F@$K the F@$king Beatles!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Thu May 11, 2006 10:26 pm

Dirty, what you said about learning principles is exactly what I just said.
You might want to re-read your original post, homey.

Anyway, I don't think you're a bad guy just cause you're struggling with this. Everybody does. I think it's a natural part of learning, wanting to push boundaries and not do what everyone else is doing. Just try to remember how you sound to others when you do it.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri May 12, 2006 5:54 am

dwlb wrote:Anti-Beatles threads are getting as common around here as analog vs. digital threads. It's kind of tiresome.

In my experience, people who say things like "I have prided myself on NOT knowing what people have done in the past" actually end up making pretty dull music.

But from a "this guy wants to be a pro engineer someday" standpoint, I'll offer this up in the interest of being civil and constructive: The last 50 years of rock music (not to even get into other genres and hundreds of years of classical and folk etc.) inform musicians in a way that provides a common set of reference points that makes communication easier. you may be putting together something completely original but still use the Beatles, Sinatra, Elvis, The Eagles, you name it as shorthand for what you're trying to accomplish. If a musician says he wants a John Lennon/Instant Karma vocal echo, or a Fleetwood Mac-type thing on the drums, or he thinks the record should have a feel like Carole King's "Tapestry," or the backup vocals should sound like a country/gospel Johnny Cash record from the '70s, those are clues, not neccesarily requests for direct replication. The more of those common touchpoints you can access in your brain, the easier it'll be to bring the music out the way the artist wants it to sound. This may actually be more important to a career as an engineer than knowing the difference between Blumlein and Mid/Side.
This is pretty much on the money. Unless you're going to record for free and for fun, you'll most likely be employed by someone else. Even if you own your own studio you'll be employed by bands, singers, etc. If someone wants a certain sound, you've got to give it to them. It's that simple. If you didn't, you'd be like an interior decorator that shows up and paints the walls a different color than what the client wanted. When confronted, what would you say? "I'm an artist?"

You may not even disagree with me. You may be thinking "yeah I know, but why do the Beatles matter more than someone else?" I agree that the Beatles are way too hyped (although unlike yourself, i'm not sick of hearing about them). They're used as a common reference point along with countless other bands. Artists that paint/draw/sculpt pieces that are representative of real life (not abstract artists) start by copying other peoples' work. They copy Michaelangelo. . .not Steve from down the street.

Maybe i'm ranting too, so i'll wrap this up. Don't be so down on the Beatles. It's fine not to like them though. I could have just as well started a "F@$K F@$king Nirvana" thread a few years back. I liked them when I was growing up and then as I got to college and discovered other music I decided that I hated them. I'm still not a big fan but apreciate what they did and really don't mind them anymore. (although I don't know how much I could listen to) Just keep your options open. Going to school (any school) is about opening your mind. If someone else is trying to forcefeed you one point of view, LET THEM. But at the same time get MORE information from elsewhere!

-James

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri May 12, 2006 7:05 am

It is interesting that so many of you are kicking this kids ass about his attitude and how it would translate into a session. The more I come to understand the "people skills" of the studio...it seems to be largely a matter of not just who has technical skills (good ears), but who is actually enjoyable to work with. I keep reading stories of engineers who get their big break because they were at the right time and the right place and and it just so happened that somebody just liked them as a person.

So am I right in saying that this isn't a matter of anybody being threatend by his dislike for the beatles...just a matter of his unteachability? I am thinking of some of the other threads about interns and how interns are supposed to shut up and never offer their opinion. I am assuming that this kid would have real trouble with that.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri May 12, 2006 7:33 am

bannerj wrote: So am I right in saying that this isn't a matter of anybody being threatend by his dislike for the beatles...just a matter of his unteachability? I am thinking of some of the other threads about interns and how interns are supposed to shut up and never offer their opinion. I am assuming that this kid would have real trouble with that.
I don't feel threatened at all. I'm sure most of the people here would SAY the same. I think the point here, though, is that he's 21 and learning all of this new technology. He's aproaching it as 100% art which is FINE if that's what he wants to do. I also think it's fine if he hates the Beatles. I'm just reminding him to keep the brain open at all times.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri May 12, 2006 11:32 am

Recording engineers are not artists. If you want to "do yer own thang", form a band. Sing. Whatever. Don't engineer.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri May 12, 2006 11:51 am

votemiles wrote:Recording engineers are not artists. If you want to "do yer own thang", form a band. Sing. Whatever. Don't engineer.
wow...I guess we need to qualify what "artist" means in this situation. Engineers are supposed to do what they are told, but at some point in some way they are making artistic and creative decisions...right?

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri May 12, 2006 12:02 pm

but at some point in some way they are making artistic and creative decisions...right?
I have no idea why some people want to make what we do seem more glamorous or "creative" than it actually is. Personally, I take the most pride in not fucking up when I'm on a session.

rydberg
pushin' record

Re: F@$K the F@$king Beatles!

Post by rydberg » Fri May 12, 2006 12:22 pm

surf's up wrote:Not always following what people have done in the past, sure. But not taking the time to learn a little about the history, thats just lazy arrogance.
Anybody read the interview with that guy from All American Rejects in a recent Rolling Stone? He admitted to loving musical theater, owning a grand total of 4 albums and only attending 4 shows in his life. Also said Good Vibrations was his favorite song on Pet Sounds. :roll:

I know nothing about that band at all. Now I'm inclined to care even less.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Get back to bitch slapping each other. But don't make Chris pull this car over, do you hear me?! You don't want him to pull over!

P.

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Fri May 12, 2006 12:30 pm

I've come to appreciate the foundations of engineering, and just kinda went back to learning them. I never really did, I just thought I could record. It didn't work our too well for me. I'm not saying this is the way it goes for everybody, some people can just go to it and do a great job. Creative-wise I would think, everytime the kick drum hits I want to open a gate that has the sound of a lawn mower or static. Well that sounds like it would be great but I had to learn about gates until I could even attempt it..Just enjoy what your doing. People in a class can drive you crazy. But I've realized over the years that there are, for lack of a better word, "rules" using the term loose. But it's not what the Beatles did, it's more why they did it...
Good luck,
Brian

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Fri May 12, 2006 1:29 pm

You're just venting. Not a huge deal. Try to seperate the hype from the facts and history. I imagine that in time, you'll get over it after being removed from the hype long enough, and you may actually gain interest.

As far as not wanting to hear too much about how they did things in order to do something new, there are a few things about the Beatles recordings that are historically interesting. At that time, engineers applied real scientific method to the process of recording, and these methods are worth understanding. On the other hand, the Beatles were also breaking some of these rules and finding new sounds in the process. They are also a good reference because they were so profoundly influential on the music of the next 40 years, both artistically and technologically.

One thing people tend to do a lot while in school is spew out all the information they've been learning. This is probably what's getting to you. Next time someone talks about the Beatles using 47's and Fairchilds, perhaps ask: "Why do you suppose they chose 47s? How many condensor microphone options did a person have in 1966? How many options did a person have when it came to compression in 1966? Why a 47 and not a ... or maybe a... hmmm... okay c12, what else could they have used?"

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Fri May 12, 2006 6:09 pm

stuff the haters - i get really tired of hearing about the beatles, too. just like i get tired of hearing about moogs and fenders and etc etc etc. everybody knows they're great, so let's move on.

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

Post by amishsixstringer » Fri May 12, 2006 7:03 pm

I'm glad this is becoming a little more civilized. I really didn't mean to start a war or anything of the such. I agree with the post about students just spilling what they've learned. I am at school to learn. I wouldn't be here if I didn't WANT to learn. I guess, I should be a little bit happy in some way. If I know the information that everyone in class knows, but then I go out of my way to teach myself some things and experiment a little, I'll know that much more. This IS an art. I don't care what anyone says. The producer side of me has a lot of influence on a song's form and content. So, I don't write the songs...So what? I listen to the song and adapt my painting around it. I decide what mics/pres to use, where to put them, how to process them, and ultimately IIII paint the picture that the band told me to paint. However, I am a medium with a biased view, so my opinions dictate the final project. Of course, if the band comes and says "I hate that. Make it this way", I must conform. If I wasn't an important part of the art, the band would do it themselves. Some bands do this...and it usually sounds like butt. Oh well. I was just venting my thoughts for the moment. I'm generally a pretty ok guy. I bottle up a lot of my thoughts and then they come out all at once. I appreciate all of your feedback and such. super. cool.

Neil

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 12, 2006 7:20 pm

votemiles wrote:Personally, I take the most pride in not fucking up when I'm on a session.
That makes two of us.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Fri May 12, 2006 9:57 pm

Neil, I don't think we all meant to gang up on you... and you're attitude of "learning everything everybody else does and then learning more" is PERFECT man. I didn't mean to be so "uncivil" in tone... i only realized how it might have come off when I just reread the post... alot of people in this forum can be slightly hypersensitive when it comes to the Beatles (myself included)... but their importance is derived not just from what they did but from the fact that a large % of the music that came after them was made using their recording and musical techniques... those dozen records are basically the blueprint for ALMOST all rock/pop music of the last 35 years... that's why they're so important (to many of us). Best of luck to you man.

I'm a songwriter, guitarist originally and have been recording seriously now for about 3-4 years (computer-based - 4 trk cassette since I was a teenager - you know, the kind of guy that's killing the studio business)... I am completely self-taught when it comes to "engineering" and recording and I see the job of engineering as definitely "artistic"... its as if a painter had to have someone pick his colors or paint for him... I don't know about the "artist" title but its definitely a "creative and artsitic" endeavor.

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

virtualguthrie
ass engineer

forget the beatles!!!!???!!!!

Post by virtualguthrie » Fri May 12, 2006 10:40 pm

I'm not even going to read the first post b4 I respond so it is pure.... I hate the damn Beatles, they suck, there I said it. That being said I really love the Beatles, well at least some of it. There is no denying the relevance, importance, and brilliance of some of there catalogue. That being said, they still suck, the Stones are better and they have no soul. Whew, I think I might get hated on for this... All you guys are really cool though, even if you like the Beatles. Peace