inability to upgrade). When I bounce sessions down to 16 bit files for burning to CD, or to MP3 (yes I had to buy the MP3 "option") I have to play the entire song for each bounce. This can be problematic when there are lots of songs and I have a client waiting patiently for the CD to take home. I am getting close to buying my next DAW, and I'm not sure if I am going to stick with ProTools or move to MOTU or something. Whatever I buy, I want to make sure that I can render 16 bit files or MP3s QUICKLY -- not in "real time." Any advice? I would hope that the latest version of ProTools has solved this problem -- or I am being a dumbass and there is some way to do this even in 6.4 that I am not aware of?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 10, 2006 11:29 am

No, ProTools v7 still bounces in real time.

I seem to recall Vegas and Acid bounced faster than real time.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed May 10, 2006 11:46 am

its stupid and annoying....

but i have to say its saved my ass more than once...

that last minute check...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 10, 2006 2:23 pm

If you're using outboard gear it totally makes sense.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Wed May 10, 2006 4:50 pm

Drives me nuts too.

One of the few logical things in Logic is you can choose to bounce in real time or not...

Tony

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Wed May 10, 2006 6:38 pm

dwlb wrote:If you're using outboard gear it totally makes sense.
I think thats why they bounce in real time. Too bad its not an option.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed May 10, 2006 9:28 pm

Yeah, that's the way it happens.

No offence to anyone, please, but clients sometimes need to get a little lesson in patience. I've seen many sessions where, at like half-past waaaay too late the client wants roughs of 15 songs. Um.... :)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Post by charlievela » Wed May 10, 2006 9:50 pm

I've seen many sessions where, at like half-past waaaay too late the client wants roughs of 15 songs. Um....
This can be especially frustrating when you're scheduled to come back in the next morning, and you KNOW there's no way they're going to even have a chance to listen to the rough mixes between now and then.

On the other hand, the customer is always right, and sleep is for the weak![/quote]

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed May 10, 2006 11:35 pm

Just bounce internally into a stereo track in ProTools when you're doing your final previews to the client. Export the bounced mix in the region list when you're done. Voila.

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Thu May 11, 2006 12:07 am

votemiles wrote:Just bounce internally into a stereo track in ProTools when you're doing your final previews to the client. Export the bounced mix in the region list when you're done. Voila.
Yeah, what he said. It's no different than printing your mixes, like you would do in a "proffesional" studio. I've had to spend as much as 2 hours printing a mix(with stems). It sucks, but hey, it makes pro tools a little more like tape, right? I'd reccomend doing it that way anyway, as a lot of people think boucing degrades the quality.

shift+apple+k to export
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Thu May 11, 2006 12:11 am

what now? I gotta try this.
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu May 11, 2006 6:31 am

charlievela wrote:
I've seen many sessions where, at like half-past waaaay too late the client wants roughs of 15 songs. Um....
On the other hand, the customer is always right, and sleep is for the weak!
Sleep may be for the weak, but burnout is for the foolish and inexperienced. :wink:

After all my years doing it, the customer isn't always right. That is, when it's time to call it a day, it's time to call it a day. "Pushing through" is the exception, not the rule.

Back on topic: I don't know why there isn't a "offline" non-realtime render in PT, either, but I suspect its something to do with the easily available access to outboard sends and returns, and the ability to rewire and all that...
Should be an option if you're only working within PT, though.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu May 11, 2006 10:15 am

Yep, seems like the bigger discussion should be about budgeting time to do roughs at the end of a session. As has been stated earlier on this thread, real-time rough mixes are what would have to happen in a tape-based studio anyway.

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Phobos » Thu May 11, 2006 2:05 pm

Just bounce internally into a stereo track in ProTools when you're doing your final previews to the client. Export the bounced mix in the region list when you're done. Voila.
How do you do this? I'm not sure how to bounce the entire mix to a stereo track (in the same PT session I'm assuming?) in a way that's not real time. Do you still use the Bounce to Disk function, or is there another way? If this is possible, then I love you. :oops:

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Fri May 12, 2006 7:39 am

Great idea!

But how is "bouncing" to a stereo track any different? This new stereo track simply resides in the session instead of another folder. I'm just not sure how it would sound any better.

But as a time saver, great idea!