F@$K the F@$king Beatles!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sat May 27, 2006 3:21 am

i think maybe they bring up the beatles because they want you to understand the root of where it all came from. what they did back then was more nescesity, than style. anybody can create a record on 32 tracks these days, but they came from a day where it in some cases they only had one track to create a mastepiece. its always good to know where we are in music, and life, but sometimes its better to start off, and understand where it all came from.
building blocks, ya know?

you'll never learn anything if we just hand it to you.

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Sat May 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Satan Beatles Mommy Hippies Kerry Athens Dreadlocks Satan Doggies Satan Mothers Satan 4 Tracks Rednecks Shotguns Hippies Satan Beatles Black Sabbath Pro Tools Ohio Desert Satan Daddy Peace Corp Hot Salsa Tomatoes Jesus Ghandi Satan Paul Ringo Mick and Satan Stones or Beatles Aliens or Monkeys Meth out Wal Mart Hippie Satan Iraq WMD Reagan Jello Biafra Pitchforks Brimstone Mommy Satan.

Hey, I did a track for that aquabear comp. 333's "Cry Baby Cry". Go Ohio!!!

And y'know, I grew up on the beatles, they are alright, the Mothers are a lot better, the beatles aren't the mystical "bestest thingy ever", and as far as whitebelt haircuts go they can jump in the lake with the holier than thou attitude, but you shouldn't get so angry about what others are doing and embrace whatever it is you love and show the world why it means so much to you. Nu-metal sucks, but I sure like that stoner-metal!!!
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

Xtopher
audio school

Post by Xtopher » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:27 pm

Why waste time completely bashing a band that has insane recognition in recording and has gone down in history as having recordings with some of the most longevity ever, when you can be in the studio experimenting with new and unique sounds so you can create YOUR own distinct sound to shut up anyone who tells you "The Beatles' recordings were the greatest ever."?

Go invent a new sound!!

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmligt » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:46 pm

Say what you want about the beatles, but leave Athens out of it. Those "hippies" probably believe in karma and it's gonna get you.....maybe even "instantly" ZING!!!

In all seriousness I enjoyed the audio program at OU and my time in Athens (after 7 years here leaving in Sept. I'll miss it.) The degree is what you make of it. It gave me the chance to do a lot of recording and I learned a good bit. For such a small town it has a great, diverse music scene with a lot of talented people. While I agree that taking the whole "the beatles did it so it must be good" mentality is stupid, but "hating" the band will get you nowhere.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:48 pm

Umm, what's the point of this thread?
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:50 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:Umm, what's the point of this thread?
young kid in recording school started an inflammatory thread about what he perceives to be an inordinate amount of Beatle-worship amongst engineers/engineering students, and as could probably be predicted, some folks came out to flame him, and some came out to say "right on, brother."

so the point of this thread is: Opinions are like assholes: TOMB's got a bunch of 'em.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:49 pm

dwlb wrote:
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:Umm, what's the point of this thread?
young kid in recording school started an inflammatory thread about what he perceives to be an inordinate amount of Beatle-worship amongst engineers/engineering students, and as could probably be predicted, some folks came out to flame him, and some came out to say "right on, brother."

so the point of this thread is: Opinions are like assholes: TOMB's got a bunch of 'em.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

effector
takin' a dinner break

Re: opinions are like assholes

Post by effector » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:31 pm

don't you mean 'everyone's stinks but mine'?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: opinions are like assholes

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:27 am

effector wrote:don't you mean 'everyone's stinks but mine'?
Not at all. I'm totally willing to admit I'm an asshole. And wrong much of the time.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:45 am

But what about the @#%^&* Tax!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh